We have had discussions with MIN re: Santana and Abad

Sir_Loin

We have had discussions with Rob Anthony and the Twins as recently as today regarding a deal that would send Ervin Santana and Fernando Abad to Baltimore for a package that would include about 3 prospects. No more details to share right now, I will keep you posted. We were at Hellickson's start, we had a scout in Toronto tonight, and we spoke to LAA about Santiago today (who we almost had a deal done for in February, but it fell apart). We are in on every pitcher out there. Trying to improve our club in any way that we can. I will get back to you all if something of more substance transpires.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have had discussions with Rob Anthony and the Twins as recently as today regarding a deal that would send Ervin Santana and Fernando Abad to Baltimore for a package that would include about 3 prospects. No more details to share right now, I will keep you posted. We were at Hellickson's start, we had a scout in Toronto tonight, and we spoke to LAA about Santiago today (who we almost had a deal done for in February, but it fell apart). We are in on every pitcher out there. Trying to improve our club in any way that we can. I will get back to you all if something of more substance transpires.

Thanks for the update. Wonder how good the 3 prospects would be?

I don't like the idea of getting Santana. He's not a rental. He makes 13.5 million a year through 2018 with a 1 million buyout for 2019.

That's a lot of future money owed. Twins would have to eat money or take Ubaldo back for this to make sense.

I like the idea of getting a rental better.

I don't like the idea of getting Santana. He's not a rental. He makes 13.5 million a year through 2018 with a 1 million buyout for 2019.

That's a lot of future money owed. Twins would have to eat money or take Ubaldo back for this to make sense.

I like the idea of getting a rental better.

I doubt we'd take on all of Ervin's contract. He has also been a pretty solid starter. Pending on price for the rential I'd be fine with it, but we're going to need pitching next year then and Ervin's contract is halfway decent for what he brings. SP's are expensive.

I'm curious too.

Ervin is a bit expensive, but he's showing that he's worth it right now. Great start again tonight. He'd be a nice boost.

You can't get a guy of Ervin's caliber on the free agent market this year for the deal Ervin has currently: 2 years, $27MM with a 3rd year club option. He's certainly valuable for that reason.

With regards to prospects, we haven't thrown out specific names yet, as we are still exploring the deal. If it is complete, we are imagining it taking a high prospect followed by two other mid level guys. Again, will update if something transpires.

You can't get a guy of Ervin's caliber on the free agent market this year for the deal Ervin has currently: 2 years, $27MM with a 3rd year club option. He's certainly valuable for that reason.

Which makes me curious if some other teams wont jump in like happened with San Diego.

With regards to prospects, we haven't thrown out specific names yet, as we are still exploring the deal. If it is complete, we are imagining it taking a high prospect followed by two other mid level guys. Again, will update if something transpires.

Agreed, for a veteran SP on a normal contract it's very reasonable. Gallardo who is worse we just signed for close to similar per year, and would have done more if we didn't flag his shoulder and get his asking price down.

If Angelos turned down deal because we didn't want to take on 3.5M while moving Ubaldo though, why would we now take on 13.5M?

Agreed, for a veteran SP on a normal contract it's very reasonable. Gallardo who is worse we just signed for close to similar per year, and would have done more if we didn't flag his shoulder and get his asking price down.

If Angelos turned down deal because we didn't want to take on 3.5M while moving Ubaldo though, why would we now take on 13.5M?

Yeah, I agree. I don't see how Angelos nixed a deal over 5 million and then we'd turn around and make a trade for a guy that's owed 2/28 million, plus the rest of this year's salary.

I do buy into the idea that 2/28 million is actually a pretty good deal for a sub 4 ERA SP. But I don't think we need to worry about the future rotation. Especially with Worley still being arb eligible for 2 years and Bundy being able to throw more innings.

Santana & Abad would be a nice get for the O's, but I'd imagine we'd have to give up a lot to get them both. Santana would give us a very solid innings eater who will keep us in most games and give us at least 6 or 7 innings every time out. He has been very strong in July, and we know the O's have had interest in him for years. Abad would give us a solid lefty matchup reliever who is having a good year.

I'm not sure what it would take to get them both, but I'm guessing Sisco, Mancini, Tanner Scott and probably one other high ceiling pitcher like Peralta would have to be included in the deal, unless we are willing to take on Santana's entire remaining salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived