• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we use Steamer's 3.4 fWAR in 2016 as the start of an aging curve we can begin to assess Strasburg's future value. According to work done by Bill Petti at Fangraphs, starting pitchers start to decline after turning 27, which means we may have seen the best Strasburg has to offer. It won’t be an abrupt decline, but we can assume his performance will start to taper off from here on out. If we assume his wins above replacement will decrease each year by half a win for aging effects, and the cost in free agency will rise by five percent per year, Strasburg would be worth $151 million on a five-year deal beginning in 2017 and close to $200 million over a 10-year span.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/02/16/stephen-strasburg-is-planning-to-test-free-agency-heres-what-hes-worth/?tid=hybrid_collaborative_1_na

• 3 weeks later...
Redskins Rick said:

In my best Jim Nabors voice: SHAZAM, Surprise, Surprise, Surprise !!! ) :)

o

Speaking of Jim Nabors, in the summer of 1980 I was watching a repeat of Gomer Pyle, USMC.

In the episode, a small child conned them into taking him to a Washington Senators game at DC Stadium (now RFK Stadium.)

I looked it up and sure enough, here it is ......

A Small Child Shall Lead Them  ) ) (Season 4, Episode 8)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0589913/

o

• 3 weeks later...

o

Neil Greenberg of the Washington Post projects the Mets to edge the Nationals by a game this upcoming season:

Mets OOOOOO.o (89-73)

Nationals OOlll) (88-74)

Marlins OOOO)l. (79-83)

Braves OOOOO) (68-94)

Phillies OOOOOl (64-98)

NL East Preview: Mets and Nationals Once Again Square Off for the Top Spot

(By Neil Greenberg)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/03/28/nl-east-preview-mets-and-nats-once-again-square-off-for-the-top-spot/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_sports

• 2 weeks later...

They lost their home opener to an ok at best Marlins team. I don't trust their pitching. Another thing, their announcers are garbage. Play by play guy said that a baserunner stealing 2nd, catcher missing the throw and the runner heading to 3rd and making it was no big deal. Bloop hit scores the runner, Marlins go up. We complain about Bordick and Hunter, we'd burn these announcers at the stake if they called an O's game.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nationals are overrated and they're headed for a fall. This month they've feasted on MLB's worst: Twins (Exb.). Braves. Marlins. Braves. Phillies. Marlins. Twins.

Starting this week they're going up against the Cardinals, Royals, Cubs and Tigers. Sure their SOS and mediocre division are probably going to net them at least a wildcard berth, but they won't get beyond the NLDS (as usual).

Archived