Yermin Mercedes

ChuckS

He was at .346 .401 .549 .950 before tonight when he hit THREE homeruns.

That OPS has to be around 1.000 now.

He's 23. Should have been promoted a long time ago. I think you can start him at Bowie next season, skipping Frederick all together.

Bat seems like it could play at other positions if catcher is not in the cards long term.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was at .346 .401 .549 .950 before tonight when he hit THREE homeruns.

That OPS has to be around 1.000 now.

He's 23. Should have been promoted a long time ago. I think you can start him at Bowie next season, skipping Frederick all together.

Bat seems like it could play at other positions if catcher is not in the cards long term.

His defense is what's keeping him in Sailsbury. He'll be in Frederick/Bowie once his defense improves

He's a pleasure to watch. Last year, it was very obvious he was swinging from his heels. This year, his swing is more effortless, reminding me of Crush Davis' swing. The ball pops off his bat. His second HR tonight was 384 ft. by Trackman. According to Brandan Gulick, the Voice of the Shorebirds, Mercedes is one of the hottest hitters in Minor League baseball right now. In 35 games - dating back to June 11 -- Mercedes has raised his batting average from .321 to .354. He has 13 multi-hit games in his last 24 contests. That includes 10 HR, 1 3B, 10 2B and 28 RBI in that 35 game stretch. He's leading the SAL in hitting at .354.

He's a pleasure to watch. Last year, it was very obvious he was swinging from his heels. This year, his swing is more effortless, reminding me of Crush Davis' swing. The ball pops off his bat. His second HR tonight was 384 ft. by Trackman. According to Brandan Gulick, the Voice of the Shorebirds, Mercedes is one of the hottest hitters in Minor League baseball right now. In 35 games - dating back to June 11 -- Mercedes has raised his batting average from .321 to .354. He has 13 multi-hit games in his last 24 contests. That includes 10 HR, 1 3B, 10 2B and 28 RBI in that 35 game stretch. He's leading the SAL in hitting at .354.

Thanks for the update!

His defense is what's keeping him in Sailsbury. He'll be in Frederick/Bowie once his defense improves

I don't understand this. He can work on his defense just as easily at a higher level. He needs to be facing better pitching.

The reasons he's not at a higher level right now are named Chance Sisco and Jonah Heim. That's all there is to it, really.

Chance could get promoted to Triple A and you could move Mercedes straight to Bowie. I anticipate that is what will happen next season with Heim repeating at Frederick.

Murphy to Frederick as well.

Chance could get promoted to Triple A and you could move Mercedes straight to Bowie. I anticipate that is what will happen next season with Heim repeating at Frederick.

Murphy to Frederick as well.

Might not be a good call to make decisions on Chance based on how a once-released defensively challenged 23 year old is doing in low A.

Might not be a good call to make decisions on Chance based on how a once-released defensively challenged 23 year old is doing in low A.

I don't think you will be stunting Chance's development by moving him to Triple A. He's been in the top five in the Eastern League in batting all season.

He could be in the mix next season for a spot with the big league club if Wieters isn't brought back. Wouldn't hurt to see how he fares against Triple A pitching. Just like Mercedes, he can work on his defense just as easily there as at a lower level.

Thinking it though, if he's 23 and still at Delmarva because of his defense, he's NEVER going to be good enough defensively at catcher to play in the bigs. Move him to another position! - even if it's DH. It's absurd to keep him in Delmarva at 23 unless they've totally given up on him ever playing for Baltimore. I think it's bad business - in general - to keep over-aged guys at such a low level.

There's no doubt that Mercedes can hit. However, his best value to the Orioles is as a trade chip. I don't see him advancing much in our system.

Well, a 23 year old hitting at Double A is a more valuable trade chip than one putting up numbers at low A ball.

Archived