vs INDIANS, 5/29

Sessh

Baltimore Orioles (27-20, 2nd -1.0) vs. Cleveland Indians (26-21, 1st +0.5)

Streak / L10

BAL: -1, Lost 5 of 6 / L10: 4-6

CLE: +1, Won 4 of 5 / L10: 6-4

NEW: Quality Start minimum requirements (experimental, suggestions welcome)

- 6 IP, 2ER

- 7 IP, 3ER

- Game ERA must be 4.00 or less

Game 3 (1:10)

(QS=6)Chris Tillman (6-1) 2.61 (1.13/.204), 58/24 (3HR)

vs.

(QS=0)Mike Clevinger (0-1) 8.71 (1.55/.279), 9/4 (3HR)

Chris Tillman: All but one of Tillman's QS's are still QS with my new definition which means he has been very, very good. That is really the whole point, IMO, of making the definition stricter in that it gives the quality start more weight and meaning. Tillman has allowed only eight runs all month in 33.2 innings good for a 2.14 ERA, but he has issued 16 walks as well which is too high. He had only eight in 25 April innings. Anyway, Tillman has not been as good on the road this season, but far from bad and he has been solid against Cleveland as well so long as he isn't pitching in "We Pay To Defend Your Killer In Court" Insurance Company Field where he has been pretty awful in four starts. He has a history of walking too many batters in this park and that doesn't seem to bode well considering his recent struggles with walks.

Splits & Sits

126 vs. left: .207/.302/.310, 2HR

105 vs. right: .200/.280/.243, HR

Bases Empty: .222

RISP: .204

RISP w/2 outs: .286

Men on w/2 outs: .242

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: .667

2016 Away (3 starts)

(1-1) 3.79 (1.05/.203), HR

Career @ Progressive Field (4 starts)

(2-2) 5.75 (1.62/.284), 2HR, 10BB in 20.1 IP

Career vs. CLE (7 starts)

(4-2) 3.89 (1.30/.247), 4HR

vs. Batter

Mike Napoli (27 AB) .259, 2 2B, 3RBI, 4BB, 9K

Jason Kipnis (11 AB) .273, 2B, HR, 3RBI, 4BB

Carlos Santana (11 AB) .091, 2B, 4BB

Lonnie Chisenhall 1/8

Chris Gimenez 2/8, 2B

Yan Gomes 2/6, 2B, 2RBI

Marlon Byrd 2/3, RBI

Rajai Davis 0/3, 2K

Francisco Lindor 0/3, 2K

Roberto Perez 1/2, 2B

Juan Uribe 0/2

Mike Clevinger: Clevinger is essentually an AA pitcher who appears to be being rushed to the majors a bit. He pitched to a 2.73 (1.06) in 158 AA innings last season. He threw 35.2 innings at AAA this season to a 3.03 (1.26) with 17 walks, but only two homers allowed. In two starts with the Indians, he has allowed three home runs and four walks in 10.1 innings with nine strikeouts good for a 8.71 (1.55) line in two starts. This kid seems very green, but does seem to have some decent upside. He has allowed 10 runs in 10.1 innings with those two starts coming against the Reds and White Sox. Reports say he ran out of gas in the fifth in the last start and gave up a long three run homer to Lawrie, but did manage five innings in both starts. The Indians consider Clevinger to be their #3 prospect. He throws low to mid 90's, but has been known to touch 97 on occasion. That is supplemented with three above average off-speed pitches; a change, curve and slider. The Indians are expecting big things from Clevinger and potential future ace for the club, but maybe he's not quite ready to live up to that yet.

