For those of us who do not really follow the draft, can someone offer a short

Lots of college pitchers and some high school pitchers sprinkled in, too. Looks like we took 27 pitchers and 14 position players.

Most of these pitchers look like relievers. A bunch didn't even start in college. I'm assuming the high school guys and top 3 picks will all start out as starters. I think we picked up a lot of pitchers who can strike people out.

If some of these guys pan out, we'll have a nice cheap homegrown bullpen in Baltimore within a few years.

My favorite pick is the 2nd round comp pick Matthias Dietz. I like his size, velocity, delivery, and the fact that he's apparently made big strides with his secondary pitches. He looks like he could be a good reliever at worst.

Thought to be the best junior college prospect in the Draft, Dietz was originally drafted by the Giants in the 29th round last year, but he didn't sign. Instead, he spent the summer adding strength, and he's seen big improvements in his stuff. He went 12-1 with a 1.22 ERA in 13 starts with 117 strikeouts over 103 innings in 2016, ranking third in wins, fifth in ERA and seventh in whiffs among national junior college pitchers entering the JUCO World Series.

Dietz was compensation after the Orioles were unable to sign their second-round pick last year, Jonathan Hughes.

Dietz, who topped out at 93-94 mph last year, now consistently sits at 91-94 mph with his fastball and has hit 98 in shorter outings. His slider has also improved, and he's made big strides with his changeup, which gives him a better chance of remaining a starter.

Listed at 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds, the 20-year-old has a three-quarters delivery and creates a tough angle for hitters. According to MLB.com's expert reports, he "has no problem filling the strike zone, though he'll need to improve the command of his fastball and the consistency of his secondary pitches to make it as a big league starter. If he can't, he has promise as a late-inning reliever."

My least favorite pick, for now, is 12th rounder Max Knutson. His numbers look pretty pedestrian. Not a ton of Ks and too many walks.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153422-2016-12th-Round-Pick-Max-Knutson-LHP-Nebraska

I think 22nd rounder Nickolas Gruener is a dark horse. He reminds me a little bit of Tyler Wilson.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153432-2016-22nd-Round-Pick-Nickolas-Gruener-RHP-Harvard

Lots of college pitchers and some high school pitchers sprinkled in, too. Looks like we took 27 pitchers and 14 position players.

Most of these pitchers look like relievers. A bunch didn't even start in college. I'm assuming the high school guys and top 3 picks will all start out as starters. I think we picked up a lot of pitchers who can strike people out.

If some of these guys pan out, we'll have a nice cheap homegrown bullpen in Baltimore within a few years.

My favorite pick is the 2nd round comp pick Matthias Dietz. I like his size, velocity, delivery, and the fact that he's apparently made big strides with his secondary pitches. He looks like he could be a good reliever at worst.

My least favorite pick, for now, is 12th rounder Max Knutson. His numbers look pretty pedestrian. Not a ton of Ks and too many walks.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153422-2016-12th-Round-Pick-Max-Knutson-LHP-Nebraska

I think 22nd rounder Nickolas Gruener is a dark horse. He reminds me a little bit of Tyler Wilson.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153432-2016-22nd-Round-Pick-Nickolas-Gruener-RHP-Harvard

That strategy seems oddly familiar to me?

Wonder why that is?

I like the first-round pick, Cody Sedlock. I think he's a fairly high-floor guy with room to grow into a good major leaguer. My biggest concern is over whether he can stay healthy.

Not the biggest fan of second pick Keegan Akin, but there's definitely stuff to like there. He doesn't really have the prototypical pitcher's frame (he's 6'1) and the lack of natural downward plane means his fastball can be very hittable if it's up in the zone. But he's a lefty and apparently his secondaries are pretty decent, so maybe I just saw him (on TV) on a bad day.

The next five picks (Matthias Dietz, Austin Hays, Brenan Hanifee, Alexis Torres, and Tobias Myers) are all intriguing. Hanifee and Torres are HS arms with good frames and low-90s fastballs, which automatically earns you an "intriguing" in my book. Torres is a high schooler from Puerto Rico who can flat-out play shortstop, but has questions on his bat. Hays played at a smallish college program but had big production both in college ball and the Cape league, and BA had him in their top 50 and called him a "prototype" right field prospect. And Dietz is a big, hard-throwing JuCo righty who probably has the highest ceiling in the draft class.

