Mancini, Walker and Trumbo react to Chris Davis signing

Frobby

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mancini is obviously a beast. I really hope we don't trade him. Make him a DH and give him some starts at 1st on occasion... keep him in the mix! He's probably our best position prospect right now.

I like Trumbo as power off the bench, or a DH, but not an everyday guy in right or anywhere other than first... where Davis will be living.

I could see a midseason trade of Trumbo, with Mancini coming up to fill the DH role while relieving Davis at first once a week or something.

I like Walker, too, but he looks like pure trade bait at this point to me.

Mancini is obviously a beast. I really hope we don't trade him. Make him a DH and give him some starts at 1st on occasion... keep him in the mix! He's probably our best position prospect right now.

I like Trumbo as power off the bench, or a DH, but not an everyday guy in right or anywhere other than first... where Davis will be living.

I could see a midseason trade of Trumbo, with Mancini coming up to fill the DH role while relieving Davis at first once a week or something.

Walker will get little in return. If Mancini can bring in some good pitching prospects we really need to consider moving him.

Maybe you should at least wait until ST to anoint him king.

I would not expect either to be happy about Davis staying, that is only human nature.

Walker will get little in return. If Mancini can bring in some good pitching prospects we really need to consider moving him.

I'd be perfectly fine with trading either one of them for something else we need, so long as it benefits us in the long run, not just 2016. Right now we have Davis camped at 1B for the foreseeable future, with Reyes coming up behind Walker and Mancini and likely to be moved to 1B at some point. In other words, having a good AAA prospect at 1B is not really a big priority right now. So trade one for something that is a higher priority. Yes, we could use them at DH, but that may not be their best use, if they could fetch us someone who can help in other areas (including equivalent-valued prospects who play other positions or are pitchers).

Maybe you should at least wait until ST to anoint him king.

I would not expect either to be happy about Davis staying, that is only human nature.

And maybe you should stop twisting peoples' words around. Nobody said he was king. But he is a real prospect... and possibly our best prospect.

I'm not saying he's untouchable. But he should be valued very, very highly... not another DD trade for spare parts.

And maybe you should stop twisting peoples' words around. Nobody said he was king. But he is a real prospect... and possibly our best prospect.

I'm not saying he's untouchable. But he should be valued very, very highly... not another DD trade for spare parts.

You said he was a beast, and my viewpoint, he is only a real prospect that has no experience above AA.

That could see some activity this year, in Sept call-ups.

Keep in mind, people in OH was calling Walker a beast, until he came up and didn't show too much. Granted that was a SSS, and he isn't out of options, but he is older, and the door is starting to close on him.

I agree with your conclusion that he should not be traded for spare parts, but let's not get carried away with how valuable he is. BA ranks him 8th among our prospects; fangraphs ranks him 10th; BP ranks him 6th. I haven't seen any publication suggest that he's on or close to a national top 100 list.

I'd be perfectly fine with trading either one of them for something else we need, so long as it benefits us in the long run, not just 2016. Right now we have Davis camped at 1B for the foreseeable future, with Reyes coming up behind Walker and Mancini and likely to be moved to 1B at some point. In other words, having a good AAA prospect at 1B is not really a big priority right now. So trade one for something that is a higher priority. Yes, we could use them at DH, but that may not be their best use, if they could fetch us someone who can help in other areas (including equivalent-valued prospects who play other positions or are pitchers).

I ultimately just want us to replenish our pitching prospects via trades. We have an asset at 1B (I remember when that was a black hole 5-6 years ago, pretty shocking) lets us it.

Good point on Reyes I forgot a lot of folks project him to move to 1B.

Mancini isn't obviously anything. He's not well thought of outside this board. He's not on national lists anywhere and is generally regarded outside the top 5 in a weak system. His value is consistently overblown around here. I don't think a whole lot of him now and won't until he learns balls from strikes. You have to be a good offensive player to have value at first base, he doesn't have defensive talent to play anywhere else, and it's hard to be good enough offensively as a first baseman with a 4 percent walk rate.

Archived