O's are making the playoffs

sevastras

I'm stunned at how pathetic everyone is acting around here. we are 82-70. We have our fate in our own hands. We can easily make the Wild Card, and wild card teams can and have won it all. I was as pessimistic as anyone headed into the season, but I just don't get why anyone would be pessimistic right now.

So we've lost the last 3 to a great team? This happens to good teams. This happens to great teams. Why the rush to bury one of the best teams the O's have had in my lifetime?

I'm stunned at how pathetic everyone is acting around here. we are 82-70. We have our fate in our own hands. We can easily make the Wild Card, and wild card teams can and have won it all. I was as pessimistic as anyone headed into the season, but I just don't get why anyone would be pessimistic right now.

So we've lost the last 3 to a great team? This happens to good teams. This happens to great teams. Why the rush to bury one of the best teams the O's have had in my lifetime?

This.^ Yes, wildcard teams have won it all. "It ain't over, till it's over"...Yogi Berra.

I agree. Playoffs are makable. Pessimism? Try the fact that the O's, what, 5 games under .500 since the All Star Break? If they had done that prior to the ASB, then they'd be well under .500.

I think that's the reason. It's not like it has been a few weeks of bad ball... they've been playing this way for months.

I'm still pulling for them... would love to see them get to the play in game

I agree. Playoffs are makable. Pessimism? Try the fact that the O's, what, 5 games under .500 since the All Star Break? If they had done that prior to the ASB, then they'd be well under .500.

I think that's the reason. It's not like it has been a few weeks of bad ball... they've been playing this way for months.

The 2006 Cardinals went 83-78. They went 4 games under in the second half and 9 games under AFTER MAY.

And then they went out and won the world series.

I'm still pulling for them... would love to see them get to the play in game

Pretty much agree with all of this. It's doable, yet the large sample size since then have them trending downward, unfortunately. The gut and throat punch of this homestand reminds me of a boxing match that's going horribly wrong late. Maybe they are Rocky. Let's hope so. Their knees are wobbling and there's blood streaming down their faces. Get some water in the corner, spit it out and cue the theme song.

In addition to the sub .500 ball since the ASG, following a 5 game win streak July 21-25, the O's have had only two 3 game winning streaks since then: Toronto-Rangers from July 31 - Aug. 3 and then the 3 in a row vs the Nats on Aug. 22-24. It's been a month since they've had a streak. Two in a row don't count in my opinion. If they bounce back to sweep or at least take two of the three remaining home games and then win 4 of the final six (on the road), it'll be a remarkable turnaround. We'll see. "Never give up!" as Scott likes to say, quoting Jimmy V. I'm there this weekend with hopes they'll right the ship. And maybe, just maybe today's game vs. Price - just this one game - could mean the difference in the final tally as to whether they play the Wild Card game at home or not. They've beat him before in big games.

Archived