The "What's Going on in this Baseball Picture" Thread

DrungoHazewood

I got this idea looking up some random fact about the 1906 World Series last night.

Look at this picture:

West_Side_Park_1906_World_Series.JPG

You can make any number of observations here. Infield is in. Lefty pitching to lefty batter. Bases loaded and the runners are waaaaaaaaaay off their bases compared to where they'd be today. It's Jack Pfeister pitching, which you can tell from wiki, but I figured out from the details in the photo and the box score from bb-ref. Didn't take too long to determine it was the top of the 6th in Game 3, probably Fielder Jones at bat before he pops out to the catcher.

So what I'd like this thread to be is someone posts a random picture of a baseball game and we figure out what's going on. Who's in?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

I'll start with my first memory ever of the Orioles, when I was a 6 year-old boy in 1st grade.

Pirates - O's by the uniform. Frank, so it's obviously pre-interleague which strongly suggests the 1971 World Series. Only run Frank scored in game 1 was on a homer, so no. Maybe bottom of the 2nd in game two, scoring on Brooks' single to CF?

Pirates - O's by the uniform. Frank, so it's obviously pre-interleague which strongly suggests the 1971 World Series. Only run Frank scored in game 1 was on a homer, so no. Maybe bottom of the 2nd in game two, scoring on Brooks' single to CF?

Very close.

Game 6. The winning run, scored on a walk-off, sacrifice fly.

That the game where Johnson kills the bird?

My first thought, too. Hmmm... low-def, so it has to be pre-2006ish. Looks like the Tigers, and according to the HOF uniform database looks like what they wore on the road up through 1991. Can't tell what the logo is behind the plate, maybe postseason, maybe All Star? Astroturf... Kingdome?

So, maybe a Johnson appearance with the Mariners in the 1989-1991 timeframe. I'm going to guess that's Mike Heath striking out swinging to end Johnson's no hitter here.

Archived