Not who you want, who do you expect to win the Series?

scOtt

Who will win it?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win it?

• Boston
    • Toronto
    • Texas
    • Cleveland
    • Washington
    • Chicago
    • San Francisco
    • Los Angeles

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs. They're the best team. Their rotation is deep, but even the top of it is better than everyone else's. Good offense, good bullpen, great defense. They have no weaknesses.

Hopefully they sweep the Giants so I never have to hear about this "even year" nonsense again. It was stupid two years ago...and it's stupid now.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say I "expect" the Cubs to win the World Series, since in the present playoff format no team has a >50% chance. But they are the b st team, and have the best chance.

Part of me wants their long-suffering fans to experience a championship, part of me wants them to lose because I'm sick of the media build-up and the fawning over Theo Epstein (even though a lot of it is deserved).

If you look at World Series champions in recent years, most of them had one thing in common. The back end of their bullpens were exceptional. The Royals had Herrera, Madson and Davis last year. The three WS Giants teams had Jeremy Affeldt who has the lowest postseason ERA of all-time along with other really good relievers such as Santiago Casilla, Sergio Romo and Brian Wilson in 2010. The 2013 Red Sox had Koji who was absolutely unhittable coming out of the bullpen, the 2008 Phillies had Brad Lidge who was perfect in save opportunities, the 2007 Red Sox had Papelbon and the 2009 Yankees had Mariano Rivera. Out of all the teams left in the playoffs, I really like the Indians bullpen the best with Otero, Miller and Allen. OTOH, the Cubs have Chapman who is exceptional but I really don't trust the likes of Rondon, Cahill and Strop in close games. I think the middle relief will eventually be the Cubs downfall in the playoffs.

The Cubs. They're the best team. Their rotation is deep, but even the top of it is better than everyone else's. Good offense, good bullpen, great defense. They have no weaknesses.

Hopefully they sweep the Giants so I never have to hear about this "even year" nonsense again. It was stupid two years ago...and it's stupid now.

I like the even year thing, but those Cubs... They are a sick team!

Archived