vs. TWINS, 5/09

Sessh

Baltimore Orioles (18-12, 1st, +1.0) @ Minnesota Twins (8-23, 5th -13.5)

Streak / L10

BAL: +2, Won 4 of 6 / L10: 6-4

MIN: -5, Lost 6 of 7 / L10: 1-9

Game 1 (8:10)

(QS=1)Tyler Wilson (1-1) 3.04 (1.10/.222), 13/6 (2HR)

vs.

(QS=0)Jose Berrios (1-1) 6.75 (1.71/.257), 5/2 (2HR)

Tyler Wilson: Wilson notched his first QS in the last start against the Yankees of six innings and two earned, but also walked three and threw 96 pitches. Wilson has only a relief appearance against the Twins and only Park has a hit against him, but he will be seeing Discount Retailer Field for the first time.

Splits & Sits

57 vs. left: .216/.281/.246

41 vs. right: .231/.268/.439, 2HR

Bases Empty: .211

RISP: .278

RISP w/2 outs: .222

Men on w/2 outs: .278

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: .500

2016 Away (1 start, 1 relief)

(1-0) 3.38 (1.00/.250), HR

Career @ Target Field (0 starts)

First time!

Career vs. MIN (1 relief)

3 IP, 2H, K

vs. Batter

Byung-ho Park 1/1

Everyone Else 0/8

Jose Berrios: Berrios will make his third career start in this one and probably isn't thrilled about the team he's facing. Berrios is having a lot of trouble with lefties which could mean we see more of Alvarez and Kim in the Orioles lineup. Berrios is not having trouble striking people out as he has 13 of them in 9.1 innings, but also has seven walks. His one start at Discount Retailer Field wasn't a good one, but his road start was solid. Still, it looks like the Orioles are going to have chances against Berrios in this one.

Splits & Sits

25 vs. left: .364/.440/.520, HR

18 vs. right: .077/.333/.222, HR

Bases Empty: .278

RISP: .182

RISP w/2 outs: .000

Men on w/2 outs: .167

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: .500

Career @ Target Field (1 start)

(0-1) 4 IP, 6H, 5ER, 2BB, 5K

Career vs Baltimore (0 starts)

Debut!

vs. Batter

NA

Tillman didn't look like he was going to have a good game giving up three runs in the first inning, but ended up with the quality start at the end of the day as the Orioles hit a ton of home runs including 2HR/6RBI from Manny and win 11-3 and have won two series in a row now. The team will now head to Minnesota for three against the Twins. Graveman was awful and really set the tone for the rest of the game for them.

The Twins have won only eight games so far this season and are already completely out of the playoffs sitting 13.5 games out in their division and have won only one game in their last 10. You don't get much better chances than this to put up a four game winning streak and that's a chance the Orioles have in front of them right now. The Twins are bad, real bad. Just how bad are they? During the current five game skid, the Twins have been outscored by their opponents 42-15. One of the only bright spots for the Twins thus far is Byung-ho Park who is slashing .268/.351/.598 and a .949 OPS with seven home runs and 12 RBI. Hell, 12 of his 22 hits thus far have been for extra bases.

The pitching edge goes to the Orioles here as Wilson has been pitching OK so far this season while Berrios is still largely an unknown, but we do know he can get strikeouts. Finishing off hitters has been a problem for Wilson, so we shall see how all of this plays out. The Twins can't be feeling too good about themselves this season and the Orioles are coming off a game where they blew their offensive wad. Whether or not they have anything left for this one is yet to be seen. The offense is about as consistent as Ubaldo Jimenez's pitching, but really, the Orioles have no business losing to this Twins team right now.

The Orioles sit a game in first place, but that will change based on the outcome of the Boston/NYY game that will start at 8:05. The Orioles (+2), Rays (+3) and Yankees (+2) are all on winning streaks while the Jays (-2) and Sox (-2) are going the wrong direction. This Twins series will give the Orioles a real chance to put some distance between them and Boston as they seem to be cooling off now and the Orioles are facing the second worst team in baseball for three games.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little bit more on Berrios, the 4th best right handed pitching prospect in baseball:

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=538882283&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

So far in just two starts, Berrios has shown a high walk rate and a high strikeout rate. He will be quite a test against a lineup trying to improve on both areas this season (and actually, so far they have improved).

A little bit more on Berrios, the 4th best right handed pitching prospect in baseball:

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=538882283&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

So far in just two starts, Berrios has shown a high walk rate and a high strikeout rate. He will be quite a test against a lineup trying to improve on both areas this season (and actually, so far they have improved).

Thanks. Good insight.

Sweet, nice find there. Looks like a promising piece for the Twins.

Are we going to get this game in? In other words, can I keep Manny in my daily fantasy lineup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so! I am waiting in a bar just outside the stadium. Looks like light rain, so I expect them to get it in. Looks like no batting practice though, which is a bummer.

This looks like a guy in Barrios that will get drilled tomorrow. Which of course means the Orioles will get shut out. But they should score a lot of runs here in back-to-back games.

He's due to pitch well, hopefully he'll remain due after this series.

I hope so! I am waiting in a bar just outside the stadium. Looks like light rain, so I expect them to get it in. Looks like no batting practice though, which is a bummer.

Isn't the game in Minnesota?

Archived