If no starter upgrade: eight man bullpen?

Frobby

They were just kicking this around on Wall to Wall Baseball, and the more I think about it, the more I think it will be a necessity. Keep an optionable guy as the 8th man and run the shuttle back and forth to Norfolk as necessary. We're going to have a ton of games where the bullpen pitches the 6th inning and earlier. That also may explain why the O's wanted Navarro, who can be shuttled back and forth if there are periods when an 8th bullpen guy isn't needed.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They were just kicking this around on Wall to Wall Baseball, and the more I think about it, the more I think it will be a necessity. Keep an optionable guy as the 8th man and run the shuttle back and forth to Norfolk as necessary. We're going to have a ton of games where the bullpen pitches the 6th inning and earlier. That also may explain why the O's wanted Navarro, who can be shuttled back and forth if there are periods when an 8th bullpen guy isn't needed.
If that's the case then goodbye to one of Reimold/Rickard.

That's right with Navarro rotating back when they option the 8th pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're onto something. Getting a guy with an option was obviously the tie break between he and Hoes. I believe the only guys battling for a 25 man spot that have no options are Roe, Bundy on the pitching side and Paredes, Rickard as hitters.

I could see several scenarios where DD could really use the 40 man roster and shuttle players back and forth.

Anytime the 5th SP pitches(Worley) we can call up Macfarland, Jones, Wright, Wilson that day to piece together 5-6 IP. Then you have 4-5 days in between starts where you can send the extra arm down for a bat like Herrera, Urrutia, Alvarez, Walker and Mancini. Or a BP arm like Garcia, Drake, Rifenhauser, one of the AAA SP's. Say we need a RH bat to DH vs a LHP for a day, then we could call up Walker or Mancini. The O's did this with Walker once last year in Minnesota.

Lots of flexibility if we go that route. Definitely means only one of Rickard and Paredes make it and only one of Roe/Bundy make it on the initial 25 man.

The fact we are talking about this means DD isn't doing his job. Pitching is primatily(not entirely)why we didn't make the playoffs last year.

He is "amazed" at the cost of starting pitching. Really? Many of us aren't hence we objected to you trading away our options in the minors.

I don't think DD is awful but he sure does get a huge pass on here. Hold people accountable.

Passing on Fister when he only required one year is puzzling. Maybe they know something, fair enough, but discussing these other options seem bordering on pathetic.

Archived