Ken Rosenthal Says Manny should get 400 million too! Or even More!

weams

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/video?vid=694893636000

Bryce Harper might not be the only $400MM free agent if he reaches the open market in 2018, says FOX Sports? Ken Rosenthal (video link), who reports that Orioles third baseman/shortstop Manny Machado could also exceed that total. Machado is a more valuable defender at third than Harper is in right, argues Rosenthal, and is just three months older than Harper (both will be 26 in 2018). Machado, who has slashed a videogamelike .323/.397/.634 with 13 home runs in 209 plate appearances this year, has outhit Harper (.243/.423/.537, 12 homers in 201 PAs) and leads all major leaguers in fWAR (3.4).

Don't quite agree. Harper is a solid RF who NOBODY wants to pitch to. Put him in this lineup and he would hit 60 HRs. He will surpass MM in contract too by at least $50m in total payout.
Not so sure. I don't think we've seen the best of Manny and as a SS he has more value. I think Harpers defense will decline.

Not so sure. I don't think we've seen the best of Manny and as a SS he has more value. I think Harpers defense will decline.

If Manny could fix his baserunning, he'd be worth like 2 WAR more a year! Think of the money Manny!

One thing is for certain, you don't let Manny go to free agency.

You extend him or you trade him for a haul.

That, I hope. Unless the budget's a lot bigger than I think, I'm very skeptical that the O's could field a good team with a 400 million dollar player on the roster.

Oh that's insane. To give a player half a billion dollar contract. It's already gotten

to where the average Joe can't afford to go to games. At least I can't.

When you come visit, let me know. I'll treat.

We have like $25 million committed to 2019 unless I'm forgetting about someone so I don't see why we couldn't do it and have room for other stuff.

Davis accounts for that himself. Then add Machado's contract. How much money do you have left to field a competent team? What's going to be the price of a single WAR on the open market in 2019? 8m? 9m?

Davis accounts for that himself. Then add Machado's contract. How much money do you have left to field a competent team? What's going to be the price of a single WAR on the open market in 2019? 8m? 9m?

That's not correct. Davis will be paid $17M in 2019.

Archived