Mancini and Gunkel begin at AA. Why?

wildcard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Gunkel a prospect?

O's have him has their 23rd prospect. Just behind Bridwell and Drake.

At 23 yr/old last year he went 11-6, 2.68 ERA and a 1.065 WHIP in 144 IP mostly at AA.

Yeah, I think that qualifies as a prospect.

I'm in the camp that doesn't think there is a huge difference between the two levels and guys from either level can be called up to help in Baltimore.

I'm in the camp that it is better to be in Bowie to get a call up if need be. See be seen. 20 minutes away.

My guess is between a group of Alvarez, Walker, Hoes, and even Avery after the spring he had, the ABs are just too limited for Mancini. Go to AA again and hit every day and eventually he'll move up this year. It's just a numbers thing more than anything.

My guess is between a group of Alvarez, Walker, Hoes, and even Avery after the spring he had, the ABs are just too limited for Mancini. Go to AA again and hit every day and eventually he'll move up this year. It's just a numbers thing more than anything.

Alvarez, Walker, Hoes, and Avery are outfielders. Mancini is a first baseman. The O's are allowing Terdoslavich to block him from being promoted to AAA. Unsure of the O's reasoning here.

Returning Mancini to AA does nothing for his trade value. It's hard to fathom considering the numbers he put up there last season. I'm sure there's a good reason that doesn't make any sense to me. Adrian Marin proves in Frederick that he still can't but he gets promoted to AA. Mancini wins the batting crown in the Eastern League and puts up the best offensive season of any O's minor leaguer and returns to Bowie.

As for Bowie being just as good a place as Norfolk, that's BS. There is certainly a different talent level at AAA than AA. There might be as many or more prospects in AA but the overall competition is most definitely tougher in AAA.

AA is for prospects, AAA is for depth.

Most prospects go to AAA before they attempt the majors. You can pick some mostly very young elite prospects who skipped. AAA is tougher. He was one of, if not the, best hitters in AA last year. Talk about nothing to prove at AA. He's being blocked by Joey T. Amazing. This sends a bad signal to Mancin. I'm sure or hope they explained that its only very temporary while they figure out the roster at Norfolk.

I think the O's clearly use AAA as their AAAA storage warehouse. I would imagine they have reasons why Mancini is at AA and that those reasons have been presented to him.

I also think they like to keep guys they think more highly of at Bowie, easier to keep tabs on them than having them at Norfolk.

Either way, not going to lose much sleep over this one. If he's good he'll work his way up soon enough.

Archived