Melo/Carter/Stone - who goes pro/who stays?

Gofannon

I have done a little research (not much), and everything I look at has Stone and Trimble in the first round. I have yet to see Carter even drafted, much more in the first round. I hope he stays around. I love his game. We also don't have anyone ready to step into his position (admitting that Dodd/Cheko are no Stone and Cowan/Brantley are no Trimble).

Stone needs a lot of work and won't be top pick this year so I predict he returns. Melo is gone and might look nice with Wall. Carter doesn't wow me. 50-50 on him.:cool:

Diamond Stone could really benefit from a year in college BUT he could probably get that same benefit by being a pro. Now that he has lost the weight he needed to lose, he needs to add muscle to that body. I think he leaves.

Carter's work on 3 point shooting has been, in part, to make himself appealing at the next level since he knows he would be an undersized 4 in the NBA. He might not want to stick around and be 23 going into the draft. He will never be more than a late 1st round pick at best (and that's doubtful). I think he ends up staying but have no real reason to back that up.

I'm not really sure on Melo. I don't think his draft stock will go up from sticking around so it really just becomes a question of whether he wants to stay in school or get to the league as soon as possible. I still don't know if he has the ability to be a great starting PG in the NBA. I absolutely love him but he isn't an elite athlete compared to NBA guards and his handling has been a little loose at times this year and outside shot has been inconsistent. If he thinks he could tighten those up by staying maybe he stays. I really don't know what he is going to do.

Melo and Stone have to be gone after this year. If the season was over right now it would be no question I can't imagine after a strong showing into March.

Carter definitely is the question mark, but my gut feeling is he is gone as well, especially if he keeps playing like he did against Purdue.

I say Carter is most likely coming back.

I'm hoping at least one of either Melo or Stone will be back, but I'll probably be disappointed. Is it completely outside the realm of possibilities that all three come back? They could all use another year of college, IMO. Even Melo.

Probably about a 5% chance Stone comes back, 10% for Melo.

Carter's gone. All three are gone. Only Stone has a tiny tiny shot at staying, but knowing the other starters will be gone (especially Trimble) will basically force his hand.

I just don't see why Carter would leave, but I guess plenty of worse players than him have entered the draft.

Melo and Stone have to be gone after this year. If the season was over right now it would be no question I can't imagine after a strong showing into March.

Carter definitely is the question mark, but my gut feeling is he is gone as well, especially if he keeps playing like he did against Purdue.

Agree with this pretty much word for word. Carter's the only one that I have any hope of coming back, but I think he leaves as well. Remember he's a 4th-year junior due to the transfer, so my guess he's ready to see what can do at the next level.

Stone is a lock for the lottery - because of the metrics. Even though he's nowhere near a finished project, his stats project as the best on the team.

Carter is not a lock to leave. He's still looked at as a 2nd rounder in the internet mocks - for whatever that's worth. If he stays another year and gets his 3 point percentage up, he could show he's a prototype new ear stretch 4. My guess is he comes out only if someone guarantees him he'll go in round 1 - and that's not a sure thing.

Trimble will likely leave, but I don't think it's a sure thing - probably 60/40 - depending on how he finishes the season. He also might insist on a guarantee. Thing is - he is what he is, so I'm not sure how he increases his stock next year.

I think Stone is a lock to leave though we'd all love to see what he could do with another years under his belt. Unless he feels he can become the top pick next season, as long as he's projected as a lottery pick, I can't imagine him coming back.

Trimble is interesting because he's not a prototypical NBA guard. As good as Trimble has been at times, his outside shot has been off and on and his ball handling skills can be good at times, but he can be a turnover machine, especially when he's pressured. Trumble is not really that quick overall, especially NBA quick. He can drive occasionally when he finds seams in the defense, and his IQ is above average, but I don't see him being a lottery pick even with all the accolades he will get after this season. Maybe, just maybe he comes back if the Terps come up short and he believes he can improve his draft stock with another year.

Carter to me is going to start going up NBA draft boards and if he puts together a great tourney, he might be gone as well. However, if Trimble and Stone leaves, he'll get a lot more shots and his numbers could look a lot better if he stays another year. If he's not definitely in the 1st round i could see him staying and being counted on for a lot of offense next year.

Trimble is gone imo. He's shown he can be a primary ball-handler. His shooting is off, but I'm pretty sure that's just a blip in the radar for him. (His A:TO ratio is improved from last year, and he's allowed fewer TOs than Steph Curry did out of college.)

I personally don't think Stone is ready. Good player, but he really needs to figure out how to position for rebounds. He was not nearly the post presence that Wilcox or Anthony Davis were during their walk years.

Carter is more likely to go. He's already a JR and unlikely to improve his draft standing much more in his senior year. He has already demonstrated that he has the jumper to be a 3 in the NBA, which is what he needed given his size.

Archived