For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ICYMI - The Consequences of Changing an Umpire?s Eye Level <a href="https://t.co/gQGVJLpP34">https://t.co/gQGVJLpP34</a></p>— FanGraphs Baseball (@fangraphs) <a href="

">November 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Some background. In the past siz years, 49.2% of pitches were thrown in the strike zone, and 83.2% of those were called strikes. That may not be enough to appease the robot ump-wanting crowd, but umpires are human, and so that's pretty good - better than you or I could do. Umpires are good at their job under normal circumstances.
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

How practical/possible is an electric strike zone? Given the fact that every hitter has a different strike zone. I'm sure they could do it I just question how perfect it could be. You still have calls at the plate that need to be made as well.

Hunter has every right to bring it up as much as he wants. That bad call cost us a run and probably the game. This umpire clearly doesn't have a good enough knowledge of the strike zone to do his job effectively.

It's the bottom of the 4th. lol

How practical/possible is an electric strike zone? Given the fact that every hitter has a different strike zone. I'm sure they could do it I just question how perfect it could be. You still have calls at the plate that need to be made as well.

I thought the strike zone was 17 inches across and letters to the knees. You honestly think that it's that much more difficult for an electronic eye to consistently keep track of that than a human eye?

The zone today has appeared to be pretty weird for both teams. And not just on the strike three calls.

Although I'm getting annoyed at Jim Hunter bringing up the Trumbo strike 3 call approximately every other sentence.

That call was horrid!!!

And it's the difference in the game right now as it was ball 4 and a run would have scored making the game tied.

Sad, but true. We got jobbed, and sadly, I felt like there was some bias. I'll take off my tin foil hat, lol. :laughlol

This is the biggest problem in professional sports. You have 2 $150 million teams and fans paying $50 per seat, and the entire event is destroyed by some egotistical moron in blue who obviously couldn't call balls & strikes in a t ball game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sad, but true. We got jobbed, and sadly, I felt like there was some bias. I'll take off my tin foil hat, lol. :laughlol

Haha. Tinfoil hat or no tinfoil hat, the result is the same. What sucks is, a player make a mistake, they get tossed. The ump makes a mistake, they move on to the next game. I always go back to what Jim Palmer once said when Cal was tossed in a game at his first at bat for looking back at an ump on a called strike. When it happened, you could see the fans getting up and leaving the stands. Palmer said to the Ump, like or it not, no one is here in this stadium to see you ump. Without the players, you don't get a paid.

This is the biggest problem in professional sports. You have 2 $150 million teams and fans paying $50 per seat, and the entire event is destroyed by some egotistical moron in blue who obviously couldn't call balls & strikes in a t ball game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That was the worst strike zone I have seen in a very long time. Chuck Meriwether comes to mind.

It feels like every week there is a game where you say to yourself, that was some of the worst umpiring I've ever seen. Then next week comes around and you have another horrible ump behind the plate.