vs. RAYS, 4/27

Sessh

Baltimore Orioles (11-8, 1st +0.5) @ Tampa Bay Rays (10-10, 3rd -1.5)

Streak / L10

BAL: -3, Lost 4 of 5 / L10: 4-6

TBR: +3, Won 4 of 6 / L10: 7-3

Game 3 (7:10)

(QS=1)Chris Tillman (1-1) 4.42 (1.25/.250), 15/6 (1HR)

vs.

(QS=2)Matt Moore (1-1) 3.60 (1.12/.240), 26/5 (3HR)

Chris Tillman: Tillman tossed 105 pitches in his last start en route to his first QS, but did not get the win. He allowed four hits and three walks along with the two runs and is 29/24 for FB/GB. Tillman has been dominating at the Trop in nine starts, but the other 12 starts at Camden Yards weren't as good as seen in his career starts against the Rays. It should go without saying that Evan Longoria is the worst enemy here with seven home runs and four doubles with a .333 BA against Tillman.

Splits & Sits

32 vs. left: .290/.313/.500

43 vs. right: .216/.326/.279, HR

Bases Empty: .263

RISP: .286

RISP w/2 outs: .286

Men on w/2 outs: .222

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: 1.000

Career @ Tropicana Field (9 starts)

(2-3) 2.93 (0.96/.177), 10HR

Career vs. TB (21 starts)

(6-9) 4.19 (1.19/.226), 22HR

vs. Batter

Evan Longoria (51 AB) .333, 4 2B, 7HR, 10RBI

Desmond Jennings (22 AB) .091, 2B, 2RBI

Logan Forsythe (22 AB) .318, 2 2B, RBI

Kevin Kiermaier (18 AB) .111

Steven Souza Jr. (14 AB) .286, 2B, HR, 3RBI, 2BB

Brandon Guyer (11 AB) .273

Brad Miller (10 AB) .100, 2B

Logan Morrison 1/6

Hank Conger 1/6, RBI

Nick Franklin 0/4

Tim Beckham 1/4, RBI

Corey Dickerson 1/2, 2B

Matt Moore: Moore has pitched into the seventh inning in each of his last three starts and two of them were quality. Moore allowed four runs in his last start of 6.2 innings with eight hits and two walks allowed. He is leaning towards being a flyball pitcher with a 41 to 29 ratio. Moore has also thrown over 100 pitches in all but one of his starts so far and has one double digit strikeout game as well.

Moore has pitched better at home than on the road which is where his last start was and has a 2.95 (0.98/.217) at home so far this season. He has been average against the Orioles and the 20 walks haven't helped.

Splits & Sits

20 vs. left: .368/.400/.500, HR

83 vs. right: .208/.265/.289, 2HR

Bases Empty: .206

RISP: .286

RISP w/2 outs: .143

Men on w/2 outs: .267

Man on 3rd < 2 outs: NA

Career @ Tropicana Field (39 starts)

(17-11) 3.80 (1.29/.242), 25HR

Career vs Baltimore (9 starts, 1 relief)

(4-4) 3.83 (1.47/.272), 6HR

vs. Batter

J.J. Hardy (25 AB) .240, 2 2B, HR, 5RBI

Adam Jones (24 AB) .458, 2B, 2HR, 7RBI

Chris Davis (18 AB) .167, 2B, 3BB

Matt Wieters (17 AB) .471, 2B, 2HR, 3RBI

Manny Machado (16 AB) .188, 2B, 3B, RBI

Mark Trumbo (12 AB) .250, 2B, HR, 2RBI

Nolan Reimold 3/8, 2 2B, 2RBI

Jonathan Schoop 2/4

Caleb Joseph 1/2, HR, 2RBI

Another depressing loss for the Orioles as they have now scored a total of two runs over the last three games and I just have to wonder how long it's going to be before the starting pitching starts losing morale and that's when we're really going to see some ugly baseball. The Orioles offense just cannot find ways to manufacture runs or drive runners in with RISP. No sac flys, no moving runners over, it's just all or nothing. Either they hit home runs or they blow scoring chances and lose games. Not much else to say. Jimenez gets his second quality start and only the fourth by Orioles starters so far this year and the Rays pitching and defense got the job done.

Tillman vs Moore. There is some room for optimism here pitching wise. Tillman has been pretty dominating at the Trop, but gets hurt by the long ball as well. He has been better than Moore though his sample size is much larger. Both Jones and Wieters have hit Moore very well while Longoria, Forsythe and Souza have seen Tillman well. It's a toss up. The only thing we can do is avoid being swept.

Boston has won three in a row and have closed the gap to 0.5 games while the Rays have pulled to within 1.5 games of the first place Orioles. How much longer can they hold on?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another depressing loss for the Orioles as they have now scored a total of two runs over the last three games and I just have to wonder how long it's going to be before the starting pitching starts losing morale and that's when we're really going to see some ugly baseball. The Orioles offense just cannot find ways to manufacture runs or drive runners in with RISP. No sac flys, no moving runners over, it's just all or nothing. Either they hit home runs or they blow scoring chances and lose games. Not much else to say. Jimenez gets his second quality start and only the fourth by Orioles starters so far this year and the Rays pitching and defense got the job done.

I'm sorry, but this analysis is completely off base. The Orioles are THE BEST HITTING TEAM with RISP in the American League so far. They have a .315 average, .372 OBP, .472 SLG, and .845 OPS with RISP, all of which rank first in the AL.

What you're saying is literally the exact opposite of the truth. Why put all this work into these game thread posts without looking up basic stats?

I'm sorry, but this analysis is completely off base. The Orioles are THE BEST HITTING TEAM with RISP in the American League so far. They have a .315 average, .372 OBP, .472 SLG, and .845 OPS with RISP, all of which rank first in the AL.

What you're saying is literally the exact opposite of the truth. Why put all this work into these game thread posts without looking up basic stats?

It's ok. It fits a narrative. Sometimes when you make things up, they come true in the end. I can see how easy it would be to see it that way if you put those glasses on.

I hope you're right. Even if Tillman pitches a great game. Can we score runs for him?

I'll answer that question around 10 pm tonight. :D

But seriously, I think the offense breaks out and we score 5 runs tonight. And one shameless plug, I said 3 runs wins the game last night and I was correct. :)

..and what do those numbers say after the 7-0 start? Have you even been watching the games since then?

It's ok. It fits a narrative. Sometimes when you make things up, they come true in the end. I can see how easy it would be to see it that way if you put those glasses on.

Yeah, you're right. The Orioles have no trouble at all scoring runs. That's why they're 4-8 since their hot start.

Archived