2016 Arizona Fall League - Bird Watching

Legend_Of_Joey

For the 2016 Arizona Fall League Season, the Orioles sent 7 players to head West for a month and a half of games, on the Peoria Javelinas.

P's - Stefan Crichton, Jesus Liranzo, Tanner Scott, and Jimmy Yacabonis

C - Austin Wynns

IF - Adrian Marin

OF - DJ Stewart

Stewart competed as the Orioles representative in the Bowman Hitting Challenge and placed 2nd overall.

The first game was on 10/11/2016.

Tanner Scott started and went 2 innings, allowing 2 hits, 1 Run, 1 ER, 1 Walk, 1 strike out, and 1 wild pitch. He threw 42 pitches, 29 for strikes. He touched 99 a lot of times.

Jimmy Yacabonis went 1 1/3 inning, with 1 hit and 1 strike out. He threw 23 pitches, 16 for strikes.

DJ Stewart was the only position player to see time. He had 6 at bats, with 3 hits (1 double), 1 walk, and a stolen base.

Next game is a day game, as this one was a night one.

Please note, I'll update this as best I can. I'm out of town next week, will catch up the thread unless someone wants to take over, then I'm good for a week until a surgery. After that, I'll try my best.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually attend a few AFL games each season

This was my first opening "night"

Largest crowd that I've been a part of -- nearly 1000 in attendance

Game delayed for 1/2 hour in the top of the 10th when the automatic timer dimmed the stadium lights

Nice evening and a decent game

Both homers were absolute bombs -- especially Cron's

O's players looked pretty good:

Only one of DJ Stewart's hits was well struck -- a sharp single up the middle; his double was a ground skimmer off the end of the bat just inside the 3rd base bag; with 2 strikes, he chased low/outside pitches, but he got his bat on them; he didn't look over-matched; most of the opposing pitchers threw in the low to mid 90's and the only ball that he pulled was a handle hit grounder to the second baseman

Tanner Scott looked good -- in the 1st inning, there were too many consecutive fastballs in the same place and 4 batters in a row struck the ball sharply; he was mostly around the plate and located the ball well in his 2nd inning; terrific arm -- pitched out of the stretch

Jimmy Yacabonis -- retired 4 of 5 batters faced; didn't throw a strike in warm-ups; threw mostly strikes thereafter; all batted balls in play (and fouls) were in the air; pitched out of the stretch

Questions/Comments?

I usually attend a few AFL games each season

This was my first opening "night"

Largest crowd that I've been a part of -- nearly 1000 in attendance

Game delayed for 1/2 hour in the top of the 10th when the automatic timer dimmed the stadium lights

Nice evening and a decent game

Both homers were absolute bombs -- especially Cron's

O's players looked pretty good:

Only one of DJ Stewart's hits was well struck -- a sharp single up the middle; his double was a ground skimmer off the end of the bat just inside the 3rd base bag; with 2 strikes, he chased low/outside pitches, but he got his bat on them; he didn't look over-matched; most of the opposing pitchers threw in the low to mid 90's and the only ball that he pulled was a handle hit grounder to the second baseman

Tanner Scott looked good -- in the 1st inning, there were too many consecutive fastballs in the same place and 4 batters in a row struck the ball sharply; he was mostly around the plate and located the ball well in his 2nd inning; terrific arm -- pitched out of the stretch

Jimmy Yacabonis -- retired 4 of 5 batters faced; didn't throw a strike in warm-ups; threw mostly strikes thereafter; all batted balls in play (and fouls) were in the air; pitched out of the stretch

Questions/Comments?

So Stewart looked like Kim to you?

So Stewart looked like Kim to you?

I was not disappointed with what I saw -- DJ Stewart faced pitchers throwing in the low to mid 90's and was not particularly selective in choosing which pitches at which to swing (few of the batters were); I'll have to see more of him -- he may have issues with pitch recognition and/or bat speed

Thank you. Great job. Do you see Yacabonis in the mix in Baltimore next year?

He certainly has a shot. I followed him through Frederick and Bowie this year and he has good control and aim. He mainly worked in the closer role. If they get rid of Britton for some reason, I think he could take over in 2 seasons or so. If he gets up there next season, he will probably have a role similar to Donnie Hart, as a specialty or a middle reliever.

Scott is on a pretty decent program there, scheduled for 3 innings and mainly working on control issues.

AZRon, Stewart was like that in Delmarva and Frederick. He got better through his stint in Frederick after being horrible in Delmarva. As the season goes on, he'll probably pick it up a bit. He will have the most playing time out of the ones that are there though, due to his high status (draft wise mainly).

Well, 2 games and 2 ties. Here is how the 'birds performed away from their nest.

Austin Wynns (Catcher) - 2 for 6, 2 strikeouts, no passed balls. 3 bases were stolen. 1 was on a ball in the dirt (See Liranzo breakdown) and the other was a sucessful double steal of second and home. Not sure what went on with that. He did work the count several times and fouled off several pitches. Left 1 runner in scoring postion. The whole team left 13 players on base.

Adrian Marin (Shortstop) - 2 for 4, 2 rbis, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 strike outs. No errors. Worked the count a few times, swung on early in the count on others. Had a 2 out rbi.

