After 15 games, check out the WHIP from every member of the bullpen:

0.714 - Zach Britton

0.889 - Brad Brach

0.971 - T.J. McFarland

1.000 - Tyler Wilson

1.091 - Darren O'Day

1.235 - Dylan Bundy

1.826 - Mychal Givens

Overall the pen is 5-1, with half the Orioles league-leading 10 wins. The pen has a WPA of +1.6 for a team with just 3 quality starts out of 15 tries. Five relievers on the team have an OPS against of under .550. Here's your composite line:

5-1, 1.74 ERA, 1.070 WHIP, 8.7 K/9, .203/.277/.302 (.579) in 224 PA, 68 sOPS+, 57 of 132 IP (43.2% of team IP)

Early in the season, yeah, but do you believe they're going to fall off as the year progresses? The only sore spot right now is Givens, and his numbers have been steadily improving since his initial disastrous outing. Not to mention he's striking out 16 batters per nine.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After 15 games, check out the WHIP from every member of the bullpen:

0.714 - Zach Britton

0.889 - Brad Brach

0.971 - T.J. McFarland

1.000 - Tyler Wilson

1.091 - Darren O'Day

1.235 - Dylan Bundy

1.826 - Mychal Givens

Overall the pen is 5-1, with half the Orioles league-leading 10 wins. The pen has a WPA of +1.6 for a team with just 3 quality starts out of 15 tries. Five relievers on the team have an OPS against of under .550. Here's your composite line:

5-1, 1.74 ERA, 1.070 WHIP, 8.7 K/9, .203/.277/.302 (.579) in 224 PA, 68 sOPS+, 57 of 132 IP (43.2% of team IP)

Early in the season, yeah, but do you believe they're going to fall off as the year progresses? The only sore spot right now is Givens, and his numbers have been steadily improving since his initial disastrous outing. Not to mention he's striking out 16 batters per nine.

I feel great about our bullpen and our depth.

We have Drake and Roe in Norfolk, who would be in the big leagues right now on most other teams.

Wow is right, the pen is awesome! I thought it was going to be tough to be better than last year's pen! What I love the most is that there we have more than one who can come in and bail out the starter who can't go past two innings: Bundy, Wilson, Mcfarland. Reminds me of the term "weaverized" when Earl would put the future starters in long relief their rookie year. Brian is back in the pen and Wilson is in the rotation I think both just might be better now! Sad that we can't even find a spot for Oliver Drake or Chaz Roe, but man what a nice problem to have.

I don't want to rain on the parade because I think they're going to have to be that good for us to have a chance, but Matusz is going to be joining the fray.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You mean the same Matusz who had a 1.184 WHIP last year, K'd 10.3/9IP and held lefties to a .186/.231/.333/.565 slash line? If that's raining on our parade, rain away.

You mean the same Matusz who had a 1.184 WHIP last year, K'd 10.3/9IP and held lefties to a .186/.231/.333/.565 slash line? If that's raining on our parade, rain away.

This.

I don't understand the Matusz hate. I guess because he nibbles at times (particularly vs righties) and maybe walks a few too many guys? But the reality is that Matusz is a key cog to a damn good bullpen.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This.

I don't understand the Matusz hate. I guess because he nibbles at times (particularly vs righties) and maybe walks a few too many guys? But the reality is that Matusz is a key cog to a damn good bullpen.

I think last night is a perfect example of the angst people have with Matusz. He was put in a good situation with two lefties and Morales turning around.

He gives up a hit to the righty and walks Gordon. I know he's not going to get everybody out, but with a track record of poor results with righties, Buck has to pull him for Givens.

Givens bails him out and gets out the inning unharmed. People can now say Matusz has an ERA of zero.

I think Matusz is a nice piece to have in September and the players. With this starting pitching, I think he's difficult to carry, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His numbers against RHs have improved since they bottomed out in 2012. Again, he does have a tendency to nibble; especially vs righties.

He can be frustrating at times but the simple fact that he owns Big Sloppy makes him a favorite of mine.

His numbers against RHs have improved since they bottomed out in 2012. Again, he does have a tendency to nibble; especially vs righties.

He can be frustrating at times but the simple fact that he owns Big Sloppy makes him a favorite of mine.

Owning Hamilton is no where near as useful as it used to be.

Archived