TT: Is it time to try Mancini in the OF at Norfolk?

Tony-OH

Trey Mancini has finally adjusted to AAA pitching and is tearing the cover off the ball down in AAA slashing .452/.489/.714/1.203 over his last ten games. Although there is no room on the Orioles right now anywhere in the lineup, Mancini is doing everything to show he doesn't belong in the minors anymore.

Mancini of course has one other problem. He plays the same position as Chris Davis and Davis was just signed to the big contract so he's not moving off first base anytime soon. The Orioles had a similar problem with Christian Walker and converted him to left field this year. Reports are that Walker has done ok in left field though he's probably not going to win any gold gloves. The thing is, Mancini is a better hitting prospect than Walker and unless he's going to be a DH, the Orioles will need to see if he can effectively play another position.

The outfield, right field specifically, is the most logical choice though that means Dariel Alvarez will need to move to center field (which could help his versatility) with Yaz moving to left and Walker going back to first. Mancini is a big guy (6-4, 215) and he's not very quick, but either is Mark Trumbo and he hasn't killed the team in RF. For his part, Mancini thinks he could play the outfield.

"[The Orioles] haven't approached me about playing in the outfield. I'm a first baseman, at least for now. I'm definitely capable of playing the outfield, but I'm also going to respect their wishes for me. As of now, I'm just going to go out and play first every day," Mancini told Pressbox.com this spring.

I really couldn't tell you if Mancini could play the outfield or not, but I see little reason to not try him there in AAA. As I was once told by a scout, "No one thought Steve Pearce would be able to move off first base either."

Next year the Orioles may need to fill RF since someone is probably going to dump a truck load of cash on Trumbo if he keeps up his remarkable production, and there are no current in house options. Dariel Alvarez is more of a 4th outfielder type and Walker hasn't developed enough with the bat (.244 ./310/.412/.726) to be much more than an up down guy. At this point, the Orioles might as well see what they've got on Mancini.

On the other hand, Mancini might be the Orioles most tradeable commodity that doesn't effect the team this year. As we know, Dan Duquette is not afraid to move prospects for players who can help him win it all. If the Orioles don't give him a shot in the outfield, it might be because they want teams to see him play 1B. That would tell me that he could be their best trading chip.

Either way, Mancini is going to be in the big leagues next year and if it's with the Orioles, it's not going to be at first base.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it meant cutting Nolan to make room for him would you do it? I think in order for him to get AB's that's what it would take.

No, I'm not advocating bringing Mancini up, I'm suggesting they should try him in the outfield in AAA.

You say Trumbo hasn't killed you in RF, but in only 330 OF innings this year he's -5 defensive runs saved. That's over 36 2/3 game worth of innings. Over a full season that's on pace for -22DRS, which is a number than Even Adam Dunn only exceeded one time.

You say Trumbo hasn't killed you in RF, but in only 330 OF innings this year he's -5 defensive runs saved. That's over 36 2/3 game worth of innings. Over a full season that's on pace for -22DRS, which is a number than Even Adam Dunn only exceeded one time.

The Orioles are 47-30. I'm not a big believer in defensive metrics when it comes to actually affecting a team negatively. Is Trumbo a below average outfielder, absolutely, but I can't remember a time this year where I've said, "he just cost a ball game."

Is Trumbo a below average outfielder, absolutely, but I can't remember a time this year where I've said, "he just cost a ball game."

Would you trust a pitcher that was 10-0 with a 6.50 ERA going forward simply because he had gotten lucky in the past?

Also, judging OF defense with your eye is a fools errand. Defensive metrics may be flawed in such a small sample but they are far better than the alternatives.

The Orioles are 47-30. I'm not a big believer in defensive metrics when it comes to actually affecting a team negatively. Is Trumbo a below average outfielder, absolutely, but I can't remember a time this year where I've said, "he just cost a ball game."

In his defense (no pun intended), he has made some nice plays.

My own eye test, tells me, he is average, Ive seen worse fielders than Trumbo play COF.

Would you trust a pitcher that was 10-0 with a 6.50 ERA going forward simply because he had gotten lucky in the past?

Also, judging OF defense with your eye is a fools errand. Defensive metrics may be flawed in such a small sample but they are far better than the alternatives.

Just because that is your opinion doesn't make it so. Has there ever been an everyday Oriole OF that has had good defensive metrics?

Just because that is your opinion doesn't make it so.

So you're not debating the opinion, just pointing it

Has there ever been an everyday Oriole OF that has had good defensive metrics?

I'm not sure what your point here is? Do you think this would prove something about analytics or our outfielders?

No harm in letting Mancini try it in AAA. My only concern is that we finally get a "prospect" hitting in AAA, that never happens, then risk messing up his head by moving to the OF. But he's going to have to be mentally tough to play in the MLB anyway.

As for the future, I wouldn't have a problem with Mancini being a cheap DH for 6 years. Rickard and Kim are at least two good platoon guys in the COF. Maybe a Kim/Reimold,D.Alvarez platoon in LF and a Avery,Yaz/Rickard platoon in RF would work.

Definitely something he could at least try in the AFL or another winter league. We have to get creative. If we re sign MW, I'd expect Sisco to start playing some OF.

So you're not debating the opinion, just pointing it

I'm not sure what your point here is? Do you think this would prove something about analytics or our outfielders?

I don't really know. There has always been some questions about the ratings in Baltimore. I don't really like the defensive metrics. That is how I feel about it. I also can respect when someone like you does stand by then.

Because he hasn't. And that's a heck of an arm.

Archived