vs. WHITE SOX, 4/28

Sessh

Baltimore Orioles (12-8, 1st +0.5) vs. Chicago White Sox (16-6, 1st +3.0)

Streak / L10

BAL: +1, Lost 4 of 6 / L10: 4-6

CWS: +6, Won 8 of 9 / L10: 8-2

Game 1 (7:05)

(QS=0)Tyler Wilson (1-0) 2.77 (1.08/.235), 6/2 (1HR)

vs.

(QS=1)John Danks (0-3) 6.23 (1.62/.292), 12/9 (3HR)

Tyler Wilson: Wilson has allowed four runs in 13 IP this season with all four runs coming in his last two appearances. He pitched well against KC overall, but gave up three runs on six hits in five innings. He did not walk a batter and threw 70 pitches. He has only faced the White Sox once and it was a quality start. In two appearances at home this season, Wilson has allowed one run on four hits and two walks in five innings.

Splits & Sits

25 vs. left: .250/.280/.320

28 vs. right: .222/.250/.393, HR

Bases Empty: .250

RISP: .300

RISP w/2 outs: .250

Men on w/2 outs: .222

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: 1.000

Career @ Camden Yards (2 starts, 4 relief)

(0-1) 1.65 (1.22/.246)

Career vs. CWS (1 start)

(0-1) 6 IP, 2ER, 5H, 1/1

vs. Batter

Melky Cabrera 1/3, 2B, RBI

Jose Abreu 0/3

Adam Eaton 1/2, BB

Brett Lawrie 0/2, BB

Dioner Navarro 0/1, RBI

John Danks: Danks gave up 14 runs in his first two starts with two of them going to the defense, but has gone at least six innings in the last two starts with the last one being a quality start. He allowed two runs on five hits (1HR) and five walks; 10 base runners. Danks really hasn't pitched well so far this season. He has been solid for his career against the Orioles and a bit worse when those games are at Camden Yards.

Splits & Sits

12 vs. left: .200/.250/.417, HR

64 vs. right: .309/.391/.422, 2HR

Bases Empty: .282

RISP: .313

RISP w/2 outs: .375

Men on w/2 outs: .417

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: .000

Career @ Camden Yards (5 starts)

(1-2) 4.25 (1.18/.265), 4HR

Career vs Baltimore (13 starts)

(6-5) 3.90 (1.19/.243), 12HR

vs. Batter

Adam Jones (33 AB) .030 (1-for-33)

Matt Wieters .222, 2 2B, 2HR, 3RBI

J.J. Hardy (25 AB) .360, 4 2B, HR, 4RBI

Nolan Reimold (19 AB) .421, 2B, 3B, HR, 3RBI

Chris Davis (17 AB) .176, S-HR

Manny Machado 2/9

Mark Trumbo 2/5, 2B, 2BB

Pedro Alvarez 0/2, BB

The Orioles do manage to avoid the sweep though they were only able to muster three hits the whole game, but I think they can be excused tonight because Moore pitched extremely well and it would have been seven shutout innings for him if it wasn't for Rickard's homer. It was the only bad pitch he made all game. I don't think we should count on that from Rickard, but it's a win against a tough pitcher and stops the three game skid to send the Orioles back home with a win.

In the opener of this four game series against the White Sox, we get Wilson against Danks. John Danks has been solid against the Orioles for his career and slightly worse at the Yards in ERA and BAA. Wilson's only start against the White Sox was a quality one, but man, I didn't realize just how hot the White Sox were. I think the Orioles are primed to snap out of this scoring drought (Schoop especially), but the White Sox are absolutely on fire. During this six game winning streak, the White Sox have outscored their opponents 34-10 and have done it while sweeping the Rangers and Jays after splitting a series with the Angels. Looking back on their April games, the Sox have been fairly consistent as far as run scoring goes. They have scored more than three runs in 14 of 21 April games including six consecutive games coming into this one while the Orioles are 10 for 20 having done it only twice in the last nine games. April has been pretty front heavy for the Orioles as the run scoring has fallen off the table in the last two weeks of the month and the White Sox are playing better baseball than the Orioles right now.

The Orioles are 7-1 at home and there couldn't be a hotter team coming in for four games, but the bright side is what is hot must eventually cool down. John Danks does not scare me all that much and I think the Orioles really need to set the tone with a win in the opener and get the crowd to breathe some life into our bats. It will be an interesting series that could truly go either way, but I would be surprised if the bats stayed cold at home. Danks is going to have to be good which is something he has had great difficulty with so far this season.

