RHP Odrisamer Despaigne

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Orioles have optioned RHP Odrisamer Despaigne to Triple-A Norfolk.</p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">March 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

14 of the 15 outs that Despaigne recorded were via the groundball (9) and the strikeouts (5.)

15 OUTS: 9 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 1 Flyout

ODRISAMER DESPAIGNE ORUE O (vs. AAA-Gwinnett, 4/07)

IP:. 5

H:;; 4 ll(1 Triple, 2 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 0 *

SO: 5

Pitches: 70 (47 Strikes, 23 Balls)

2016 ERA: 1.80 (AAA-Norfolk)

* Despaigne had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

13 (10 Strikes, 3 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

15 (91 Strikes, 6 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 4 Balls)

Seriously, guy gets traded to a new organization which probably tells him they want him to make the following 15 adjustments, pitches 15 or so lousy innings in spring training where he is deploying those adjustments for the first time in a setting that is for all but a few players less about results and more about learning and getting ready, and people completely write him off.

Gets back to AAA, results start mattering, gets back to his comfort level for pitching and what do we see...relative success. Sustained success will be based on whether those adjustments are successfully integrated into his routine, windup, etc.

Before you post how terrible he is, stop, reserve judgement, and wait until a fairly significant evaluation can be made in the new environment.

Seriously, guy gets traded to a new organization which probably tells him they want him to make the following 15 adjustments, pitches 15 or so lousy innings in spring training where he is deploying those adjustments for the first time in a setting that is for all but a few players less about results and more about learning and getting ready, and people completely write him off.

Gets back to AAA, results start mattering, gets back to his comfort level for pitching and what do we see...relative success. Sustained success will be based on whether those adjustments are successfully integrated into his routine, windup, etc.

Before you post how terrible he is, stop, reserve judgement, and wait until a fairly significant evaluation can be made in the new environment.

Patience? The hell you say! I want results NOW NOW NOW!

Despaigne actually had a great outing and a pretty good outing in 2 of his last 3 games in Spring Training.

This was one of those two outings:

9 OUTS: 6 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout

ODRISAMER DESPAIGNE ORUE O(vs. YANKEES, 3/18) O[spring Training]

IP:. 3

H:;; 1 ll(1 Triple)

R:l) 0

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 33 (23 Strikes, 10 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)

16 (12 Strikes, 4 Balls)

71 (51 Strikes, 2 Balls)

And as Weams pointed out, his curveball had an almost unbelievable break on it when he was on.

I believe (and I suspect that Weams does too) that his other Spring Training outings, which were disastrous, overshadowed what this guy has overall.

Last month, I stated that you can never have too many long relievers in the bullpen, and I was hoping that we would take both Worley and Despaigne north with us when Spring Training broke:

MARCH 8th:

I like the idea of having 2 additional potential starters in the bullpen (Worley and Despaigne.) As far as I'm concerned (in general), the more long relievers that you have, the better.

The fact that there may not be room for Despaigne is a good thing, though. It exemplifies the depth and the effectiveness of the bullpen overall. I'd rather have him on the team than McFarland, but McFarland being the only lefty on that list besides Zach Britton would probably be a major factor in getting him a spot on the 25-man roster.

The Orioles didn't bring him north when the season started, but I am still a Despaigne proponent, as I was when he was alternately getting rocked and pitching well in Spring Training.

Archived