Trade deadline possibilities

ChuckS

With two weeks left of play before the trade deadline I thought it would be useful to compile a full list of SP that could be on the market.

Likely sellers at the deadline are: NYY, Rays, Twins, Athletics, LAA, Phillies, Braves, Brewers, Reds, Rockies, Padres, and Diamondbacks.

That's 12 sellers. And 18 possible buyers. How many of those 18 will be looking for SP help? Maybe someone else can help me with that.

SP likely to be on the market:

CC Sabathia 3.77 ERA for NYY (25 mil vesting option for 2017)

Matt Moore 4.46 ERA for Rays

Jake Odorizzi 4.47 ERA for Rays

Ervin Santanta 4.06 ERA for Twins

Ricky Nolasco 5.22 ERA for Twins

Matt Shoemaker 4.45 ERA for LAA

Hector Santiago 4.58 ERA for LAA

Rich Hill 2.25 ERA for A's

Sonny Gray 5.16 ERA for A's

Jeremy Hellickson 3.92 ERA for Phillies

Julio Teheran 2.96 ERA for Braves

Dan Straily 4.35 ERA for Reds

Jimmy Nelson 3.62 ERA for Brewers

Tyler Chatwood 3.08 ERA for Rockies

Drew Pomeranz 2.47 ERA for Padres

Gotta think one of these players will be an Oriole by July 31. I see Sonny Gray's name thrown around but it makes little sense that the A's would try to move him at this point considering their "sell high" organization philosophy. Of course, he could come out of the break pitching like an ace again and that could change things. I bolded the players who are under multiple years of team control and will likely cost a heavy return.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did indeed say that only 2 starters are on the market now and that 15 teams want starting pitching. He mentioned that more pitchers will be on the market as the deadline draws nearer. He signaled that he is very willing to trade prospects to try to win a pennant.

Honestly, the organization has a lot of good catching prospects, and there is no room for Trey Mancini in Baltimore with Chris Davis on a long-term contract. If the O's can get a capable mid-rotation starter for Trey Mancini and a catcher other than Chance Sisco, I'm all for it.

He did indeed say that only 2 starters are on the market now and that 15 teams want starting pitching. He mentioned that more pitchers will be on the market as the deadline draws nearer. He signaled that he is very willing to trade prospects to try to win a pennant.

Honestly, the organization has a lot of good catching prospects, and there is no room for Trey Mancini in Baltimore with Chris Davis on a long-term contract. If the O's can get a capable mid-rotation starter for Trey Mancini and a catcher other than Chance Sisco, I'm all for it.

I would be okay with that as well, but if we part with Mancini I really hope we get a guy back that has AT LEAST one year of team control after this season.

Unless we are getting back one of the guys who I bolded in my OP, I think Sisco needs to be off limits.

I can see it now. Trading Mancini and others, everyones happy. And then starts whining three years later when Mancini is one of the best young hitters in the game.

As long as the Orioles make and advance in the playoffs, I'm ok with that.

I can see it now. Trading Mancini and others, everyones happy. And then starts whining three years later when Mancini is one of the best young hitters in the game.

I like Mancini, think he could be a very solid player...but I don't think he's ever going to be one of the best hitters in the game or anything. He's a solid prospect and should be a very solid everday regular if he transitions well, but this is what has to happen when your in the playoff race. He's a 1B, and Davis is our long term answer there and signed long term. I'm not sure what you want us to do. Mancini as a DH is a hell of a lot less valuable. If we deal him for some #4/#5 starter that is expiring this year I'll be upset. But we need pitching, we're top in the ALE and have one of the best records in baseball. You can't upgrade your team by giving bad prospects.

I'm not all about prospect lists and such, but Mancini has produced for a while now and is barely a top 100 prospect by anyone. Numbers are great, but there has to be SOME reason for it. I mean BA JUST put out a top 100 and he didn't even make it while hitting what, .320 on the year with 17-18 HR's? There has to be a reason for it. Just because he isn't a top 100 guy doesn't mean he can't be a good player, but obviously they don't think he ends up being some top level player. Not that they are right, but I think we like Mancini as Orioles fans more than anyone else really does.

I'm not all about prospect lists and such, but Mancini has produced for a while now and is barely a top 100 prospect by anyone. Numbers are great, but there has to be SOME reason for it. I mean BA JUST put out a top 100 and he didn't even make it while hitting what, .320 on the year with 17-18 HR's? There has to be a reason for it. Just because he isn't a top 100 guy doesn't mean he can't be a good player, but obviously they don't think he ends up being some top level player. Not that they are right, but I think we like Mancini as Orioles fans more than anyone else really does.

Age, Pedigree. Not advancement.

From reading your posts, I would respond that you do seem to put a great deal of stock in prospect lists.

Archived