vs. RAYS, 4/10

Sessh

Baltimore Orioles (4-0, 1st +1.0) vs. Tampa Bay Devil Rays (2-3, 4th -2.5)

Streak / L10

BAL: N/A

TBR: N/A

*2015 stats will be used for now

Game 3 (1:35)

(QS=0)Vance Worley (4-6) 40.2 (1.42/.287), 49/21 (6HR)

vs.

(QS=0)Jake Odorizzi (9-9) 3.35 (1.15/.231), 150/46 (18HR)

Vance Worley: Worley's career has been pretty hit or miss results wise. He put up a career high 3.2 WAR in 2011 with the Phillies with a 3.01 (1.23) in 131.2 innings and a K/9 of 8.13, also a career high. The year after that, he put up a 4.20 (1.51) with a 0.7 WAR and the year after that, a -1.2 WAR with a 7.21 (1.99). In 2014 with the Pirates, he got back up to 1.6 WAR with a 2.85 (1.21) as a starter and even tossed a CGSO that year in 110.2 innings. Last season, however, he put up a 0.1 WAR with a 4.02 (1.42) in a mostly relief role in 71.2 innings and now, he's in Baltimore. So, Worley has had two solid seasons and three not so great seasons. There's no telling what he'll be this season and his play here will determine how much more we see him after this. Worley has never faced the Rays in his career and only Logan Morrison has stepped in the box against him.

Worley gives up a lot of hits, but he is far better from the windup. He allows even more hits with runners on base as you can see below. He has made two starts at the Yards and aside from the ERA, they don't look all that great. They look even worse when those four unearned runs are considered as well.

Pitch wise, his strongest ranges are 31-45 (.154/.175/.175) and 61-75 (.152/.222/.135). His worst ranges are 1-15 (.329/.351/.500), 46-60 (.474/.523/.682) and 76-90 (.440/.481/.607). When he's bad, he's really bad. We'll see which Vance Worley is in Baltimore this year.

Splits & Sits

118 vs. left: .307/.385/.356, 14BB, 2HR

192 vs. right: .276/.311/.401, 31K, 4HR

Bases Empty: .270

RISP: .296

RISP w/2 outs: .281

Men on w/2 outs: .298

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: .353

Career @ Camden Yards (2 starts)

(0-0) 3.27 (1.45/.280), 4UER

Career vs. TBR (0 starts)

N/A (surprisingly)

vs. Batter

Logan Morrison 1/5, BB

Jake Odorizzi: Odorizzi has improved his WAR every season he has been in the majors. He pitched 168 innings in 2014 to a 4.13 (1.28) and a 1.2 WAR. Last season, he threw 169.1 innings with a 3.36 (1.15) and a 3.5 WAR. He pitched well on the road last year, but has been horrible at Camden Yards in four starts. We have four guys that do well against him, but Jones may still be injured. Odorizzi's L/R splits aren't extreme, but righties are responsible for most of his allowed long balls and is very strong with men on base. He averaged 6.04 innings per start last year.

Pitch wise, Odorizzi allowed a .253/.301/.394 in the first 15 pitches, 31-45 (.240/.275/.459) and a .317/.388/.537 in the 91-105 range. He does pretty well in all other ranges, but unfortunately for Odorizzi, he'll be standing on the mound in Camden Yards for this start and hopefully, the Orioles continue to make him uncomfortable there.

Splits & Sits

389 vs. left: .230/.264/.344, 5HR, 98K

311 vs. right: .234/.310/.389, 13HR

Bases Empty: .225

RISP: .201

RISP w/2 outs: .205

Men on w/2 outs: .218

Man on 3rd < 2 outs: .217

2015 Away (15 starts)

(4-6) 3.86 (1.22/.245), 11HR

Career vs Baltimore (7 starts, 1 relief)

(2-2) 4.79 (1.40/.261), 9HR

Career @ Camden Yards (4 starts)

