Joe Mauer - 1B

Miguel Sano - RF

Trevor Plouffe - 3B

Eddie Rosario - LF

Byung Ho Park - DH

Eduardo Escobar - SS

Kurt Suzuki - C

Byron Buxton - CF

Kyle Benjamin Gibson - RHP (11-11, 3.84 ERA)

BALTIMORE O RIOLES

Manny Machado - 3B

Adam Jones - CF

Chris Davis - 1B

Mark Trumbo - RF

Matt Wieters - C

Pedro Alvarez - DH

James Jerry Hardy - SS

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Joey Rickard - LF

Yovani Gallardo - RHP (13-11, 3.42 ERA) *

* [TEXAS RANGERS]

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baltimore Orioles (1-0) vs. Minnesota Twins (0-1)

Streak / L10

BAL: N/A

MIN: N/A

Game 2 (7:05)

*2015 stats will be used for now

(QS=0)Yovani Gallardo (13-11) 3.42 (1.42/.268), 121/68 (15HR)

vs.

(QS=0)Kyle Gibson (11-11) 3.84 (1.29/.252), 145/65 (18HR)

Yovani Gallardo: Gallardo has had an ever increasing H/9 while seeing a declining K/9 and K/BB ratio over the last three seasons and on top of that, we know he has a bum shoulder. On the bright side, he posted a career high WAR of 4.1 last season. However, he had never posted a WAR above 2.7 prior to that and posted a career high 1.42 WHIP last season as well, but also had a career low ERA of 3.42. It was an odd numbers year for Gallardo, but I tend to think the decline is real due to his shoulder, but we shall see.

He didn't allow many home runs last year, but four of them came in the first 15 pitches of the game along with 23 of his walks and 16 RBI. On top of that, he allows a .292/.382/.447 line for the first 15 as well. For pitches 46-60, his slash is just as bad; .298/.370/.484 with six home runs, 21 RBI and 19 walks allowed.

Gallardo has only made one career start at Camden Yards and it was a good one, but that's not even close to enough data to go on. He has done very well in eight starts against the Twins despite the 2-2 record. Mauer, Dozier and Plouffe are the trouble spots for him as they have pretty much owned him in limited ABs and they are 1,2 and 4 in their lineup.

Splits & Sits

397 vs. left: .271/.340/.383 (9HR)

396 vs. right: .265/.322/.341 (6HR)

Bases Empty: .287, 8HR

RISP: .215

RISP w/2 outs: .208

Men on w/2 outs: .230

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: .290

Career @ Camden Yards (1 start)

6 IP, 2H, 2/3

Career vs. MIN (8 starts)

(2-2) 3.14 (1.20/.226), 5HR CGSO

vs. Batter

Joe Mauer (14 AB) .500, 4BB (7 singles)

Brian Dozier (10 AB) .500, HR, 4RBI

Trevor Plouffe 3/9, 2HR, 3RBI

Kurt Suzuki 0/5

Eduardo Escobar 0/4

Danny Santana 1/3

Eddie Rosario 1/2

Kyle Gibson: Like Gallardo, Gibson is coming off a season with a career high WAR of 3.2 albeit with a much shorter career to this point, but it has increased the last two years now. He tossed 194.2 innings including a complete game. His K/9 and K/BB have also improved in each of the last two years along with his ERA and WHIP. Gibson is on the way up to wherever his ceiling is. However, Gibson still remains a contact pitcher and is 5' 18" tall. Pitching to contact against this team could be bad for Gibson.

Like Gallardo, Gibson struggles in the first 15 pitches of the game putting up a .314/.362/.469 line at the start of the game with four homers, 18 RBI and 12 walks allowed. The numbers look much better until pitches 46-60 where it goes back up to .262/.347/.409 with 22 walks, four homers and 20 RBI allowed.

The similarities to Gallardo continue as Gibson too has only made a single start at Camden Yards thus far. In three starts against the Orioles, he has been solid though a bit lucky with that high WHIP and eight walks in 16.2 innings. Of the 18 home runs he allowed, 10 came with the bases empty and was pretty good at shutting things down when guys got on base.

Splits & Sits

431 vs. left: .248/.326/.334 (8HR), 40BB

390 vs. right: .257/.306/.351 (10HR), 25BB

Bases Empty: .263, 10HR

RISP: .214

RISP w/2 outs: .243

Men on w/2 outs: .223

Man on 3rd < 2 outs: .222

2015 Away (15 starts)

(5-6) 4.15 (1.30/.246), 6HR

Career vs Baltimore (3 starts)

(1-0) 2.70 (1.44/.258), HR, 8BB in 16.2 innings

Career @ Camden Yards (1 start)

5.2 IP, 6H, 2ER, 2/4

vs. Batter

Adam Jones 1/8, 2B

Manny Machado 2/6

Chris Davis 0/5, 3BB, 3K

J.J. Hardy 2/5, HR, 3RBI

Mark Trumbo 1/5, S-HR, 3K

Matt Wieters 1/5

Jonathan Schoop 2/4, 2B, 2K

The Orioles looked surprisingly good in some areas and more of the same in others. It seems like the team is making a conscious effort at being more selective at the plate. Unfortunately, Jones, Machado and Alvarez are way too cool for that and swung wildly pretty much the whole game though Alvarez did take a walk to his credit. I enjoyed seeing Trumbo taking singles instead of "swinging for Delaware" as someone said in the game thread. I'm still not sold on Trumbo, but he is doing and saying the right things so far. The only question is will his D be bad or really bad and will his bat be good enough to compensate? A walk off win in the opener is nice, but it's just one game against a team that didn't look that great in this game.

Gallardo and Gibson will both be making their second career start at Camden Yards and both have pitched pretty well for their careers against these teams though Gibson has a pretty high WHIP due to walks. Gibson is on the way up if the last two seasons are any indication and both these guys are coming off career high WAR seasons at different points in their careers. It will be interesting to see how this one unfolds. Gallardo has problems with the 1-2-4 of the Twins order and Gibson has problems with the 4-5-7-8 of ours provided the lineups are the same tomorrow.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gallardo is making his O's debut tonight! Don't miss out! Text ORIOLES to 29292 for in-game alerts. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IBackTheBirds?src=hash">#IBackTheBirds</a> <a href="https://t.co/MrLdyesrhu">pic.twitter.com/MrLdyesrhu</a></p>— Orioles on MASN (@masnOrioles) <a href="

">April 6, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Afternoon, Orange Faithful!

It was a prolonged after-party yesterday but tonight the Birds are back at it with hopefully more power and less rain.

This is Gallardo's moment of truth to show us whether his lack of success in March was due to simple ST experimentation, or if he's simply not what the Orioles bargained for.

o

AROUND THE A.L. EAST

2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 1 Single.

STEVEN JEFFREY SOUZA, JR.

I picked a good time to put Souza in my daily lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o

AROUND THE A.L. EAST

15 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 6 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Popout

MATTHEW CODY MOORE O(vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/06)

IP:l 5

H:;; 5 ll(1 Home Run, 4 Singles)

R:l) 3

BB: 2 *

SO: 6

Pitches: 102 (61 Strikes, 41 Balls)

* Moore also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

16 (10 Strikes, 61 Balls)

22 (11 Strikes, 11 Balls)

24 (14 Strikes, 10 Balls)

13 (11 Strikes, 21 Balls)

27 (15 Strikes, 12 Balls)

Man, high pitch counts continue to hold Moore back.

87 MPH fastball, 86 MPH off-speed pitch in the Dozier AB? There is not enough velocity difference in his pitches. He just threw an 84 MPH change up to Mauer and his fastball is 88. Not good.

Archived