Splits & Sits

26 vs. left: .167/.231/.308, HR

21 vs. right: .421/.476/.714, 2HR

Bases Empty: .318

RISP: .364

RISP w/2 outs: .500

Men on w/2 outs: .286

Man on 3rd, < 2 outs: 1.000

2016 Home (0 starts)

NA

Career @ Progressive Field (0 starts)

Debut

Career vs Baltimore (0 starts)

Debut

vs. Batter

NA

Not surprisingly, this game was over before Jimenez could get out of the second inning in his worst start of the season. Salazar scattered three hits over five innings, but got roughed up a bit in the sixth and got out of it with only two runs allowed and it should have been more. It was an ugly loss for the Orioles, but Worley once again was very effective in relief allowing one earned over 4.1 innings. It's never pretty with Worley, but he manages to be effective. You have to wonder how many more starts Jimenez is going to get before Worley gets a shot in his place. One would think that moment is fast approaching if not already here after today's performance. An ugly game all around for the Orioles this afternoon, but they did manage four runs in the contest.

On paper, this pitching matchup is all Orioles. Tillman proved a couple years ago that he can be consistently good over a very long period of time and there's no signs he is slowing down yet. Clevinger seems very green and has only 35.2 innings at AAA ball prior to him being called up to the Indians two starts ago. The Orioles are looking mighty good on paper. but anything can happen when we actually have to play the games.

In the division, Boston has lost three in a row, but the Orioles have only been able to win once over that time and remain one back of the lead. Toronto has won four in a row clawing back to within four of Boston and NY and TB are 5.5 and six games back. In the Central, the White Sox have officially been unseated with Cleveland's win today as they move a half game into first place and with KC's second win in a row today, they are now tied for second with Chicago who has now lost five in a row. KC has been decimated with injuries and it's hard to envision them hanging around all season, but these are the defending champions. We will see how resiliant they are this season without question. In the West, most of those teams play late night games. Seattle remains in first a game and a half ahead of Texas who have jumped out to a 3-0 lead against the Pirates in the first inning.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

DOWN ON THE AAA FARM

18 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts, 4 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Thrown Out at Home Plate

J.D. GUNKEL O (vs. AAA-Scranton, 5/28)

IP:l 6

H:;; 5 l(1 Home Run, 4 Singles)

R:l) 2

BB: 1

SO: 6

Pitches: 79 (54 Strikes, 25 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.36 l(AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

91 (71 Strikes, 2 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 3 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls)

21 (13 Strikes, 8 Balls)

I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if Clevinger who looks like a Tim Lincecum hair model stand in would 3 hit us and strike us out 12 times and stick the bats where the sun doesn't shine. We are ghastly awful with pitchers we have never seen and we are a still impatient and undisciplined hitting team. Nothing would surprise me on the road. Even Tillman getting lit up too.

Tied for 6th in MLB for P/PA.

I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if Clevinger who looks like a Tim Lincecum hair model stand in would 3 hit us and strike us out 12 times and stick the bats where the sun doesn't shine. We are ghastly awful with pitchers we have never seen and we are a still impatient and undisciplined hitting team. Nothing would surprise me on the road. Even Tillman getting lit up too.

Probably what we are in for.

Hey, I could do that too. :laughlol:

I might try to reorganize my writeups a bit to include pictures of the pitchers and whatnot and maybe some OFFNY style colors in some places, but I'm lazy and haven't felt like it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck on Jimenez being "projected" starter for Thu: "I’m the projected manager for today, but who knows..Just about everything is projected."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">May 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

o

BALTIMORE O RIOLES

Adam Jones - CF

- LF

Manny Machado - SS

Chris Davis - 1B

Mark Trumbo - DH

Matthew Wieters - C

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Nolan Reimold - RF

Ryan Edward Flaherty - 3B

Christopher Steven Tillman - RHP (6-1, 2.61 ERA)

CLEVELAND INDIANS

Carlos Santana - 1B

Jason Kipnis - 2B

Francisco Lindor - SS

Mike Napoli - DH

Jose Ramirez - LF

Juan Uribe - 3B

Yan Gomes - C

Marlon Byrd - RF

Rajai Davis - CF

Michael Anthony Clevinger - RHP (0-1, 8.71 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

Looks more like Cleopatra then Marc Anthony.

I don't know, Kim still looks over matched on a good MLB fastball.

He looks like he's pressing since being moved to the two hole. He's chasing more. Maybe he should be in the bottom third for now. Clev is throwing 92. Kim was hitting 96 in the Houston series. He singled off 96 from Hunter yesterday.

Archived