Juan Bell died at age 48

Why Not?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Acquired before the 1989 season for Eddie Murray. Bell played SS throughout spring training that year, with Cal moving to 3B.

I didn't remember that. I remember him not that. Didn't realize they had moved Cal. I thought I remember him at second base. I know he was a SS.

The Baltimore Orioles sent Juan Bell to the minor leagues yesterday and moved Cal Ripken Jr. back to shortstop.

Ripken, who had been shifted to third base to make room for the 20-year-old rookie, will start the season at his regular position. Craig Worthington will open at third.

http://articles.philly.com/1989-03-21/sports/26128164_1_front-office-orioles-cal-ripken

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-05-13/sports/sp-2772_1_bad-rap-juan-bell-ken-howell

I didn't remember that. I remember him not that. Didn't realize they had moved Cal. I thought I remember him at second base. I know he was a SS.

I think the 1989 Juan Bell plan was the first time the team tried to move Cal from SS in favor of the stereotypical small speedy model.

Davey Johnson tried it again in the middle of the 1996 season, starting Manny Alexander at SS for about week in July. That was a disaster. Cal finally moved to 3B when the Orioles signed Mike Bordick that offseason.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> INF Juan Bell, acquired from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dodgers?src=hash">#Dodgers</a> in the Eddie Murray trade died Wed. at 46 in the DR. due to kidney failure.</p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

">August 25, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What a terrible trade that was for sure.

Oy. Bell was a washout.

Brian Holton spent 1989 and 1990 pitching (badly) for Baltimore then he was out of the majors.

Ken Howell was immediately traded for Phil Bradley. Bradley was a key player in Baltimore's surprising 1989 season then was traded in 1990 for Ron Kittle. Bradley and Kittle were both out of the majors within 18 months of the trade.

Alas, the relationship with Murray was pretty well poisoned by then. He had wanted out of Baltimore for two years.

Oy. Bell was a washout.

Brian Holton spent 1989 and 1990 pitching (badly) for Baltimore then he was out of the majors.

Ken Howell was immediately traded for Phil Bradley. Bradley was a key player in Baltimore's surprising 1989 season then was traded in 1990 for Ron Kittle. Bradley and Kittle were both out of the majors within 18 months of the trade.

Alas, the relationship with Murray was pretty well poisoned by then. He had wanted out of Baltimore for two years.

Agreed, it was disturbing how the media treated him, and some of the fans.

Eddie was an amazing player that some thought wasn't hustling, but he ran, he didn't look like he was putting any effort to it, but he really was moving and effortless.

Agreed, it was disturbing how the media treated him, and some of the fans.

Eddie was an amazing player that some thought wasn't hustling, but he ran, he didn't look like he was putting any effort to it, but he really was moving and effortless.

That was a two-way street.

Murray had some (apparently) untrue things written about him during the 1979 World Series. After that, he became uber-sensitive to any critique from the press and basically shut down communication. He should have been bigger, more adult than that. Murray crapped all over reporters who he had never met and had never written a word about him. It went beyond surly to downright mean.

That was a two-way street.

Murray had some (apparently) untrue things written about him during the 1979 World Series. After that, he became uber-sensitive to any critique from the press and basically shut down communication. He should have been bigger, more adult than that. Murray crapped all over reporters who he had never met and had never written a word about him. It went beyond surly to downright mean.

Good point and I can't disagree.

Archived