Orioles' Chance Sisco Confident He Can Stick At Catcher

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sisco got much better at throwing out runners as the season progressed, so I have some optimism that he can stick behind the plate. The O's have a pretty good track record of developing catchers' defensive skills.
Sounds good, good catchers are always in short supply. I doubt if we see him in the bigs this season, probably next, at the earliest.

Sounds good, good catchers are always in short supply. I doubt if we see him in the bigs this season, probably next, at the earliest.

Agreed. Sisco does not need to be on the 40-man roster until after the 2017 season, so the O's would be crazy to call him up this year and then burn his first option this year or in spring 2017. I figure he starts the year in AA (where he had 84 PA last year), and if he has a good season, perhaps he earns a July/August promotion to AAA.

Agreed. Sisco does not need to be on the 40-man roster until after the 2017 season, so the O's would be crazy to call him up this year and then burn his first option this year or in spring 2017. I figure he starts the year in AA (where he had 84 PA last year), and if he has a good season, perhaps he earns a July/August promotion to AAA.
I touched on this, in another thread and didnt see an answer. Cisco is a year away. So whose is the next man up at catcher, OBrien?

The article pointed out that Sisco was a SS until he decided to make the change to catcher while in HS - he's not a kid who grew up as a catcher or developed his catching skills in college. So he's still very much on the upswing of the learning curve. And now at just turned 22, let's see if that so-called fringey power improves.

Despite being one of the Orioles' first spring cuts, Chance Sisco is committed to becoming a major league-caliber catcher rather than moving to a different position.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/03/14/orioles-chance-sisco-confident-he-can-stick-at-catcher

I do agree that Sisco's best chances of having a solid major league career are if he sticks at catcher. Offensive standards are so much lower there. I've got my fingers crossed because I really expect this to be Wieters' last season in Baltimore... Joseph/Sisco would still theoretically be a real solid catcher tandem with Sisco eventually taking over when Joseph outprices his production.

Besides Caleb Joseph, who else? Michael Ohlman was questionable defensively when they traded him. We haven't developed many catchers.

Francisco Pena is on the Forty Man Roster and probably first up. Audry Perez was a ST Invitee and probably in the wings before Hiam or Cisco.

Buck talks all of the time about Jonah Heim and his abilities - for over a year now. Has anyone ever cough positive comments about Sisco?

If Buck talks more about Heim than Sisco, I'm guessing it's because he figures that people know a lot more about Sisco than they do Heim.

Archived