Bases loaded with nobody out

Bmorefan24

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bases loaded, one out in the third. After Sanchez had walked Alvarez to load the bases, in a situation where a hitter should be looking for a strike to drive in the air, Schoop stupidly swings at the first pitch up out of the zone, pops out shallow along the right field line, and to make matters worse, Manny is foolishly sent from third and thrown out at home.

Run scoring and hitting is hardly the problem with this team.

Exactly. That's why I posed the question, because it truly makes no sense.

What doesn't make sense?

As Drungo pointed out:

Don't know. Before tonight, they had a 1.056 OPS with the bases loaded and nobody out ...... including a homer and eight runs/RBI in six AB.

Are you really that puzzled that an otherwise very good offensive team that has done well with the bases loaded all season long will actually have a bad game every now and then over the course of a 162-game season?

Bases loaded, one out in the third. After Sanchez had walked Alvarez to load the bases, in a situation where a hitter should be looking for a strike to drive in the air, Schoop stupidly swings at the first pitch up out of the zone, pops out shallow along the right field line, and to make matters worse, Manny is foolishly sent from third and thrown out at home.

I agree with the first part. But it took an outstanding turn and throw by their guy running away from the plate into right field AND it took an illegal block of the plate to get Manny. I agree with sending him. The real problem was as Jim Palmer said. If Manny had run when he hit the right field wall he would have had a double. And that would have made Chris Davis line drive a two run single because their guy would not have been positioned where he was if Manny was on second rather than first.

Last 3+ games, 4 times bases loaded with zero or one out. All 4 times O's failed to score. I really don't have the stats to back up my theory here, I just know I remember it occurring several times over the years where we get nothing or at best, a single run on a sac fly or fielders choice.

This isn't a thread intended to bash the hitting. I just think it's odd that a great hitting team seems to fall a little flat in a situation where the pressure is squarely on the pitchers.

Last 3+ games, 4 times bases loaded with zero or one out. All 4 times O's failed to score. I really don't have the stats to back up my theory here, I just know I remember it occurring several times over the years where we get nothing or at best, a single run on a sac fly or fielders choice.

This isn't a thread intended to bash the hitting. I just think it's odd that a great hitting team seems to fall a little flat in a situation where the pressure is squarely on the pitchers.

It will certainly drive you nuts watching it happen.

Archived