The division remains crammed as all teams are within four games of each other with Boston on a four game winning streak with one more game to go against Atlanta while Toronto has lost three in a row.

On a side note: A few minutes before tonight's game, some S happened that had me really edgy for awhile and I took it out in the game thread. I have no problem with people who want to criticize my matchups, so please don't stop! I will be more careful with how I word things and try to be more specific in what games I'm talking about. Considering the abundance of complaints in game threads over this losing stretch about not getting big hits with runners in scoring position, stranding the bases loaded numerous times and squandering scoring opportunities, there was no doubt in my mind that everyone would know exactly where I was coming from. The game threads have been ripe with such comments and so I figured everyone would know what games I was referring to. I didn't really think that kind of clarification was needed nor has it ever been needed in the past, but I will pay more attention in the future. Anyway, my apologies to PaulFolk and anyone else I pissed off. It wasn't anything you guys did or said wrong. :)

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note: A few minutes before tonight's game, some S happened that had me really edgy for awhile and I took it out in the game thread. I have no problem with people who want to criticize my matchups, so please don't stop! I will be more careful with how I word things and try to be more specific in what games I'm talking about. Considering the abundance of complaints in game threads over this losing stretch about not getting big hits with runners in scoring position, stranding the bases loaded numerous times and squandering scoring opportunities, there was no doubt in my mind that everyone would know exactly where I was coming from. The game threads have been ripe with such comments and so I figured everyone would know what games I was referring to. I didn't really think that kind of clarification was needed nor has it ever been needed in the past, but I will pay more attention in the future. Anyway, my apologies to PaulFolk and anyone else I pissed off. It wasn't anything you guys did or said wrong. :)[/b]

Much appreciated. I probably fanned the flames more than I needed to, so I apologize for that as well. These detailed game previews have been a very nice addition to the site, so thanks for taking the time to do them!

No.

It's 10 hours prior to the game, and it gives the posters who don't visit the Minor League board very often a detailed look (including pitches per inning) at the latest outings for prospects in the higher levels of the minors and/or pitchers on the 40-man roster who may be in line for a possible promotion to the Orioles. I do it for pitchers such as Hess, Gunkel, Miranda, Despaigne, etc.

Personally, I enjoy those posts. :)

Much appreciated. I probably fanned the flames more than I needed to, so I apologize for that as well. These detailed game previews have been a very nice addition to the site, so thanks for taking the time to do them!

Thanks for the comment! Honestly though, it wasn't your fault. I took a defensive stance immediately instead of addressing your comments more like I did above. You may feel like you fanned the flames, but I dumped the

gasoline and threw the torch. :) Anyway, glad that is all settled now.

Baltimore Orioles (12-8, 1st +0.5) vs. Chicago White Sox (16-6, 1st +3.0)

Streak / L10

BAL: +1, Lost 4 of 6 / L10: 4-6

CWS: +6, Won 8 of 9 / L10: 8-2

Game 1 (7:05)

(QS=0)Tyler Wilson (1-0) 2.77 (1.08/.235), 6/2 (1HR)

vs.

(QS=1)John Danks (0-3) 6.23 (1.62/.292), 12/9 (3HR)

Tyler Wilson: Wilson has allowed four runs in 13 IP this season with all four runs coming in his last two appearances. He pitched well against KC overall, but gave up three runs on six hits in five innings. He did not walk a batter and threw 70 pitches. He has only faced the White Sox once and it was a quality start. In two appearances at home this season, Wilson has allowed one run on four hits and two walks in five innings.

Splits & Sits

25 vs. left: .250/.280/.320

28 vs. right: .222/.250/.393, HR

Bases Empty: .250

RISP: .300

RISP w/2 outs: .250

Men on w/2 outs: .222

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: 1.000

Career @ Camden Yards (2 starts, 4 relief)

(0-1) 1.65 (1.22/.246)

Career vs. CWS (1 start)

(0-1) 6 IP, 2ER, 5H, 1/1

vs. Batter

Melky Cabrera 1/3, 2B, RBI

Jose Abreu 0/3

Adam Eaton 1/2, BB

Brett Lawrie 0/2, BB

Dioner Navarro 0/1, RBI

John Danks: Danks gave up 14 runs in his first two starts with two of them going to the defense, but has gone at least six innings in the last two starts with the last one being a quality start. He allowed two runs on five hits (1HR) and five walks; 10 base runners. Danks really hasn't pitched well so far this season. He has been solid for his career against the Orioles and a bit worse when those games are at Camden Yards.

