Should we do a qualifying offer to Trumbo and Wieters?

1968_bills_fan

"Players who are departing at the end of the year are offered a Qualifying Offer within five days after the World Series. Over the next seven days, players have the option of accepting or declining the qualifying offer, and if they decline the offer, the team that signs the player would have to give up a draft pick at the upcoming 2017 Major League Baseball Draft."

QO to Trump and get the draft pick. He is the homerun leader and somebody will offer him more the $16.7 million or a multi-year deal.

Wieters took the QO last year and now is healthy and batting fairly well. Use the money to extend some of the young stars on the team. Find a veteran defensive catcher if you are not happy with Joseph's poor batting average. Use the draft pick to restock an outfielder or pitcher in the farm system. Or trade some other high draft pick for a high OBP young outfielder.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah there is a reason Trump's teammates are walking away so fast.

I do give one to Trumbo though. And not Wieters. Trumbo wants to cash in on40+ homers. Wieters isn't going to get near $17+m from anyone though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trumbo is automatic. Heck NO to Wieters. Last year you could understand because nobody had literally ever taken one. But no way this year. You give it to him and he easily accepts. That's us paying him 2/32 for the last two seasons. Does anyone think he was worth 15 or 17 million last year?

It's a slippery slope. He could improve next year over this years stats and still not be worth it. Then we're sitting here next year with the same decision. IF you pull the trigger this year you might be looking at paying MW 3/51 for 15'-17'. That's nuts. It's time to either sign him to a team friendly extension or be done with him.

Sisco is near ready. I don't know why people are more high on him. We cry about not having a pure hitter and OBP machine, and then we tear down our best hitting prospect because at 21-22 he doesn't it 20 HR's. It's ridiculous. The defense will be there. Besides there are tons of threads on here about MW's defense and terrible pitch framing. He does have a TJ arm back there.

I say roll with Sisco/Joseph bring back Clevenger as a depth signing. Then look in FA for a guy Nick Hundley on a 1 year deal, just in case Sisco needs some more AAA seasoning. I think he's ready. Most of the really good prospects skip AAA entirely. Catchers might be different but I'd hand the kid the job out of ST and see what happens.

Yes to both. Wieters might take it but there's value in a one year deal. It's contracts that just never seem to end (Ubaldo, Davis in a couple years) that really suck.

That's correct, because it's a well known fact that regardless of how monumentally stupid a one-year contract might be, the money that would have been available to spend on actual needs will magically reappear if you close your eyes, cross your fingers, take a deep breath and say - with complete conviction - "there's no such thing as a bad one-year contract".

It's amazing how many GM's. not to mention owners, are enslaved to such outmoded concepts as fiscal common sense. One the one hand, here's 15% of my entire yearly budget for the final year of the current competitive window, on the other hand here's a 15% chance that I might acquire a player who might be league average in 4-5 years. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions...

Archived