Manny still worth 400 million?

brianod

Like the rest of the team, his production has declined in the second half. I think it has moved the needle down from "sign him for whatever he asks for" to something else. What that is, I don't know but someone needs to make that decision and someone needs to do it soon. Given DD's track record on major decisions, as opposed to fringe players, I have no faith in him to do it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Harper is worth 500m then manny is surely worth 400m.

How is Harper worth 500 million? I wouldn't give Manny 300 million much less 400 million. I don't know why you guys are so obsessed with Manny. All people do is complain about ticket prices yet they want to pay Machado insane amounts of money.

He was never worth $400 mm IMO, nor is anyone else. But I don't think his merely pretty good 2nd half changes his long term value much.
Agreed.

Manny is a cornerstone player you build around not let walk for a pick.

So you either trade him or extend him. Smart teams extend earlier.

What they said. Him and Schoop both.

This is Manny's age 23 season and I highly doubt it's his career year. He will get better as he has each year until 2018. Who knows what his market will be, but my guess upwards of 35 M

Manny has the chance to be the OMG!!!1 Musial, Mantle, Mike Schmidt. A possibility.

Before Harper completely fell off the table this year. That number was assuming he put up.numbers this year that he did last year.

Honestly, that was a number suggested by someone in the media who wasn't spending his own money. It was always a fantasy, but Harper's stock is obviously way down after a ho hum year in 2016, and even if he's great in 2017-18 I don't think his stock will be as high as it was after last season, since he's demonstrated that he won't necessarily play at a consistently superstar level.

But honestly, there is just nothing in the market to suggest a contract like that is coming. Mike Trout is the best player in the game, took a relatively short extension, and his highest annual salary will be $34.1 mm. Stanton and Cabrera top out at $32 mm. Those are their highest salaries, not the average. Manny might get more if he goes to free agency instead of signing an earlier extension, but I don't see a reason to think that a quantum leap is coming.

He was never worth $400 mm IMO, nor is anyone else. But I don't think his merely pretty good 2nd half changes his long term value much.

I don't know if he'll get $400M, but a 23/24-year-old with a career value of about 25 wins (i.e. he's already passed a handful of HOFers) is worth about whatever the ceiling is.

Nick Markakis was a very good young player. Through his age 23 season he was worth 6.7 wins. Through age 23 Manny has already had three individual seasons more valuable than that.

I don't know if he'll get $400M, but a 23/24-year-old with a career value of about 25 wins (i.e. he's already passed a handful of HOFers) is worth about whatever the ceiling is.

Nick Markakis was a very good young player. Through his age 23 season he was worth 6.7 wins. Through age 23 Manny has already had three individual seasons more valuable than that.

Yes, the last time a player this good reached free agency this young was ARod, and he got a record breaking deal. It's not crazy to think we could be seeing another pretty soon.

Archived