Stefan Crichton (Relief Pitcher) - 2 IP, 2 hits, 2 strike outs, 27 pitches, 21 strikes, 2 groundouts, 0 flyouts, 8 batters faced

Jesus Liranzo (Relief Pitcher) - 1 2/3 IP, 1 hit (home run), 1 run, 1 earned run, 2 walks, 1 strikeout, 37 pitches, 19 strikes, 2 groundouts, 1 flyouts. Also had a base stolen against him on a breaking ball in the dirt. A cannon wouldn't have thrown the runner out on that.

Peoria finally played a game and didn't tie! They won!

Only two birds got time in the game for October 13th. No pitchers threw for Peoria from the Orioles.

DJ Stewart - 2 *official* at bats, 0 hits, 1 strikeout, 3 walks, 1 run scored, 1.207 OPS

Adrian Marin (played 3rd base today) - 3 at bats, 1 hit, 1 strikeout, 1 walk, 1 stolen base, 1 run scored, 1.127 OPS

Neither had an extra base hit and neither had an error. Their OPS was 3rd and 4th highest for their team today. So far, the birds are doing good so far.

Peoria had an early game today. Not much from Birdland to see here, except the pitcher.

DJ Stewart (DH) - 4 ABs, 0 hits, 1 RBI, 1 strike out, .831 OPS

Adrian Marin (2B) - 3 ABs, 0 hits, .817 OPS. Also was part of a part 6-4-3 double play

No errors by the Birds so far, despite almost everyone else in the league making them.

Jimmy Yacabonis (RP) - 1 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 1 strike out (swinging), 8 pitches, 6 strikes, 1 groundout, 0 flyouts, 1 line out

Unfortunately, Peoria is playing the late game tonight and I can't stay up. Fly out early in the morning and won't be back for a week, so I can't do the updates for tonights game and next week until late Saturday/early Sunday. If someone wants to fill in, cool. If not, I'll get them when I get back.

Only Oriole starting tonight is Austin Wynns as the designated hitter.

Hey guys! Just got back in town. Time for some updates...

October 15th

Austin Wynns (DH) - 4 At Bats, 1 run, 1 walk, 3 strike outs, grounded into 1 double play

Stefan Crichton (RP) - 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 6 pitches, 5 strikes, 2 ground outs

October 17th

DJ Stewart (LF) - 4 At Bats, 1 hit (triple), 1 RBI, 1 Walk, 1 strike out

Adrian Marin (SS) - 2 At Bats, 1 run, 1 rbi, 1 walk, 1 sac fly, was part of 2 double plays as a fielder

Tanner Scott (SP) - 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 1 run (earned), 23 pitches, 15 strikes, 4 ground outs, 1 fly out, 8 batters faced

Jimmy Yacabonis (RP) - 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 run (earned), 1 wild pitch, 18 pitches, 11 strikes, 2 ground outs

October 18th

Stefan Crichton (RP) - 1.0 IP, 1 hit, 1 strike out, 16 pitches, 11 strikes, 1 flyout, 4 batters faced (got the save)

October 19th

DJ Stewart (LF) - 4 At Bats, 0 hits, grounded into 2 double plays

Austin Wynns (DH) - 3 At bats, 1 hit

Adrian Marin (2nd base) - 2 At bats, 1 hit, 1 run, 1 walk, 1 strike out

October 20th

DJ Stewart (LF) - 4 At bats, 1 hit (double), 2 runs, 1 rbi, 1 walk, 1 strike out

Austin Wynns © - 3 at bats, 1 walk, caught a runner stealing second

Jimmy Yacabonis (RP) - 1.2 IP, 2 walks, 4 strike outs, 41 pitches, 24 strikes, 7 batters faced, got the save

October 21st

Adrian Marin (SS) - 3 At Bats, 0 hits, 1 strike out, 1 sacrifice

Stefan Crichton (RP) - 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, 1 strike out, 10 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 batters faced

October 22nd

DJ Stewart (DH) - 4 At Bats, 0 Hits, 2 Strike Outs

Adrian Marin (3rd Base) - 3 At Bats, 0 Hits, 2 Strike Outs, reached on a HBP and was caught stealing

Tanner Scott (SP) - 2.0 IP, 1 hit, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts, 0 ER, 1 HBP, 45 pitches, 27 strikes, faced 10 batters.

Stewart has a .185 average, Marin has a .200 average, Wynns has a .188 average.

Scott has a 3.00 ERA, Crichton is perfect (0.00 ERA), Yacabonis has a 1.80 ERA, and Liranzo has a 5.40 ERA (and only 1 apperance so far)

Batting isn't going to well for the birds. Those averages are struggling, even with that league. They aren't top in strike outs though. They are making some contact, it just isn't getting through.

As far as fielding, so far they have made a combined 0 errors and Wynns has no passed balls. The rest of the catches on Peoria have multiple errors, passed balls, and stolen bases against them. Marin has also played multiple infield spots and has been consisten. Wynns has been DH'ing and needs to improve the hitting, but the defense has been there. Stewart seems to be doing Stewart things.

Pitching has been good. Crichton has been a huge bright spot and so has Yacabonis. No clue what is going on with Liranzo.

Monday, October 24th game:

DJ Stewart (LF) - 3 At bats, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 rbi, 2 walks, 1 strike out, 1 stolen base

Stefan Crichton (RP) - 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 run (unearned), 21 pitches, 15 strikes, 2 groundouts, 6 batters faced

Jimmy Yacabonis (RP) - 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 2 strike outs, 10 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 batters faced

Crichton still has a 0.00 ERA and Yacabonis is tearing it up too.

Archived