Offseason target: Josh Reddick?

Frobby

Josh Reddick strikes me as one of those hitters who would flourish playing in Camden Yards and the other AL East stadiums. He's only had two seasons over 20 homers (including 32 in 2012), but I'd bet he'd hit close to 30 in an Orioles uniform if we could keep him healthy. He'd also be a defensive upgrade for us. I'd like to see us explore him this offseason.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Josh Reddick strikes me as one of those hitters who would flourish playing in Camden Yards and the other AL East stadiums. He's only had two seasons over 20 homers (including 32 in 2012), but I'd bet he'd hit close to 30 in an Orioles uniform if we could keep him healthy. He'd also be a defensive upgrade for us. I'd like to see us explore him this offseason.

Maybe they will Frobby.

His injury history is a bit of a concern though. His OPS+ numbers look good but his OBP is I guess average. I do think an OF with him and Jones and our platoon in LF would be an upgrade.

I'd beware of a player who's about to turn 30, has had injury issues and just had the worst year of his career. He might have a bounce back season, but the odds are not good with age, health and performance all going the wrong way.

Reddick will be 30 in February and as a FA he will be expensive. Not what the O's need IMO. They need to add young cheap, talented players and RF is one of few places they can make that kind of addition. JMO.

Just curious as to who you think a good target could be for the O's? Do we trade Britton or Tillman to get that guy? Teams are not usually willing, especially with the escalation of salaries, to give away young, productive players.

Reddick will be 30 in February and as a FA he will be expensive. Not what the O's need IMO. They need to add young cheap, talented players and RF is one of few places they can make that kind of addition. JMO.

I don't think he would be that expensive, which is kind of my point. I'm thinking you could get him on a 1-2 year deal for less than $10 mm/yr. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

How are we going to add a young, cheap RF? By trading someone?

Who do you have in mind? None like that are FA next year and who are you trading?

I don't think he would be that expensive, which is kind of my point. I'm thinking you could get him on a 1-2 year deal for less than $10 mm/yr. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

He'll get more than that IMO, he's the best of a poor OF market. Excepting Cespedis and Bautista.

I'd bet he's closer to 3/36

I'd bet he's closer to 3/36

Possible. I haven't done a close examination of the 2016-17 FA class. The reason I think it may be less is that Reddick has been pretty fragile over the years, only exceeding 115 games twice. It's risky to give a guy like that a lot of years.

Archived