Caught stealing % - 3rd

Passed balls % - 1st

SB attempts/inning - 4th

SB/inning - 3rd

CERA - 2nd (!)

dWAR - 3rd

Fangraphs' defense - 3rd

Fielding % - 9th

You can make a plausible case for Wieters to be one of the three nominees, though I expect Sal Perez will win once again. He wasn't as good at blocking pitches as in the past (more wild pitches, though only 1 PB), BP's framing stats have him a little below average and he did make 11 errors, but I won't be surprised if he gets a nomination.

I know we don't put much stock in CERA, but I was surprised to see his at 4.00.

700 inning minimum for all rate stats -- 10 catchers meet this criterion

Innings caught - 3rd

Caught stealing % - 3rd

Passed balls % - 1st

SB attempts/inning - 4th

SB/inning - 3rd

CERA - 2nd (!)

dWAR - 3rd

Fangraphs' defense - 3rd

Fielding % - 9th

You can make a plausible case for Wieters to be one of the three nominees, though I expect Sal Perez will win once again. He wasn't as good at blocking pitches as in the past (more wild pitches, though only 1 PB), BP's framing stats have him a little below average and he did make 11 errors, but I won't be surprised if he gets a nomination.

I know we don't put much stock in CERA, but I was surprised to see his at 4.00.

Wieters is a better C than most here give him credit for.

Wieters is a better C than most here give him credit for.

Wieters has been a very good defensive catcher for years. This was not his best. At times he was really struggling.

As bad as catching has been this season I guess he could be top three, but he doesn't deserve the award.

• 3 weeks later...
Nope.

Carlos Perez

James McCann

Salvador Perez

GG nomination thread will be forthcoming.

I'm slightly surprised to see Carlos Perez on the list, since he started less than half of his team's games. He is a good defensive catcher, though. In any event, I'm confident that Sal Perez will win the GG.

He was. He's slower than he was when he was in his mid-20s. It shows in his release - it used to be lightning fast.

He still showed that at times this season. He nailed that runner at first in Toronto was a thing of beauty.

An older MW is still better behind the plate than a majority of his peers.

I'm slightly surprised to see Carlos Perez on the list, since he started less than half of his team's games. He is a good defensive catcher, though. In any event, I'm confident that Sal Perez will win the GG.

I guess that would prove that pitch framing isn't included in the decision since he's in the bottom third to bottom quarter.

I guess that would prove that pitch framing isn't included in the decision since he's in the bottom third to bottom quarter.

Nah GG voting isn't that in depth. What matters more is that Salvador Perez has won the last 3 AL GG's. Over the years voters just go on auto pilot with voting guys. S. Perez wins it easily.

Nah GG voting isn't that in depth. What matters more is that Salvador Perez has won the last 3 AL GG's. Over the years voters just go on auto pilot with voting guys. S. Perez wins it easily.

Putting aside autopilot, Perez caught the most innings of any catcher in the AL, had a 48% CS%, and is rated tops defensively by fangraphs. BP has him 1st in throwing runs and blocking runs in the AL. They do see him as a poor framer, but I do not think GG voters are ready to accept that framing is nearly as impactful as the current stats suggest.

Archived