Buck Hates Kim

Aristotelian

Enough is enough. Buck is on record as being against bunting in almost all circumstances. You have Hardy, a slow runner, on 1B. A successful bunt does not get him to sac fly position. Kim has been our best hitter and he is up against a RHP. There is absolutely no reason to take him out. Take him out for defense, fine. Sit him against lefties, fine. Buck has treated Kim like dirt since day one. I do not get it.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I would rather have had Bourn pinch run for Hardy, and either have Kim bunt or have Bourn take a chance at stealing 2B.

And I know that you don't know how that would have turned out, but Bourn would have been beaten that throw at home by a mile.

Enough is enough. Buck is on record as being against bunting in almost all circumstances. You have Hardy, a slow runner, on 1B. A successful bunt does not get him to sac fly position. Kim has been our best hitter and he is up against a RHP. There is absolutely no reason to take him out. Take him out for defense, fine. Sit him against lefties, fine. Buck has treated Kim like dirt since day one. I do not get it.

I assumed Bourn would pinch run for Hardy, not hit for Kim. Makes no sense.

I don't know anything about Kim's bunting ability, and that was one of the few situations where a sac bunt can actually be a fine idea. But I also thought it was strange decision.

I can understand Buck's thinking though. If the game went extra innings, he wanted to keep Hardy's glove and arm at SS.

I don't know anything about Kim's bunting ability, and that was one of the few situations where a sac bunt can actually be a fine idea. But I also thought it was strange decision.

Point is, he's a good hitter. Perhaps Bourn (as a runner) could have made it to 3rd on a base hit to RF as Kim should have been swinging away, not bunting.

Tell me the explanation then. There is no other explanation for treating Kim like dirt throughout the season and this decision in particular defies any rational sense.

I am pretty sure Buck doesn't like Kim. Perhaps he doesn't want to succeed because he tried to get rid of him in spring training and doesn't want to admit he was wrong. Maybe he feels DD forced him to keep Kim and he resents it. But to keep playing guys who fail over and over again instead of Kim has made no sense.

That explains why you don't PR Bourn. Why do you take out Kim when he is your best hitter vs RHP?

Because Buck called for a bunt, and Bourn is fast enough that he could out possibly outrun the bunt. If Buck wanted the hitter to swing away I'm sure he would have left Kim in. Bourn muffed the bunt though. Can't blame Buck for that.

Archived