2016 3rd Round Pick - Austin Hays - OF - Jacksonville University Florida

Hays_Austin_FRN_3501.jpg?max_width=160&max_height=210

Height: 6'1

Weight: 205

Year: So.

Hometown: Port Orange, Fla

High School: Spruce Creek H.S.

Position: OF

“I was undersized and under-recruited in high school,” said Hays, who now stands 6 feet 1 and 195 pounds. “We won the state championship my junior year and ended up being ranked as the No. team in the nation at one point. From there I was recruited to go to Seminole State College, where I played my freshman year and had a great season. I then played in the Florida Collegiate League that summer and won the MVP award and the home run derby.

“I came to JU last season and struggled for the first time in my baseball career but learned from my failures. After the season, I went to the Cape Cod League to play for the Hyannis Harbor Hawks for the summer. I had a great season and ended up making the All-Cape Team. Now I’m back at JU hoping for a great season this year.”

Hays’ biggest strength is his arm, said Dave Johnson, NSR area director in Daytona Beach.

Austin Hays has developed into a bona fide professional prospect.

“Austin has always had a big-league arm,” said Johnson, who discovered Hays at Spruce Creek. “When we shot his first skills video, his high coach said, ‘Watch this.’ From home plate, Austin threw the ball over the center-field fence some 410 feet away.”

According to his bio on the JU baseball website, Hays has the “strongest arm in the outfield.” During the 2015 season, he had an impressive 87 putouts.

http://www.nsr-inc.com/scouting-news/former-nsr-baseball-prospect-voted-sun-belt-preseason-mvp/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Austin Hays - OF - Jacksonville University

2015:

Fourth on the Dolphins in hits?third in RBI?fifth in doubles?second in HR?third in stolen bases?10 multi-hit games?nine multi-RBI games?four games with three RBI?Season-high 11-game hitting streak?reached base in 13 straight-games?Had four hits against Florida A&M?three multi-hit games in conference play?strongest arm in the outfield?87 putouts

2014 (Seminole State):

Played one season at Seminole State

Team MVP

2nd Team All-State

1st Team All-Conference

Outstanding Freshman Athlete of the Year

Batted .382, .425 OBP, .576 OBP

6 HR, 38 RBI, 12 doubles, one triple

Seven assists and a .928 fielding percentage

High School:

Four-year starter at Spruce Creek H.S.

Graduated Summa Cum Laude

As a senior, was the team MVP and All-Area First Team in RF

As a junior, claimed the 8A State Championship

2012 First Team All-Conference and All-Area

2012 Orlando Sentential Team of the Year

Offensive POY

batted .402, 26 RBI, 1 HR, 10 SB and .452 with runners in scoring position

As a sophomore, .404 avg., 6 2B, 3 HR, 21 RBI

Team MVP

All-County Team Daytona Beach News Journal

Personal:

Born July 5, 1995 in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Son of Charles 'Chuck' and Terrie Hays

Brother of one sister, Ashelyn

http://www.judolphins.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/bios/hays_austin

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2016-mlb-draft-best-available-players-remaining-on-day-2/

Austin Hays, OF, Jacksonville

Hays started his collegiate career at Seminole State Juco and transferred to Jacksonville after one year. He had a decent sophomore campaign and then blew up in 2016. On the season, he hit .350/.406/.655 with 16 doubles, two triples, 16 homers and 15 steals in 54 games. The power-speed combo bodes well, particularly because he's said to be a prototypical right fielder. Also, the 32 strikeouts in 223 at-bats shows some contact skills at a young age.

Here is what they said about Quinn in comparison for all those interested:

Heath Quinn, OF, Samford

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, it's easy to see the allure here for this power-hitting corner outfielder. Quinn's been here before, kind of. He was drafted in the 12th round by the Indians out of high school, but he's significantly improved his draft stock in college. This past season, he hit .343 with 17 doubles, 21 homers and -- brace yourself -- 77 RBI in 61 games. He did strike out 55 times, but he also drew 44 walks.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles get OF Austin Hays. One of best available on our board. #47 on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BA500?src=hash">#BA500</a>. Productive college bat.</p>— JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) <a href="

">June 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived