Alvarez is hot, Mancini is not

Frobby

As September call-ups approach, Dariel Alvarez has gotten hot at the right time, hitting .373 over his last 16 games to raise his overall average to .295. Of course, his overall OPS is only .722 and his ISO is way down this year.

Meanwhile, Trey Manicini has been slumping, with a .512 OPS in his last 11 games, lowering his AAA OPS to .794, after being over .800 for most of the time the last two months. Hopefully he can pick it up over the final two weeks of the MiL season.

Alvarez should take Reimold's role once rosters expand. Depending on how the offseason goes he should be the 5th OF next year.

With Pearce here, I don't really see a spot for Mancini to get AB's this season. But just like D.Alvarez he is penciled in to next years team. DH.

Both of these guys should benefit from hitting outside of Harbor Park in Norfolk.

• 4 weeks later...

As September call-ups approach, Dariel Alvarez has gotten hot at the right time, hitting .373 over his last 16 games to raise his overall average to .295. Of course, his overall OPS is only .722 and his ISO is way down this year.

Meanwhile, Trey Manicini has been slumping, with a .512 OPS in his last 11 games, lowering his AAA OPS to .794 after being over .800 for most of the time the last two months. Hopefully he can pick it up over the final two weeks of the MiL season.

o

(SEPTEMBER 20th)

Since/after this thread was started, Mancini went a modest 14-for-56 (.250 batting average) with a .311 OBP, 4 doubles, and 0 home runs to close out the AAA season.

He was promoted to the Orioles on Sunday, and he will make his career MLB debut tonight against the Red Sox.

o

(SEPTEMBER 20th)

Since/after this thread was started, Mancini went a modest 14-for-56 (.250 batting average) with a .311 OBP, 4 doubles, and 0 home runs to close out the AAA season.

He was promoted to the Orioles on Sunday, and he will make his career MLB debut tonight against the Red Sox.

He then hits a home run as his first major league hit...Simple enough.

Meanwhile, Trey Manicini has been slumping, with a .512 OPS in his last 11 games, lowering his AAA OPS to .794 after being over .800 for most of the time the last two months. Hopefully he can pick it up over the final two weeks of the MiL season.

o

(SEPTEMBER 20th)

o

Mancini went 1-for 3 in his career MLB debut, including a solo home run that got the Orioles on the board while simultaneously breaking up Eduardo Rodriguez' no-hitter in the bottom of the 5th inning.

Back to Dariel Alvarez - he's going to Venezuela to - er - play outfield and not pitch...

* Triple-A Norfolk outfielder Dariel Alvarez is going to play winter ball in Venezuela.

As a hitter?

?I think so,? Showalter said. ?That?s what they wanted, so he?s going.?

If that sounded like a dumb question, there are people in the organization who are intrigued by the idea of Alvarez and his plus-arm converting to pitcher.

?I saw Dariel throw on the side the other day. A tape of him throwing on the side to a catcher. Pretty impressive. We?ve got some decisions to make there,? Showalter said.

?What?s tough is a guy like him, we talked about him maybe being able to do both and decide what he?s going to do, but then he?s going to get paid $20,000-$25,000 a month to go play in Venezuela and he?ll get to see his family in Venezuela, so how do you say, ?You can?t go, you?ve got to stay in the instructional league and maybe do some pitching?? Either you figure out a way to pay him $20-something thousand dollars to go to instructional league per month and get his family into the country. That?s about the only way you could do it. So, he?s going to Venezuela.?

As a hitter.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/09/this-that-and-the-other-123.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Back to Dariel Alvarez - he's going to Venezuela to - er - play outfield and not pitch...

* Triple-A Norfolk outfielder Dariel Alvarez is going to play winter ball in Venezuela.

As a hitter?

If that sounded like a dumb question, there are people in the organization who are intrigued by the idea of Alvarez and his plus-arm converting to pitcher.

?I saw Dariel throw on the side the other day. A tape of him throwing on the side to a catcher. Pretty impressive. We?ve got some decisions to make there,? Showalter said.

?What?s tough is a guy like him, we talked about him maybe being able to do both and decide what he?s going to do, but then he?s going to get paid $20,000-$25,000 a month to go play in Venezuela and he?ll get to see his family in Venezuela, so how do you say, ?You can?t go, you?ve got to stay in the instructional league and maybe do some pitching?? Either you figure out a way to pay him $20-something thousand dollars to go to instructional league per month and get his family into the country. That?s about the only way you could do it. So, he?s going to Venezuela.?

As a hitter.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/09/this-that-and-the-other-123.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

He is almost 28. Even if he converts to a pitcher it is a long shot he ever makes it to the big leagues. What difference does a few months make?

He is almost 28. Even if he converts to a pitcher it is a long shot he ever makes it to the big leagues. What difference does a few months make?

Haha - on another "side note", Eddie Gamboa took the loss yesterday for the Rays vs. the Bosox so can we close the final chapter in that book also? :slytf:

As a hitter?

As a hitter.

How about trying him as Brooks Keischnick? Remember in 2003-04 when the Brewers used him alternately as a reliever, pinch hitter, and occasional outfielder? Buck would have to get creative, but Alvarez could pitch mopup games, play late inning defense in the OF, get the occasional start in RF.

How about trying him as Brooks Keischnick? Remember in 2003-04 when the Brewers used him alternately as a reliever, pinch hitter, and occasional outfielder? Buck would have to get creative, but Alvarez could pitch mopup games, play late inning defense in the OF, get the occasional start in RF.

Sounds like a "Buck guy" in the making - nugget? He could also bunt for Hyun Soo Kim. :slytf:

So this answered the question I was about to ask. "Why isn't Alvarez up here right now?". He has to be better than Stubbs. Some have even speculated that he rubbed Buck the wrong way when he was up with the O's briefly this season. Sounds like just the opposite.

With the uncertainty with the future COF, I'd like to see him give hitting one more year. A platoon RH with a plus arm, that can play CF, has value.

So this answered the question I was about to ask. "Why isn't Alvarez up here right now?". He has to be better than Stubbs. Some have even speculated that he rubbed Buck the wrong way when he was up with the O's briefly this season. Sounds like just the opposite.

With the uncertainty with the future COF, I'd like to see him give hitting one more year. A platoon RH with a plus arm, that can play CF, has value.

He has 1284 AAA plate appearances with a slash line of .285/.317/.409 and he's 28. Even if you run with the assumption that Harbor Park is a dismal place to hit it's hard to see him as much more than a corner OFer with a .700 OPS. As the short side of a platoon you might get .750 out of him in 200 PAs.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there any chance that Mancini can turn into a passable LFer over the offseason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Davis aside teams generally put players at the most challenging position they think they have a chance at mastering.

Additionally he has zero time in the OF as a minor leaguer.

He also, to the best of my knowledge, isn't playing anywhere this offseason.

I think that after signing Davis to that contract they would have tried Mancini in the outfield this spring if they had any confidence he could master it.

Archived