Why Not?

brianod

I've waited 27 years for revenge. The Blue Jays got lucky in 1989. I watched every pitch of that series and it was painful. Given our track record in Toronto, most fans would be satisfied with avoiding the sweep. Personally, I say let's turn the tables and sweep them. The heck with reason, logic and our road record. Why Not?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've waited 27 years for revenge. The Blue Jays got lucky in 1989. I watched every pitch of that series and it was painful. Given our track record in Toronto, most fans would be satisfied with avoiding the sweep. Personally, I say let's turn the tables and sweep them. The heck with reason, logic and our road record. Why Not?

Yeah, but sweeping them wouldn't end their season the way they ended ours. BTW, not every pitch was painful - Phil Bradley's 1st inning homer had me believing until the bitter end.

What a fun team that was...

I would sure like that.

I remember watching that series with my dad. Olson was a heart breaker.

Yeah, but sweeping them wouldn't end their season the way they ended ours. BTW, not every pitch was painful - Phil Bradley's 1st inning homer had me believing until the bitter end.

What a fun team that was...

Ya, getting ahead was sweet but losing late was extra painful. I still remember Olson bouncing that curveball like it was yesterday.

I'm an old man and I've certainly experienced more than my fair share of sports disappointments in my lifetime. And I know this shouldn't be, but to this day, I still consider the '89 Orioles not winning the AL East my single biggest disappointment in sports history. To experience what the '88 Orioles went through, followed by the '89 Orioles having a 7 1/2 game lead but unable to hold on, is just something I've never got over. Oh, how I would love to repay them these next three nights!

I'm an old man and I've certainly experienced more than my fair share of sports disappointments in my lifetime. And I know this shouldn't be, but to this day, I still consider the '89 Orioles not winning the AL East my single biggest disappointment in sports history. To experience what the '88 Orioles went through, followed by the '89 Orioles having a 7 1/2 game lead but unable to hold on, is just something I've never got over. Oh, how I would love to repay them these next three nights!

I have to agree. For some reason, even though I expected to win the WS in '97, I wanted it more in '89. Just a great group of guys to see come together against all odds and get so close. Yeah, we have never really gotten payback for that one, and I hate this current Jays team even more.

I have to agree. For some reason, even though I expected to win the WS in '97, I wanted it more in '89. Just a great group of guys to see come together against all odds and get so close. Yeah, we have never really gotten payback for that one, and I hate this current Jays team even more.

Losing the '69 World Series to the Mets and the Colts loss to the Jets in Super Bowl III should rank as bigger disappointments but they don't. Like you said, to see that great group of guys come together like they did was so special!

Losing the '69 World Series to the Mets and the Colts loss to the Jets in Super Bowl III should rank as bigger disappointments but they don't. Like you said, to see that great group of guys come together like they did was so special!

I was negative five years old in '69 and I grew up in DC as a Skins fan, otherwise I would agree!

I liked that season and wasn't disappointed at all. They weren't expected to do as well as they did. I am just glad they played as well as they did. It was a fun season. Pick just about any Capitals season if you want disappointment.

I went to the Friday night game in Toronto, which the Jays tied on Gregg Olson's wild pitch in the 8th and won in the 11th, 2-1. I am mostly over it -- my most scarring Orioles moments came in 1969, 1971, 1979 and 1982, when I was younger. But when the Orioles play in Toronto the deep disappointment of that weekend comes back.

I went to the Friday night game in Toronto, which the Jays tied on Gregg Olson's wild pitch in the 8th and won in the 11th, 2-1. I am mostly over it -- my most scarring Orioles moments came in 1969, 1971, 1979 and 1982, when I was younger. But when the Orioles play in Toronto the deep disappointment of that weekend comes back.

How about the 14 straight years of losing. I will take 79, 82 and 89 over any of those seasons.

Ya, getting ahead was sweet but losing late was extra painful. I still remember Olson bouncing that curveball like it was yesterday.

And Jamie Quirk not being able to block it.

And a few minutes later, I found out my favorite aunt had passed away from lung cancer.

Archived