SoE Lupica: Big opportunity for Harper

Il BuonO

An interesting piece. Harper's star power is definitely unlike anyone else that has come up in a while, and it's the reason he has his detractors but I do think it's good for the game.

I disagree with the article on one non-baseball point however--Steph Curry doesn't have the longevity yet but I think at this point that he is absolutely the bigger star than Lebron, and the biggest American sports star.

This isn't just about talent, but talent-plus. My old friend, the great George Frazier of the Boston Globe, used to write these wonderful columns about something he called "duende." It's a Spanish word, but Frazier was basically talking about an "it" quality that gifted performers either did or did not have. It was Frazier's notion, for instance, that Ted Williams had duende when striking out more than Stan Musial (as great as he was) ever had it while hitting a home run.

And without turning this into a philosophy elective, the Spanish writer Federico Garcia Lorca once described duende this way: "That mysterious power that everyone feels but no philosopher can explain."

The only thing that may separate Trout and Harper, if the two of them stay on these parallel tracks, and for as long as they stay healthy, is that Harper seems to have some of that old-time duende going for him and Trout does not. You can only imagine what it will be like someday if Harper really does end up at Yankee Stadium, playing for that team, in that city, and hitting home runs over that short right-field wall.

Yankee. 750 million.

Archived