Could we sign Wieters back for something like 3/35? Should we?

FanSince88

With Joseph now a question mark as to whether he's capable of producing anymore and Sisco unproven defensively (and offensively at the MLB level for that matter), plus the fact that we traded away our best defensive minor league catcher, it's starting to seem like a deal to bring Wieters back might not be such a bad idea. It seems like they won't offer him a QO. Which I do understand on some level, though I wouldn't be opposed to a QO for Wieters at all. Is there a chance we can get him back for 3/35? I would prefer to to have a 3 year or less deal if we can help it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters has put up 0.1 WAR this year. So, yes we could, no we shouldn't.

Shows that WAR isn't the only stat to look at Wieters has 51 RBis this year and his back up has zero. He is near the top of American leagues catchers in RBIs. Runs wins games. .

Eh. It's risky. I don't think I would do it. The problem with Matt is that if he can't catch, then there is very little value because his bat doesn't play at 1B or DH. I would probably do something like 2/20 with an option, but he'll get a much better offer than that.

Shows that WAR isn't the only stat to look at Wieters has 51 RBis this year and his back up has zero. He is near the top of American leagues catchers in RBIs. Runs wins games. .

Part of that is because Buck runs him out there every day. If CJ stinks, so be it. There are other replacement level guys out there that don't cost $30M and I would not want Wieters to block Sisco.

Eh. It's risky. I don't think I would do it. The problem with Matt is that if he can't catch, then there is very little value because his bat doesn't play at 1B or DH. I would probably do something like 2/20 with an option, but he'll get a much better offer than that.

I'd do 2/22. But that's a good point. I think he'll get a good deal somewhere else.

plus the fact that we traded away our best defensive minor league catcher

I wouldn't say that. Austin Wynns is probably the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues for the Orioles, even before Heim was traded.

Sisco behind Pena probably to start the season, unless Joseph really shows something good.

I'll put it simply: We are an aging expensive team and our best offensive prospect is a catcher and nearly major league ready. Matt will be 31 next year.

You keep resigning your own players on the wrong side of 30 and you turn into the Phillies. Maybe you can sign Matt to 3/35, but I'll take the guy that will be making 500 K over the next three years and very possibly be just as good.

Few understand the value of a good catcher. I don't think the metrics begin to capture it. How well does he implement the game plan that day, given what his SP has that day, and how well does he read the bats and make adjustments. How well does he know his pitchers and their psychology, and how well does he manage them. What kind of in game pitching coach is he? Is he a team leader? I wouldn't be surprised if Wieters is back next year.

I wouldn't say that. Austin Wynns is probably the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues for the Orioles, even before Heim was traded.

Sisco behind Pena probably to start the season, unless Joseph really shows something good.

I don't know about relying on Pena as the starter. I like him a lot but I'd rather see the team get a cheaper FA vet. Pena backup and learning.

Archived