2016 Chicago Cubs

backwardsk

Should be the favorite in the NL Central. This is a team that can spend big on FA and has an outstanding group of young talent.

They've received positive reviews from Fangraphs for their offseason.

I think the Castro for Warren trade was a nice under the radar move. I like Russell and Baez better and Warren has versatility for the pitching staff.

It appears that they may try to convert the best RF to CF. How much will that affect his value?

Where will they play Baez?

They have good problems with the roster as they have more good players than positions.

They ended up losing their two first round picks as they signed Lackey and Heyward.

Do you think they are the team to beat in the NL and would you have approached the offseason differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should be the favorite in the NL Central. This is a team that can spend big on FA and has an outstanding group of young talent.

They've received positive reviews from Fangraphs for their offseason.

I think the Castro for Warren trade was a nice under the radar move. I like Russell and Baez better and Warren has versatility for the pitching staff.

It appears that they may try to convert the best RF to CF. How much will that affect his value?

Where will they play Baez?

They have good problems with the roster as they have more good players than positions.

They ended up losing their two first round picks as they signed Lackey and Heyward.

Do you think they are the team to beat in the NL and would you have approached the offseason differently?

Baez is going to be a super utility and play all over the place (including OF) to keep everyone fresh. I liked most everything they did this offseason. Would have been interesting to see them make a play for Grienke or Price, but I think they want Arrieta long term and do not want to have three big deals for arms, all getting expensive at the same time. Would have liked to see them maybe make a harder play for Shelby Miller or JBJ and one of the Red Sox young arms. Thought there was room for a three-way deal there.

How many PAs do you see Baez getting. If everyone's healthy, it's going to be tough to get him 400. Is there concern that inconsistent PT can harm his development?

Who do you think gets the fifth spot? I think Cahill may end up being the best option.

I don't think they harmed themselves this offseason by any means, but I'd have explored a different approach than giving up a pick for Lackey and paying a 37-38 yo Zobrist $29M.

Maybe Price (I think he'd take the same contract that Bos gave him), keep Fowler, sign a back up infielder like Drew. Similar money in 2016 for those six. Rotation is stronger, position players weaker, but more opportunity for Baez. You don't end up paying two 38 year olds.

As far as Arrieta is concerned, I wouldn't be afraid to let him walk in two years after riding him for 480-500 innings. Use that money for pay increases to your core young guys.

How many PAs do you see Baez getting. If everyone's healthy, it's going to be tough to get him 400. Is there concern that inconsistent PT can harm his development?

Who do you think gets the fifth spot? I think Cahill may end up being the best option.

I don't think they harmed themselves this offseason by any means, but I'd have explored a different approach than giving up a pick for Lackey and paying a 37-38 yo Zobrist $29M.

Maybe Price (I think he'd take the same contract that Bos gave him), keep Fowler, sign a back up infielder like Drew. Similar money in 2016 for those six. Rotation is stronger, position players weaker, but more opportunity for Baez. You don't end up paying two 38 year olds.

As far as Arrieta is concerned, I wouldn't be afraid to let him walk in two years after riding him for 480-500 innings. Use that money for pay increases to your core young guys.

I think they might treat the fifth spot as a defacto "bullpen day", rotating different guys through that spot while being willing to pull them early if there are any struggles. They have several long-inning arms to lean on, including a couple high-minors guys they can break in through that spot (Edwards/Johnson).

I think Baez will get ABs. The Cubs will rotate him through and someone is going to be hurt along the way.

Re: Arrieta/Price, I think they just prefer Arrieta to the guys that were out there for what they were asking. Plus, Arrieta on an extension is going to be a little cheaper than a pure FA contract. Though the longer it goes, the more those savings get eaten into.

I think they might treat the fifth spot as a defacto "bullpen day", rotating different guys through that spot while being willing to pull them early if there are any struggles. They have several long-inning arms to lean on, including a couple high-minors guys they can break in through that spot (Edwards/Johnson).

I think Baez will get ABs. The Cubs will rotate him through and someone is going to be hurt along the way.

Re: Arrieta/Price, I think they just prefer Arrieta to the guys that were out there for what they were asking. Plus, Arrieta on an extension is going to be a little cheaper than a pure FA contract. Though the longer it goes, the more those savings get eaten into.

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14825326/the-chicago-cubs-enter-spring-training-favorites-win-world-series

4 to 1!

