Stone Gone: Melo to Test Waters

bobmc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"University of Maryland sophomore guard Melo Trimble will enter his name in the NBA Draft, but will not hire an agent, while freshman center Diamond Stone will declare for the NBA Draft with plans to hire an agent."

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=210881888&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

This kind of stuff is why the NBA has its lowest overall talent level in decades. They don't take the guys who are good basketball players. They draft guys on "Projectionability" like MLB was doing in mass 15-20 yrs ago. Which tends to hurt the overall product over time. It's no wonder that Old Man Kobe had two of his best games ever in his final season.

Sorry for the vent. But it just bugs me that an unpolished guy like Stone is probably going to go 1st round. He's nowhere near ready.

This kind of stuff is why the NBA has its lowest overall talent level in decades. They don't take the guys who are good basketball players. They draft guys on "Projectionability" like MLB was doing in mass 15-20 yrs ago. Which tends to hurt the overall product over time. It's no wonder that Old Man Kobe had two of his best games ever in his final season.

Sorry for the vent. But it just bugs me that an unpolished guy like Stone is probably going to go 1st round. He's nowhere near ready.

There's a difference between talent and readiness. The NBA takes the kids with talent, even though they aren't ready to play, so they have to learn on the job much more than in the past. But I don't see any evidence that the NBA has its lowest overall talent level in decades.

• 1 month later...
Melo's got to decide today. He's one of the last few who hasn't officially decided.

Please stay. It's best for you and MD.

105.7 the fan was talking a few days ago like it was a sure thing he was coming back. I hope so for him and the organization.

Would he get any better by staying? He might have hit his apex here. Apparently we got the real deal PG incoming. Would he be happy being a shooting guard?

Considering he got worse during the season, it wouldn't surprise me even a little if he was playing hurt. So heck yes, I think he can improve his stock. He would most likely be only a second round pick if he comes out. He can make himself a 1st rounder with a good season.

He's coming back, just saw it on Twitter.

Wouldn't let me embed.

Whoo, that saves next season and people are speculating this puts MD in the running to get Justin Jackson - who is one of the few highly rated players who have not committed.

Nice, that was a big need there. should be interesting to see how they play with such a different team and so much less expectations. Last year's squad just wasn't very enjoyable to watch more times than not.

I'm hoping with a bevy of guards, and athletic guys like Wiley, Huerter, and Jackson, that they will run a lot more. The offense with Stone and Carter just never seemed to feel right last season.

Archived