2016 13th Round Pick - Brandon Bonilla - LHP - Hawaii Pacific

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hawaii’s Top 10 MLB Draft Prospects

1. Brandon Bonilla – LHP – Hawai’i Pacific

The 6’4″ 215 lb. senior will hope that the third time in the MLB draft is a charm. Bonilla was selected in the 37th round out of IMG Academy (FL) by the Marlins in 2011, and in the 25th round by the Baltimore Orioles out of Grand Canyon University (AZ) in 2014. The strong-framed left handed hurler ran his fastball up to 98 miles-per-hour this spring, generally sitting in the 90-94 MPH range. He features a sharp curve ball that helped him break the HPU record for saves in a season with 12 in 2016. Command consistency has been an issue for the projectable prospect. Bonilla is the son of former six-time All-Star outfielder Bobby Bonilla, and the godson of all-time home run king Barry Bonds. In a dominant 2016 campaign with the Sharks, Bonilla only allowed one earned run in 25.1 innings of work while striking out 38 hitters.

http://khon2.com/2016/06/09/khon2-2016-mlb-draft-top-prospect-list/

Must be some serious control issues. Struggle believing a 6-4, son of former all star, who can run a left-handed fastball up to 98 mph could fly under the radar.

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Due Tomorrow: Mets payment of $1.19 million to Bobby Bonilla. Will make this payment every 7/1 through 2035 <a href="https://t.co/FXZ3c1Nqwq">pic.twitter.com/FXZ3c1Nqwq</a></p>— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) <a href="

">June 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure it was so great for him. I read this article yesterday:

Deferred Payments for Bonilla Article

I am no math guy, but I am pretty sure that the guy in that article is no investment/math wizard either.... He does not account for taxes which probably would have cut down that initial investment money in half if he had gotten it in one lump sum back in 2000 and the author assumes 8% growth which is far from assured. Spreading the payments down the road saves you from yourself and provides a nice little pension of sorts. I think it is a wise thing to hedge your bets and to diversify your income sources. Bobby did very well for himself in my opinion.

I am no math guy, but I am pretty sure that the guy in that article is no investment/math wizard either.... He does not account for taxes which probably would have cut down that initial investment money in half if he had gotten it in one lump sum back in 2000 and the author assumes 8% growth which is far from assured. Spreading the payments down the road saves you from yourself and provides a nice little pension of sorts. I think it is a wise thing to hedge your bets and to diversify your income sources. Bobby did very well for himself in my opinion.

There is no investment that returns 8 percent. Except for the one Bernie had going.

Since 1925 stocks have returned 11.7% annually.

Only if you did not own GM and You bought Google and Facebook. Unless you are talking investing trillions in the total market and never taking a penny out. If so, you are completely right. Timing is everything.

Given that interest rates have declined to near 0 (sub-zero around the globe), deferring forward payments discounted at a much higher rate (15 years ago) was an incredibly fortuitous thing to do.

Archived