MLB.Com : Contact In and Outside The Strike Zone

Can_of_corn

Really solid piece using Statcast data.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163724116/statcast-shows-exit-velo-inside-strike-zone

Exit velocity, MLB, 2015

In strike zone: 91.0 mph

Out of zone: 83.2 mph

zone_percentage_2008_15_zy2sc0yg_6pzi93dj.jpg

What that means is that pitchers know that hitters are too often watching hittable first pitches fly by in hopes of working the pitch count, but that's an offensive strategy that's long past its expiration date.

The Orioles Hackathon is using the statcast data from the last three season I hear from srock.

It's a tremendous resource.

Like with this piece, sure we all knew that results will be better for the hitter if they swing at pitches in the zone but the numbers are significantly greater than I would have expected. I was also surprised to see the information contained in that chart I posted. I figured with the K and BB numbers we have been seeing that pitchers would have been in the zone more often.

It's a tremendous resource.

Like with this piece, sure we all knew that results will be better for the hitter if they swing at pitches in the zone but the numbers are significantly greater than I would have expected. I was also surprised to see the information contained in that chart I posted. I figured with the K and BB numbers we have been seeing that pitchers would have been in the zone more often.

That is truly surprising, because as with all things baseball, the strike zone is completely arbitrary. But uniquely artistic.

That is truly surprising, because as with all things baseball, the strike zone is completely arbitrary. But uniquely artistic.

It's not like the zone were measured for the perfect place to hit a 100 mph pitch with a 113 MPH bat at. With the right amount of loft.

Just below that article is another article about the teams that generate the highest exit velocity in baseball. The Orioles come in at no. 5, at 90.6 mph:

5. Orioles

Average exit velocity: 90.6 mph

Baltimore's two key moves so far this offseason -- re-signing Chris Davis and acquiring Mark Trumbo from Seattle -- are the reason the O's cracked the top five. Believe it or not, Trumbo actually finished eighth in the Majors last year (minimum 100 balls in play) with a 94.2-mph average exit velocity. Toss in Davis (93.1 mph) and all-around talent Manny Machado (93.2 mph), and the Orioles become one of just two teams to enter the spring with three players who had an average exit velocity of at least 93 mph last year. Beyond those three, Jonathan Schoop could be poised for a breakout season after registering a 91.5-mph average exit velocity in limited action, while veterans Adam Jones (89.8 mph) and Matt Wieters (88.1 mph) could boost the team average even further if they manage to stay healthy.

Given the data in the OP, imagine what the average exit velocity of Jones and Schoop would be if they didn't swing at so many pitches outside the zone.

Archived