Could Somebody tell Me Why MLB Bothers to Have Play Reviews & Challenges?

MagicBird

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That may be, but the horrendous misses are inexcusable.

How they missed the HR, and even worse the play at 1st base is inexcusable. And they remain in the shadows too, I mean do they list who the officials in NY are?

They have corrected many, many bad calls. They could correct more. It's not perfect but it's better than what we had before.

I prefer no replay. It slows the game down and they are often wrong. I also like it when an umpire makes a call it is final.

I prefer no replay. It slows the game down and they are often wrong. I also like it when an umpire makes a call it is final.

We have benefited from some overturned calls this year and they should have been overturned. But the 2 tonight were awful. Simply no excuse. They were worse than the Dez Bryant catch in the GB playoff game that Blindino overturned and has been trying to justify for almost 2 years.

Replay isnt the problem. Its the idiots that cant get the obvious correct that are the problem.

We have benefited from some overturned calls this year and they should have been overturned. But the 2 tonight were awful. Simply no excuse. They were worse than the Dez Bryant catch in the GB playoff game that Blindino overturned and has been trying to justify for almost 2 years.

Replay isnt the problem. Its the idiots that cant get the obvious correct that are the problem.

I think it is more the fundamental limitations of replay than it is the failings of the video umps. Last year, less than half of challenged plays were overturned. So in the majority of cases two groups of people looking at high resolution video of the same play came to diametrically opposite conclusions. For the sake of those other cases, we have to wait out every close and exciting play for the NY umps to weigh in, or for a team's video folks to decide that a challenge isn't worth it. Maybe the tradeoff makes sense in the playoffs where a few individual games and even plays weigh so large. But, for me, I would much rather wait out managers and players futilely arguing with umps than to press pause on every other exciting play.

How they missed the HR' date=' and even worse the play at 1st base is inexcusable. And they remain in the shadows too, I mean do they list who the officials in NY are?[/quote']They are umpires to and just as fallible, Could be tonight's NY crew was Joe West, Laz Diaz, CB and the Angel.

The MLB like the NFL needs to change the standard on these replays from absolute certainty to whatever appears to be likely the right call.

If you want to get it right, get it right more often.

They need to take the politics out of it as well. They shouldn't have umpires evaluating other umpires calls.

It is a true shame that our great game has been infected with instant replay. The sight of umpires grouped together with their headsets on. The delay in the game. The not knowing if what you just witnessed and cheered for will hold up. It's all not worth it. Go away replay! Game was better without it.

It is a true shame that our great game has been infected with instant replay. The sight of umpires grouped together with their headsets on. The delay in the game. The not knowing if what you just witnessed and cheered for will hold up. It's all not worth it. Go away replay! Game was better without it.

Yea, it was much better when an ump missed a call and Lou Piniella or somebody would scream and throw stuff and get tossed and delay the game for 10 minutes and then 100% of those calls were still wrong and everyone with a TV knew it and nobody could do a thing about it.

Ah, the good ol' days. Why can't they come back? Along with cholera.

Yea, it was much better when an ump missed a call and Lou Piniella or somebody would scream and throw stuff and get tossed and delay the game for 10 minutes and then 100% of those calls were still wrong and everyone with a TV knew it and nobody could do a thing about it.

Ah, the good ol' days. Why can't they come back? Along with cholera.

You have to admit, Earl Weaver's tirades were more entertaining than watching a bunch of umps standing around with headphones on.

Archived