Jimmy Paredes is a Phillie!

wildcard

Paredes has had a good 20 day rehab period. He has DHed, played 3B and some outfield. He has a 912 OPS at AAA and an 847 OPS in 65 at bats at Frederick, Bowie and Norfolk combined. But its decision time for the O's on Paredes and there is no room on the 25 man roster.

DFAing Paredes means he can be traded or claim on waivers. If no one claims him he can be outrighted to AAA. I am sure the O's would like to keep him in the organization. However, Jimmy has the right to refuse the assignment and become a free agent if not traded or claimed.

It seems likely that a 40 man roster spot will open up and Dan will be searching for someone to add to the major league roster.

Since November of 2013 Paredes has been DFAed four times by Astros, Marlins, O's and Royals. He has been claimed off waivers three times and the O's purchased his contract from the Royals in July of 2014.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roch's blog report on Jimmy:

Down on the farm, Jimmy Paredes is completing his injury rehab assignment today at Triple-A Norfolk. The Orioles must decide what to do with him.

There?s clearly no spot for him on the 25-man roster unless they?re willing to option Ryan Flaherty, who?s been their third baseman, or remove Paul Janish. They?ve gauged outside interest, including overseas.

The Orioles may have no choice except to designate Paredes for assignment, hope he clears waivers and accepts an outright assignment to Triple-A Norfolk.

If a team claimed Paredes, the Orioles could feel fortunate that they got so much out of him during the first half last season, when he hit .299/.332/.475 with 12 doubles, two triples and 10 home runs in 68 games.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/05/todays-game-and-pending-paredes-decision.html

I think he'll be claimed, but I wouldn't think twice about designating him for assignment. We don't need him -- full stop. End of analysis.

Well, they have to DFA him or trade him. But I don't dismiss him like you. He is good depth. The O's didn't need Janish until Hardy went down. Now they are glad they have him. If Davis, Trumbo or Alvarez go down then the O's could use Paredes.

Well, they have to DFA him or trade him. But I don't dismiss him like you. He is good depth. The O's didn't need Janish until Hardy went down. Now they are glad they have him. If Davis, Trumbo or Alvarez go down then the O's could use Paredes.

How is a DH with a below average bat good depth?

If Davis, Trumbo or Alvarez go down it just means more at bats for Reimold and Kim.

How is a DH with a below average bat good depth?

If Davis, Trumbo or Alvarez go down it just means more at bats for Reimold and Kim.

And there is always Walker, Mancini, Urrutia and Dariel Alvarez of which three are currently on the Forty Man Roster, to promote.

Is it possible that Alvarez goes to 3B, Paredes and Reimold platoon at DH, and Flaherty goes down?

Not if they hide the peyote from Buck.

I'd rather have a black hole in the lineup than in the infield.

Anyway I'm not sure they would keep Janish over Flaherty in that situation.

I really believe you should try to keep everyone of value during the season. You never know when you are going to be glad to have them. Look at Steve Pearce a few years ago when we almost lost him.

The question is, does Parades count as someone of value?

I don't see a scenario where he is needed.

The question is, does Parades count as someone of value?

I don't see a scenario where he is needed.

Many people thought there was no need for Pearce either that year. He was seen as the "odd man out". Until Hardy comes back, just demote Flaherty or Janish; Janish would be my pick. Play Flaherty at 3B and Manny at SS. If in the middle of one game, Manny gets hurt, you put Flaherty as SS and Alvarez or Parades to 3B to finish the game and call up Janish after the game. Now, when Hardy comes back, we revisit this.

Many people thought there was no need for Pearce either that year. He was seen as the "odd man out". Until Hardy comes back' date=' just demote Flaherty or Janish; Janish would be my pick. Play Flaherty at 3B and Manny at SS. If in the middle of one game, Manny gets hurt, you put Flaherty as SS and Alvarez or Parades to 3B to finish the game and call up Janish after the game. Now, when Hardy comes back, we revisit this.[/quote']

Pearce was capable of playing defense.

Archived