Splits & Sits

12 vs. left: .200/.250/.417, HR

64 vs. right: .309/.391/.422, 2HR

Bases Empty: .282

RISP: .313

RISP w/2 outs: .375

Men on w/2 outs: .417

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: .000

Career @ Camden Yards (5 starts)

(1-2) 4.25 (1.18/.265), 4HR

Career vs Baltimore (13 starts)

(6-5) 3.90 (1.19/.243), 12HR

vs. Batter

Adam Jones (33 AB) .030 (1-for-33)

Matt Wieters .222, 2 2B, 2HR, 3RBI

J.J. Hardy (25 AB) .360, 4 2B, HR, 4RBI

Nolan Reimold (19 AB) .421, 2B, 3B, HR, 3RBI

Chris Davis (17 AB) .176, S-HR

Manny Machado 2/9

Mark Trumbo 2/5, 2B, 2BB

Pedro Alvarez 0/2, BB

The Orioles do manage to avoid the sweep though they were only able to muster three hits the whole game, but I think they can be excused tonight because Moore pitched extremely well and it would have been seven shutout innings for him if it wasn't for Rickard's homer. It was the only bad pitch he made all game. I don't think we should count on that from Rickard, but it's a win against a tough pitcher and stops the three game skid to send the Orioles back home with a win.

In the opener of this four game series against the White Sox, we get Wilson against Danks. John Danks has been solid against the Orioles for his career and slightly worse at the Yards in ERA and BAA. Wilson's only start against the White Sox was a quality one, but man, I didn't realize just how hot the White Sox were. I think the Orioles are primed to snap out of this scoring drought (Schoop especially), but the White Sox are absolutely on fire. During this six game winning streak, the White Sox have outscored their opponents 34-10 and have done it while sweeping the Rangers and Jays after splitting a series with the Angels. Looking back on their April games, the Sox have been fairly consistent as far as run scoring goes. They have scored more than three runs in 14 of 21 April games including six consecutive games coming into this one while the Orioles are 10 for 20 having done it only twice in the last nine games. April has been pretty front heavy for the Orioles as the run scoring has fallen off the table in the last two weeks of the month and the White Sox are playing better baseball than the Orioles right now.

The Orioles are 7-1 at home and there couldn't be a hotter team coming in for four games, but the bright side is what is hot must eventually cool down. John Danks does not scare me all that much and I think the Orioles really need to set the tone with a win in the opener and get the crowd to breathe some life into our bats. It will be an interesting series that could truly go either way, but I would be surprised if the bats stayed cold at home. Danks is going to have to be good which is something he has had great difficulty with so far this season.

The division remains crammed as all teams are within four games of each other with Boston on a four game winning streak with one more game to go against Atlanta while Toronto has lost three in a row.

On a side note: A few minutes before tonight's game, some S happened that had me really edgy for awhile and I took it out in the game thread. I have no problem with people who want to criticize my matchups, so please don't stop! I will be more careful with how I word things and try to be more specific in what games I'm talking about. Considering the abundance of complaints in game threads over this losing stretch about not getting big hits with runners in scoring position, stranding the bases loaded numerous times and squandering scoring opportunities, there was no doubt in my mind that everyone would know exactly where I was coming from. The game threads have been ripe with such comments and so I figured everyone would know what games I was referring to. I didn't really think that kind of clarification was needed nor has it ever been needed in the past, but I will pay more attention in the future. Anyway, my apologies to PaulFolk and anyone else I pissed off. It wasn't anything you guys did or said wrong. :)

Glad you are enjoying putting the story together with a minimum of opinion and a good dose of data.

Joey Rickard looks like the batboy.He makes Brandon Fahey look like Bernie Sanders.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tyler Wilson warming up in the bullpen. ⚾️ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Birdland?src=hash">#Birdland</a> <a href="https://t.co/EenYyxlLj5">pic.twitter.com/EenYyxlLj5</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">April 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Glad you are enjoying putting the story together with a minimum of opinion and a good dose of data.

Hey man, I am a hobbyist writer. I've never been paid for these (not a "professional"), but please don't forget that I am a fan first and I vent just like the rest of us do.

Archived