New MLB Top 100 Prospect List-No Orioles, Sisco snubbed

sportsfan8703

Here's the new top 100 list that was just updated.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=prospects

He's the new Top 30 for the O's

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=bal

Sisco does make their list as the 7th best C

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=c

Notables:

Hader # 45 overall and the ranked as the 4th best LH P overall

Jean Cosme is no longer ranked in SD's top 30

Steven Brault 18th Pitt

Stephen Tarpley 20th Pitt

Nick Delmonico 27th CWS

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the new top 100 list that was just updated.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=prospects

He's the new Top 30 for the O's

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=bal

Sisco does make their list as the 7th best C

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=c

Notables:

Hader # 45 overall and the ranked as the 4th best LH P overall

Jean Cosme is no longer ranked in SD's top 30

Steven Brault 18th Pitt

Stephen Tarpley 20th Pitt

Nick Delmonico 27th CWS

What does it say when your top draft pick is your top prospect?

Maybe that no one on the farm is worth a first round pick?

(In their opinion)

What does it say when your top draft pick is your top prospect?

Maybe that no one on the farm is worth a first round pick?

(In their opinion)

Not only that, but six 2016 draft picks in the top 21.

Sedlock 1

Dietz 7

Akin 8

Hays 15

Hanifee 19

PALMEIRO 21

No Meisenger, Peluffo, Connaughton(finally).

If you look at the top C's list, I don't see how you have Sisco 7th. Look at the other guy's stats. It's all about being a 1st rd pick or big Int'l signing bonus guy.

Harvey's new ETA is 2019, same as Sedlock's.

How in the world Palmeiro made their list as a 7th round draft pick without a professional AB is beyond me. Peluffo is definitely missing and Meisinger and Ruben Garcia probably would be over several guys on my list just at first glance.

How in the world Palmeiro made their list as a 7th round draft pick without a professional AB is beyond me. Peluffo is definitely missing and Meisinger and Ruben Garcia probably would be over several guys on my list just at first glance.

Maybe we just had a really awesome 2016 draft? lol

Meisenger was on the list before the newest update. I don't know what he did to come off it. Apparently being drafted in 2015 instead of 2016.

One positive from the list is that we get some new scouting reports on guys. Like Wells, Hanifee, Akin, Dietz, Hays, Sedlock and Palmeiro.

A few Orioles tie in there:

Blake Rutherford was selected in what should have been the Orioles #12 overall pick that they lost by signing Gallardo.

Jeff Hoffman was mentioned as one of the names that Toronto was considering giving up to land Dan Duquette.

Josh Hader was traded

Boston (5), Yankees (5), Tampa Bay (4) and Toronto (2) top prospects should be fun for the Orioles in the future.

Maybe we just had a really awesome 2016 draft? lol

Meisenger was on the list before the newest update. I don't know what he did to come off it. Apparently being drafted in 2015 instead of 2016.

One positive from the list is that we get some new scouting reports on guys. Like Wells, Hanifee, Akin, Dietz, Hays, Sedlock and Palmeiro.

It seems to me that some of these list makers prefer players who are recently drafted and have not had a chance to show their warts in pro ball to players not so recently drafted.

Not only that, but six 2016 draft picks in the top 21.

Sedlock 1

Dietz 7

Akin 8

Hays 15

Hanifee 19

PALMEIRO 21

No Meisenger, Peluffo, Connaughton(finally).

If you look at the top C's list, I don't see how you have Sisco 7th. Look at the other guy's stats. It's all about being a 1st rd pick or big Int'l signing bonus guy.

Harvey's new ETA is 2019, same as Sedlock's.

After looking over the top 100 and seeing some of the choices and no Sisco just makes me laugh. I get the defense is still a think but the guy just flat out hits. There is going to be a lot of guys come off that list for the off season one so maybe Sisco get in there finally.

How is Peralta considered our 14th best prospect? I know it can't be all stats and scouts rank guys on what they see, but the Red Sox just trade Anderson Espinoza for Drew Pomeranz. They rank him #21 overall. In the same league, Peralta's ERA is a run better, his BA against is 50 points lower and he has a similar K-rate. Peralta is also 5-inches taller, leading to theoretically better projection and stamina. How is Espinoza THAT much better than Peralta? He may be a year older, but I don't see how it can make that much of a difference.

Some here consider Peralta potentially our best prospect. What is the difference here?

How is Peralta considered our 14th best prospect? I know it can't be all stats and scouts rank guys on what they see, but the Red Sox just trade Anderson Espinoza for Drew Pomeranz. They rank him #21 overall. In the same league, Peralta's ERA is a run better, his BA against is 50 points lower and he has a similar K-rate. Peralta is also 5-inches taller, leading to theoretically better projection and stamina. How is Espinoza THAT much better than Peralta? He may be a year older, but I don't see how it can make that much of a difference.

Some here consider Peralta potentially best prospect. What is the difference here?

The difference is that he was a Red Sox prospect. All Red Sox prospects get a bump merely by playing in the Red Sox org.

Pretty lazy list. Just plugging in draft picks randomly. Peralta is way too low.

I would like to see where some of these catchers ranked ahead of Sisco stack up offensively and defensively. I find it hard to believe that Sisco is only the seventh best catcher in minor league baseball. Just looking at the numbers and scouting reports it seems like he should be ahead of Collins and McGuire.

Why is Preston Palmeiro even ranked? Is it because his name is Palmeiro?

Some here consider Peralta potentially best prospect. What is the difference here?

These lists are someone's opinion. They have a lot of the names right, but the order is somewhat interesting if you ask me. Not everyone has the same criteria for putting prospects in an order. I've always gone by, which prospect would you rather have in your system. If it's prospect A, then he must be higher than the rest. At the end of the day, they don't really mean much other than they are fun and it allows fans to have an idea who the prospects are in the system.

Players like Mark Trumbo, Darren O'day and Brad Brach were never on any top 100 lists yet they all became All-Stars.

Most of these publications have to come up with lists and they don't have the time to really dig in and talk to every organization along with scouts inside and outside the organizations. So they go by draft selections, bonuses, and other lists.

It really takes a lot of analysis to get these lists close, and even then, there can be big misses because of the volatility of prospects making the jump to the major leagues. Honestly, you can not be sure 100% that a player is going to be successful in the major league until he gets there.

Some here consider Peralta potentially our best prospect. What is the difference here?

The difference between Espinoza and Peralta? Espinoza got a $1.8 million signing bonus with another $200,000K for college while Peralta is a 325K guy. Espinoza is a year younger than Peralta, has better overall command and his breaking stuff is better. Saying that, besides the fact Peralta walks almost 2 batters more per 9 innings, his numbers are as good of better than Espinoza. It's a good reason why Peralta is one of the highest celing prospects they have in the system, but also one with extreme volatility.

I watched Espinoza up close a few days ago -- he's a beast. could have three double-plus offerings when all is said and done (FB/CH/CB). The FB and CH were both plus pitches on Monday evening; CB flashed once or twice -- huge bite and big depth. Peralta's secondaries are probably 1.5 to 2 grades below Espinoza's at this point. ALso, crazy athletic. If he can handle the workload he's going to be a MFer. Like, Cy Young contender kinda MFer.

Archived