At what point do you stop running Bundy out there?

LookitsPuck

I'm not trying to go for the reverse curse here, but I've been worried about Bundy for a couple weeks now.

His last 6 starts have not been good. Yes, he's battled through. But he's walking a lot of hitters. He's throwing a lot of pitches.

His last 6 starts:

6.21 ERA

.286/.393/.513 - .905 OPS

The .393 OBP is a very big issue. It's driven by 19 walks in only 29 IP.

That's a 5.9 BB/9.

Yes, the slugging percentage is high (largely driven by 7 homers), but the hits are also up. 34 hits and 19 walks in 29 IP is a 1.828 WHIP.

If you love/hate the quality start, he's had *2* in the last 6 starts. He's failed to get out of the 5th inning 3 out of his last 6 starts.

He's averaging 19 pitches/inning.

Now, I know your immediate question is going to be: well who starts in his place? I don't have answers to that. Miley is hurt and bad. The only real options you have is Mike Wright or Tyler Wilson.

Sooooo. I'm concerned that Bundy is at ~100 IP and 20-30 IP past his original innings limit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the die is cast. Bundy's staying in the rotation for the remainder of the season. Buck has gotten him an extra day's rest in his Sept. 13 start and in tonight's start, and he should get an extra day before his final start of the year as well. The bullpen is deep now and Buck won't go long with Bundy in any remaining games where he struggles a lot. There's still some risk, but it's one the Orioles are going to take.

And what about the playoffs? He could throw another 30-40 innings this season. Risk is mounting. If the performance is not there its harder and harder to justify taking it.

At the very least, I like the extra days rest. Pull him early and take advantage of the deep bullpen while you can.

And what about the playoffs? He could throw another 30-40 innings this season. Risk is mounting. If the performance is not there its harder and harder to justify taking it.

At the very least, I like the extra days rest. Pull him early and take advantage of the deep bullpen while you can.

We should shut him down like the Nats did with Strasburg to be safe! Limiting innings thrown by young pitchers clearly prevents future issues for sure. That's why we don't see as many injuries and surgeries like we did back in the day.

We should shut him down like the Nats did with Strasburg to be safe! Limiting innings thrown by young pitchers clearly prevents future issues for sure. That's why we don't see as many injuries and surgeries like we did back in the day.

He can keep pitching as long as he is one of the Orioles top four pitchers.

I think the die is cast. Bundy's staying in the rotation for the remainder of the season. Buck has gotten him an extra day's rest in his Sept. 13 start and in tonight's start, and he should get an extra day before his final start of the year as well. The bullpen is deep now and Buck won't go long with Bundy in any remaining games where he struggles a lot. There's still some risk, but it's one the Orioles are going to take.

As the O's cross the Rubicon... All though wouldn't that make more sense if it was the Yankees because they would be crossing the Rubicon to destroy the Republic and start the Evil Empire. Although the Republic had become corrupt and Caesar wasn't a bad emperor, although technically he was a dictator and not an emperor, Augustus was the first emperor of Rome.... I need to stop these random spontaneous musings. :)

When his flexor mass tendon becomes inflamed? :scratchchinhmm: When he isn't providing quality starting and there is someone better? :scratchchinhmm: If he says to Buck, " I need rest"? If his surgeon notices something and gives you a holler? :scratchchinhmm: ;)

Bundy, like all the Orioles players, is basically a commodity. You've got to use it when you need it. I think they held Bundy back to give him an extra day AND so that he would face Boston instead of Tampa. They need their best bullets in the gun.

By the way, the relationship between innings pitched and future injury is still not clear. Here's a recent study published by real scientists in a real peer-reviewed journal that shows no relationship between innings pitched and prior work load.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25784395

It seems very logical that high work load increases the chances of a future injury and it's easy to provide anecdotal examples; but it's not clear at all if there's a real relationship. A lot of pitchers are going to get hurt regardless of how limited their innings are.

Yeah because Strasburg hasn't had arm issues since then...

Archived