A couple more picks of note are Preston Palmeiro (as in Raffy) and Brandon Bonilla (as in Bobby). Preston, like his dad at his age, is a first base prospect from a big college program with good ability to make contact but questions over his power potential. Bonilla is a hard-throwing lefty who is probably a reliever as a pro.

Possible overslots include every high schooler drafted in round 11 or later. Biggest name of those is probably Daniel Bakst out of New York, who was projected as a high pick before a rough spring and will probably be tough to buy out of his Stanford commitment.

I like the first-round pick, Cody Sedlock. I think he's a fairly high-floor guy with room to grow into a good major leaguer. My biggest concern is over whether he can stay healthy.

Not the biggest fan of second pick Keegan Akin, but there's definitely stuff to like there. He doesn't really have the prototypical pitcher's frame (he's 6'1) and the lack of natural downward plane means his fastball can be very hittable if it's up in the zone. But he's a lefty and apparently his secondaries are pretty decent, so maybe I just saw him (on TV) on a bad day.

The next five picks (Matthias Dietz, Austin Hays, Brenan Hanifee, Alexis Torres, and Tobias Myers) are all intriguing. Hanifee and Torres are HS arms with good frames and low-90s fastballs, which automatically earns you an "intriguing" in my book. Torres is a high schooler from Puerto Rico who can flat-out play shortstop, but has questions on his bat. Hays played at a smallish college program but had big production both in college ball and the Cape league, and BA had him in their top 50 and called him a "prototype" right field prospect. And Dietz is a big, hard-throwing JuCo righty who probably has the highest ceiling in the draft class.

A couple more picks of note are Preston Palmeiro (as in Raffy) and Brandon Bonilla (as in Bobby). Preston, like his dad at his age, is a first base prospect from a big college program with good ability to make contact but questions over his power potential. Bonilla is a hard-throwing lefty who is probably a reliever as a pro.

Possible overslots include every high schooler drafted in round 11 or later. Biggest name of those is probably Daniel Bakst out of New York, who was projected as a high pick before a rough spring and will probably be tough to buy out of his Stanford commitment.

Excellent summary and analysis. I like Sedlock, Hays, and Torres, but I'll take a wait and see approach on Akin and Dietz. There were other guys available at those picks that I liked (Nolan Jones and Connor Jones), but we'll have to wait 3-4 years to see if Gary was right. Overall, it seems we drafted a lot of college pitchers who profile as relievers. I would have preferred more upside picks, but if several of these college arms end up being decent major leaguers it will be a good draft.

Pitching, Pitching and more pitching. Here is my darkhorse pick. Had to go with a Cali kid.

Ryan Mauch - 32nd round. Another overslot pick. Signed to pitch at Long Beach State.

Missed most of his senior season with a torn ACL. Father is Tom Mauch, former first round pick in 1983 of the Cardinals. A lot to like about this kid:

http://www.sgvtribune.com/sports/201...-baseball-team

Ryan Mauch (LHP, 6'4", 190 - South Hills High School)

The only southpaw in the class, Mauch has been dominant the last two seasons at South Hills High, which is the alma mater of Dirtbags legend Jason Giambi. Mauch went 6-1 as a sophomore with a 2.49 ERA and was even better as an 11th grader. During his 2015 season, Mauch went a perfect 8-0 with an impressive 0.76 ERA in eight starts. He threw a pair of shutouts, striking out 38 batters in 55 innings with just 10 walks. Mauch also pitches for So Cal Birds and was a Perfect Game Underclassmen All-American Honorable Mention in 2015.

Ryan's father, Tom, pitched at Cal Poly Pomona and was a first round draft pick of the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1983 MLB Draft.

"Ryan is an athletic 6-foot-4 LHP that we expect to have an immediate impact as a freshman. He features a three-pitch arsenal (fastball, curveball and changeup) with the ability to command his secondary pitches. Ryan has a solid pitching foundation that comes from his father and also from a solid and successful high school program which will benefit in his transition to our level."

Archived