Uh Oh - "Apres nous le deluge"

weams

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/nfl-ratings-plunge-could-spell-doom-for-traditional-tv/2016/10/14/a7a23dc2-915f-11e6-9c85-ac42097b8cc0_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_nfl-720pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Network executives have long used the National Football League's live games as a last line of defense against the rapid growth of "cord-cutting" and on-demand viewing upending the industry.

But now, the NFL is seeing its ratings tumble in the same way that the Olympics, awards shows and other live events have, falling more than 10 percent for the first five weeks of the season compared with the first five weeks of last season. A continued slide, executives say, could pose an even bigger danger: If football can't survive the new age of TV, what can?

Football's traditional TV audience "is never going to be what it was again," said Brian Hughes, a senior vice president at Magna Global, which tracks audience and advertising trends.

The explosion of modern entertainment options, offered on more devices and at any time, has splintered American audiences and sped TV's decline, Hughes said. "Sports seemed to be immune from it - it was live, the last bastion of broadcast television. But [the world] has caught up to it now."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess that is a theory too. Is he expert on media trends?

Im sure if you ask him he would tell you so since he thinks of himself as an expert on many things. :D

I dont recall everything he said but he said its like this for every election and the number of viewers missing from the NFL are the same number that are watching the election coverage. He said that if Trump wins the ratings will be back to normal right away. But if he loses there will be a couple weeks of Trump complaining so the ratings may be affected as some viewers follow that.

I guess we will see . . . . . .

Colin Cowherd said this week the ratings drop is directly tied into the political season and after the election they will be right back up to normal.

If this is true, has any media experts analyzed NFL ratings in past election cycles? The Sunday/Monday nights games have been pretty bad this year. Colt/Texans tomorrow, yuck.

MLB is different from the NFL in that black participation is minimal. People are tired of the shucking and jiving. I know I am.

Putting aside the whatever the hell is going on in this post, for the sake of conversation, I do see football suffering from a lot of culture issues right now. Game is impossibly slow and the broadcasts are unbelievably stupid and loud. Dumb players making a lot of dumb plays and getting arrested in their free time. I just sort of hate everyone on the screen and in the booth all at the same time.

Orioles had a lot of difficult moments and periods this year but I never, ever gave up on the players. I love absolutely everyone on the field or in the office. Even Angelos I take as more of a bumbler than a malicious owner. I don't get such a feeling from football. I have had enough of the violence in every respect of that game.

I can only speak for myself. But football is my second sport. It's basically something to do until baseball comes around again. About a decade or so ago, I would watch my team and one or two other games through the week. It's changed for me now since I got sick of the NFL constantly tooting it's own horn. Now I watch my team and my team only. With no extra games even during the playoffs. Some years I don't even watch the superbowl and I don't feel like I missed a thing.

I can only speak for myself. But football is my second sport. It's basically something to do until baseball comes around again. About a decade or so ago, I would watch my team and one or two other games through the week. It's changed for me now since I got sick of the NFL constantly tooting it's own horn. Now I watch my team and my team only. With no extra games even during the playoffs. Some years I don't even watch the superbowl and I don't feel like I missed a thing.

For me it's my third sport, after baseball and college basketball. I used to care a lot, but lost interest about 20 years ago, not because the sport got worse, but I got busy on Sunday afternoons with little league baseball and some other reasons. I still watch parts of games during the season and most of the late round playoffs. But I certainly don't plan my weekends around it, it's just a way to pass time if nothing else is going on.

Archived