TEAM ODDS

Chicago Cubs 4-1

Los Angeles Dodgers 10-1

Houston Astros 10-1

Boston Red Sox 12-1

New York Mets 12-1

San Francisco Giants 12-1

Toronto Blue Jays 14-1

New York Yankees 14-1

Washington Nationals 14-1

Cleveland Indians 16-1

St. Louis Cardinals 18-1

Texas Rangers 18-1

Pittsburgh Pirates 18-1

Kansas City Royals 18-1

Arizona Diamondbacks 30-1

Los Angeles Angels 30-1

Detroit Tigers 30-1

Chicago White Sox 30-1

Seattle Mariners 40-1

Tampa Bay Rays 40-1

Minnesota Twins 40-1

Baltimore Orioles 60-1

Miami Marlins 80-1

Oakland Athletics 100-1

San Diego Padres 100-1

Milwaukee Brewers 200-1

Colorado Rockies 200-1

Cincinnati Reds 300-1

Philadelphia Phillies 500-1

Atlanta Braves 500-1

Hendricks is on the verge of being very good, his peripherals are already excellent.

weams said:
Stotle said:

Chicago Cubs, 4-1.

o

Baseball Fans Having a Conversation in March of 1912:

MIDWESTERN FAN #1:) "How do the Cubs look this year?"

MIDWESTERN FAN #2:) "It's been 3-plus years since they won it all. The Titanic will sink before the Cubs win another World Series."

o

o

In light of the Dexter Fowler fiasco, this post from 4 and-a-half months ago immediately came to my mind:

POSTED ON OCTOBER 13, 2015:

Moose Milligan said:

I can't root for the Cubs.

Someone has to be baseball's b#@$%. Baseball fans got a deluge of entitled moron fans when the Red Sox broke "The Curse" and just became arrogant fartbags that everyone else hates to be around. Had ANYONE outside of Chicago heard of the stupid "Billy Goat Curse" before 2003? The tag-along game that they have to play next to Red Sox fans is ridiculous. I'm watching this game tonight and I've already seen the alive Belushi and John Cusack. Eddie Vedder. Ugh, celebrity fans. What's next, some dumb rom-com about two idiot 20 somethings who fall in love on Waveland Avenue the night the Cubs win the World Series? We've been here before.

I've never liked the Cubs. I've never liked how much attention they've received for just being THE CUBS. How come major media outlets give the Cubs SO much attention just for being losers? "When will the Cubs turn around?" "Is this the year for the Cubs?" It happens every damn spring. Hey, how about some love for the Padres or the Brewers? What, no one loves them? I guess if you're in a major media market you get more exposure for being a loser.

Loveable losers? No one likes a loser. I'm parroting the intro to the Patton movie here...but really, who likes a loser?

I'm sorry, I just can't get behind it. I admittedly rooted for the Sox back in 2004 because I was 23 at the time and thought it was the cool thing to do. They were beating the Yankees and erasing history!! Jump on the bandwagon!! It's the cool thing to do! I bought into it and I've regretted it ever since. I think every sports fan has a dark moment or two in their closet, this one is definitely mine.

I was 23 and didn't know any better. I feel awful for adding karmic energy that helped propel the Sox into the Series for a sweep of the Cardinals.

Before you get all high and mighty and go "But Moose! This is history! It's the CUBS! They haven't won since 1908!!" I want you to ask yourself one thing:

Ask yourself if you had the chance to go back to 2004 and somehow have an influence on the Sox/Yankees series to make the Sox lose and never get to the World Series, would you do it? Because if they don't win in 2004 they probably don't keep the band together and win in 2007. Would you do it? Would you re-write history so that David Cruz, Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon never won a World Series? Would you re-write history so that the dickbag Sox fans that invaded Camden Yards for so many years after would have no leg to stand on?

Because if you're rooting for the Cubs, that's what you're rooting for here.

Hendricks is ahead of Hammel and should be in their top 4, correct? Wouldn't their fifth be some competition of Hammel, Warren, Woods, and Cahill?

Problem is that Hammel has been amazing in the first half the last couple seasons.

2015: 2.86ERA

2014: 3.01ERA

I don't know what the 2nd half plan is for a #5, but hopefully it isn't Hammel.

Here is hoping that Jake Arrieta's arm falls off, and that Dexter hits .200, and plays in 50 games. I will be rooting for the Cubs to finish as low as possible this year. (Not that I am bitter or anything ...... lol).

If Fowler hits .200, then I hope that he plays in 155 games.

Here is hoping that Jake Arrieta's arm falls off and that Dexter hits .200 and plays in 50 games. I will be rooting for the Cubs to finish as low as possible this year. (Not that I am bitter or anything....lol).

I temporally dislike catfish. That and I may actually prefer the nats to beat the Cubs when I go watch them play later this year. I don't like the nats.

Archived