Will Wieters break .700 OPS in 2016?

FanSince88

Will Matt Wieters finish 2016 with an .OPS greater than .700?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Matt Wieters finish 2016 with an .OPS greater than .700?

• Yes
    • No

Wieters is quietly having a pretty awful start to the season, by his standards.

4:1 K/BB ratio (ugh). Only one HR so far and only 2 doubles. .327 SLG (barf).

What are the odds he pulls it together and at least breaks a .700 OPS this year?

He's only had a sub-.700 OPS once, in 2010. He flirted with it in 2013 but ended up at .704.

Not getting a whole lot for that $16 mil so far, I'll tell you that.

I think he will be somewhere in the .700 to .750 range. That's pretty much where he's been his entire career. I wouldn't be surprised if he was sub .700. though.

He's always batted higher in the lineup than he should be. Wieters should be the no. 7 or 8 hitter on this team when he plays.

With that power lineup surrounding him his numbers are abysmal. will Sisco be ready by next year?

Maybe with the bat. Probably needs another year with the glove. I'm thinking he will platoon with Caleb in 2018 but won't see much if anytime with the big club next year.

He seems to be one of the weakest swinging guys in the game. I cringe when he comes to bat. Once in a while he catches one but most of the time it's a lame pop up or grounder. I really think he hurts this team.

He seems to be one of the weakest swinging guys in the game. I cringe when he comes to bat. Once in a while he catches one but most of the time it's a lame pop up or grounder. I really think he hurts this team.

Well that weak swinging catcher's worst OPS in a season is better than Caleb Joseph's best OPS in a season. What is your improvement at the plate?

He has a .741 career OPS. Hasn't been under .700 since 2010. Just turned 30, so he should be not too far off peak. So I'd guess there's about a 75% chance of him breaking .700.

His performance thus far has lowered his career OPS by 0.002 points.

That was his second season in the majors and it was a .695 at that. I'd be willing to bet money that he exceeds .700 on the season were that bet available.

• 3 weeks later...

Wieters' OPS is up to .734 after hitting .458 over his last 7 games. Hopefully he can carry this hot streak for a while.

It's also worth noting that in 24 starts at catcher, only 7 baserunners have attempted to steal, and he's thrown out three of those. It seems his arm is fully recovered from TJ surgery, or at least the runners think so.

Wieters' OPS is up to .734 after hitting .458 over his last 7 games. Hopefully he can carry this hot streak for a while.

It's also worth noting that in 24 starts at catcher, only 7 baserunners have attempted to steal, and he's thrown out three of those. It seems his arm is fully recovered from TJ surgery, or at least the runners think so.

The tag on CD's throw to the plate was vintage Wieters.

It was. I was surprised they didn't challenge and say he didn't give him a path to the plate. I'll take it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Matt did block the path of the runner -- and did so very effectively -- but since he had the ball at the time he was permitted to put up what used to be called the "roadblock.".

Wieters led the team in OBP in May. His left-handed OBP for the season is .342. Lately it looks to me as if lefty Wieters realizes he's not going to be pulling many fast balls and he's looking for balls in the center of the plate or away to hit back up the middle or to left field. When he's successful, that can be very useful on a team with lots of power hitters that has trouble moving baserunners. It would be even better if he could have a designated runner; Matt always looks to me like he's dragging a heavy weight, maybe a ball and chain, with him when he's on the bases, churning real hard but not getting much of anywhere with all that effort. I've never been too clear why a guy with his athletic ability can't run, and whether he can't run because he's been a catcher for so long or it's the other way around.

Archived