The "What's Going on in this Baseball Picture" Thread

DrungoHazewood

I got this idea looking up some random fact about the 1906 World Series last night.

Look at this picture:

West_Side_Park_1906_World_Series.JPG

You can make any number of observations here. Infield is in. Lefty pitching to lefty batter. Bases loaded and the runners are waaaaaaaaaay off their bases compared to where they'd be today. It's Jack Pfeister pitching, which you can tell from wiki, but I figured out from the details in the photo and the box score from bb-ref. Didn't take too long to determine it was the top of the 6th in Game 3, probably Fielder Jones at bat before he pops out to the catcher.

So what I'd like this thread to be is someone posts a random picture of a baseball game and we figure out what's going on. Who's in?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

I'll start with my first memory ever of the Orioles, when I was a 6 year-old boy in 1st grade.

Pirates - O's by the uniform. Frank, so it's obviously pre-interleague which strongly suggests the 1971 World Series. Only run Frank scored in game 1 was on a homer, so no. Maybe bottom of the 2nd in game two, scoring on Brooks' single to CF?

Pirates - O's by the uniform. Frank, so it's obviously pre-interleague which strongly suggests the 1971 World Series. Only run Frank scored in game 1 was on a homer, so no. Maybe bottom of the 2nd in game two, scoring on Brooks' single to CF?

Very close.

Game 6. The winning run, scored on a walk-off, sacrifice fly.

That the game where Johnson kills the bird?

My first thought, too. Hmmm... low-def, so it has to be pre-2006ish. Looks like the Tigers, and according to the HOF uniform database looks like what they wore on the road up through 1991. Can't tell what the logo is behind the plate, maybe postseason, maybe All Star? Astroturf... Kingdome?

So, maybe a Johnson appearance with the Mariners in the 1989-1991 timeframe. I'm going to guess that's Mike Heath striking out swinging to end Johnson's no hitter here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I moving Tony or letting him walk and replacing him with Kjerstad opens up the financial flexibility to extend some of our core (or Burns) or acquire a top SP in FA / trade deadline salary dump, then I'm all for making that swap.
    • Let's be honest, there is only so long you can have success with a 91.6 MPH sinker at the major league level. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop on Tate because the stuff is just not very good. Sure, he has good movement on the sinker, but he has to have pinpoint control because if not, last night is going to happen. With an option, Tate is the guy that is going to go when the Orioles need to make a move.  Of course besides activating Bradish or Means, there's not a lot of Norfolk relievers banging down the door.  We knew going into this season the Orioles were short in the pen, especially at the tail end, but with Tate and Baumann having struggles, they are getting short on guys you can count on in the middle innings.  At least Baumann will flash you stuff. Tate on the other hand looks like a dime a dozen AAA sinker-sweeper reliever.
    • You can’t possibly still believe that his ABs are still “awesome” can you? You’re just in denial of his struggles, if so. Not to mention, basically every fielding play he makes becomes a close play at first. You can laugh at the comments but why don’t you tell the board why he’s looked so good in your eyes. 
    • Burnes, Adley, Gunnar this off-season in order of free agency.
    • I do think it would send a positive message to the clubhouse to extend a player or 2 if the FO thinks it makes sense (and I’m sure they probably do for a Henderson and Holliday). Given that Houston has done so historically, I think they would like to do that here. I do think it shows commitment for whatever that’s worth. I remember last year that Adam Frazier did an interview on (I believe) the Foul Territory pod (might have been a different one) where he mentioned that the players were very aware of JA saying that the organization couldn’t afford to sign players to 9 figure extensions. I am sure they would prefer not to just feel like mercenaries. Regardless, I wasn’t trying to get this thread off track and appreciate the response.
    • I know there are a lot of people, that rightfully so, are saying to give him time, and I agree to a certain extent. But the one thing that has to be recognized is how badly Holliday is being dominated by major league pitching right now. He's whiffing way too much. He's not having competitive at bats. When he does make contact he's hitting the ball way too much on the ground, which was something I mentioned about him as he was coming up through the minors.  Now it's been 8 games, and I have no concerns that he won't one day be an amazing player, but he's getting into historic levels of futility to start off a major league career. It's clear, what worked for him at the minor league level is not working for him against major league pitching. Whether it's the leg kick or the fact that his head is all messed up at the plate currently, it's definitely an issue.  If he was controlling the strike zone and making good swing decisions then ok, but at some point he's got to produce up here or he needs to be sent back down before he hits those historic numbers. I still think the target date is the May 1st area, if he's not making more contact and starting to make more solid contact, then I think he needs to go back to AAA. This isn't a rushed judgement, but rather you can't keep running a young kid or really any player out there for too long when they are not having competitive PAs.  This is the big leagues, and while it's fine to take some lumps, just like the many players mentioned in this thread who started off poorly, but those lumps can't continue to be absolute domination. 
    • Sure, many of the same people thought Kimbrel would be a big part of that problem. 24 hours ago, our bullpen could use a couple of key upgrades.   After a terrible bullpen night now we have a bullpen with “big problems”.    
  • Popular Contributors