Padres fined, Preller Suspended for keping two separate medical records for each player

xian4

Interesting read, they were reporting all DL injuries but hiding treatment for ongoing injuries and preventative measures.

http://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/story/_/id/17554327/san-diego-padres-face-discipline-hiding-players-medical-information-mlb-database

30 Days Without Pay. Preller's done. No one will work with him now that he did this.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/cd700c6d-97a1-328d-ab83-87c550e314f8/ss_padres-gm-a.j.-preller.html

30 Days Without Pay. Preller's done. No one will work with him now that he did this.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/cd700c6d

Meh, whatever happened to "let the buyer beware?" The Orioles conduct pre-contract medicals and actually act upon them if something contained in their results is amiss. Then they are branded as some kind of horrible gestapo organization that no free agent should ever consider. As soon as Boston gets burnt, there is supposed to be some sort of league enforced warranty program? Why didn't they do independent medical exams on Pomeranz? "Well, the nice salesman told me they all make that noise, it's nothing."

Meh, whatever happened to "let the buyer beware?" The Orioles conduct pre-contract medicals and actually act upon them if something contained in their results is amiss. Then they are branded as some kind of horrible gestapo organization that no free agent should ever consider. As soon as Boston gets burnt, there is supposed to be some sort of league enforced warranty program? Why didn't they do independent medical exams on Pomeranz? "Well, the nice salesman told me they all make that noise, it's nothing."

I think that between the various deadlines and the logistical nightmares involved getting players to do physicals (a process can last more than a day) for possibly multiple teams that they do not work for is not a viable option.

I don't think he's made some bad deals this year....getting rid of Kemp and Shields and adding some nice prospects. I wish we had a GM that creative. So he got his hand caught in the cookie jar. Big deal. I think a lot of this stuff goes on.

Yeah but who traded for Kemp and signed Shields in the first place? Who took an improving .500 team to last place in the division? He's been awful in San Diego.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Preller suspensions<br>2010: as Asst GM with Texas for violating Int'l signing rules <br>2015: Fined for illegal workout<br>2016: Suspended yesterday</p>— Howard Bryant (@hbryant42) <a href="

">September 17, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Isn't suspending the GM a lot like tossing the manager? Everybody knows he's 10 feet down the tunnel just out of camera range running things all the same. And what's stopping the Padres from giving him a performance bonus at the end of the year coincidentally worth 30 days pay?

If you really want to make stuff like this stop you take away draft picks or the ability to sign free agents or pool money. Like the transfer bans FIFA is trying to impose on Real and Athletico Madrid. Commit rules violations and we'll actually impact your ability to win, not just tell the GM he has to pretend to not run things for 30 days.

Archived