(1-2) 7.20 (1.95/.330), 7HR

vs. Batter

Adam Jones (20 AB) .400, 2B, HR, 3RBI

Manny Machado (16 AB) .250, HR, 3RBI

J.J. Hardy (14 AB) .286, HR, 2RBI

Chris Davis (13 AB) .231, 2B, HR, 2RBI, 6BB

Caleb Joseph 0/8

Jonathan Schoop 2/6

Matt Wieters 0/3

Mark Trumbo 0/2

Unfortunately, we miss Mike Wright yet again due to the rain out, but I am not in the least bit sorry we're missing Drew Smyly. However, Worley reportedly will be on a pitch count and has not been stretched out to start, so we could see Wright relieve him after a couple innings if he makes it that far. I want to see if he looks better than he did when he was struggling last season. Also, will the highly anticipated MLB debut of Hyun-Soo Kim come this afternoon? I sure hope so and I hope he has good AB's and hits the ball real hard at least once even if it's caught for an out. A walk would be nice, too. A home run in front of the home crowd might be too much to hope for, but either way, I hope Kim leaves a good taste in our mouths in some way before the sun sets tomorrow.

Odorizzi has really struggled at Camden Yards despite being a pretty good rotation piece for the Rays. Adam Jones hits .400 against him, so a return to the lineup here may be possible for Jones depending on how he is feeling. On our side will be Vance Worley and who knows what we'll get out of him. He has never faced the Rays in his career, had high BAA's across the board in all situations last year and hasn't done all that well at Camden Yards in two starts. His ERA would match his other stats if those four unearned runs were counted. All in all, I'm not all that high on Worley. This spring, he mostly threw two innings at a time and went three once, but it was a disaster. Worley may very well only go two or three innings here which would leave plenty for Mike Wright (or someone) to get his work in. It is puzzling why Worley would be starting here, but it is what it is. Going for the 5-0 mark here. If Odorizzi's struggles continue at Camden Yards, we just might get it.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you cutting and pasting this from somewhere?

No, sir. I write them during the time before, after and during games. I've done these for years. :) Half the matchup is done for the Boston opener tomorrow already, then I do the other half the next day (today) sometime.

Will Wright pitch today? If so, do they expect him to pitch on short rest on Thursday?

I don't really follow the reasoning in not starting him today.

If you want Worley to be a starter, that's fine. But he should be stretched out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the CBSsports.com forums, but they were nuked three years ago now. There was a lot of people over there, too. A few of us went to another forum to try to find a new audience, but it was a ghost town and

still is. Besides, the administrator for that site is shady IMO, but that's a whole other story. The small group of us slowly disappeared there as we just got tired of only having each other to debate with and all and so I

stopped going there, too. I actually wasn't sure I wanted to do these this year as I was kind of burned out last year, but with an audience, I decided to try it again. I'm glad someone (anyone) likes them. :)

So, I guess Wilson is going to back up Worley today? McFarland?

I doubt we'll see TJM after throwing 3 on Friday. Our pen is super fresh right now. I'm sure the plan is to have Worley and Wilson to get them through six innings and then get Bundy, Givens, and Britton in there. O'Day and Brach are fresh too. Wright would be a "break glass" case if they go into way extra innings.

I was on the CBSsports.com forums, but they were nuked three years ago now. There was a lot of people over there, too. A few of us went to another forum to try to find a new audience, but it was a ghost town and

still is. Besides, the administrator for that site is shady IMO, but that's a whole other story. The small group of us slowly disappeared there as we just got tired of only having each other to debate with and all and so I

stopped going there, too. I actually wasn't sure I wanted to do these this year as I was kind of burned out last year, but with an audience, I decided to try it again. I'm glad someone (anyone) likes them. :)

I like it too!

Will Wright pitch today? If so, do they expect him to pitch on short rest on Thursday?

I don't really follow the reasoning in not starting him today.

If you want Worley to be a starter, that's fine. But he should be stretched out.

Today is part of stretching him out? :noidea:

I think Wright is first in line today. Worley MAX is 5 innings. More likely 3 or 4.

Archived