I still put my money on Mullins

Thats Baseball

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big fan - I think I was the only poster to put him in my top 10 O's prospects list. He's got the same kind of build as Betts, and with the success of shorter players like Betts and Altuve, his height shouldn't be held against him. The O's got great value for the 403rd pick in 2015!

He's got his OPS up to .756. He's steadily improved this season after a poor .597 April - .793 in May, .779 in June, and .847 so far in July. He's got much better pop in his bat than scouts gave him credit for: this season, he's got 19 doubles, 9 triples, and 8 homers. 22 steals and makes good on more than 75% of his attempts. I think he's the best CF prospect we've had in decades - certainly better than Avery was. And from all accounts I've read, he's an extremely likable guy who's easy to root for. It'd be great to see him get a promotion to Frederick by the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

22 doubles, 10 triples, and 8 dingers in 372 at bats. 30 W's and 73 SO's - nothing to get too concerned about. Just gotta raise that .253 batting average, imo. It'd be nice to see him get a promotion to Frederick before year end.

For a leadoff guy those numbers are impressive. Bating avg definitely needs to be north of .280. What crazy though is if he was a 3 or 4 hole guy we could live with the avg where it is with those numbers. Would like to see those walks go up. I think I could handle the avg if his k/bb ration was better.

Doesn't turn 22 till October. I always overlook him because I thought he was a little older than 21.

The triples are really helping out his slugging percentage. At the higher levels, with better defenses, those will be harder to come by. I'd say he and Grimes are probably the two most overlooked guys on here.

I'd agree. I saw someone post earlier maybe frederick before the season is over. With Stewart day to day it would be interesting to see what they do.

The thing I scratch my chin at is - He's hit as well as Stewart and plays a harder position while being a year younger. Why does Stewart get a promotion and Mullins doesn't? Granted, the O's have a ton more knowledge than I do and likely have good reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Mullins may want to consider stopping the switch hitting and batting left-handed full time. Last year in Aberdeen he slashed .181/.272/.278/.549 in 84 PAs and this year in Delmarva he's slashing .211/.271/.321/.592 in 119 PAs. He's hit quite well against righties so far in his career and I'd like to see him get sent to Frederick for the last month of the season to see how he makes the adjustments. When Zach Kapstein and TJ Olesczuk are getting time in the Keys outfield, there is room for Mullens to get his feet wet there.

• 4 weeks later...
2 singles, his 35th double, and his 12th homer tonight. Add in his 10 triples... his 57 XBH's are 6 more than Chris Davis. Time to see what he can do in Frederick, imo. Move Hayes up to take his spot?

With a week left in the minor league season? No point.

This guy has to be considered an org. top ten prospect. Half way through the minor league season it seemed we had no outfielders in the system with much upside.

Now we have three: Mullins, Hays, and Gassaway. Could be your Frederick outfield to start next season.

Archived